Michael Bloomberg: Brexit is stupidest thing any country has done besides Trump

webfact

17 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

If by that they mean they are better than others, I would indeed not like it. But if they mean that they are culturally different, I applaud it.

PS. The Haka is performed not only by Maoris, but also by white Kiwis.

It usually means they are proud to represent their country. In other words, flag waving and anthem singing patriotism.

And I said Kiwis.  

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, aright said:

I agree with a lot of what you say OH but I can't stay silent on this one.

I would have thought that patriotism is a good thing as long as it doesn't contradict civilised behavior. We would all, in the UK, possibly be speaking German today had it not been for patriotism

What we shouldn't do however, imo is conflate patriotism and nationalism....that's a different story.

Maybe the problem is that we give the words patriotism and nationalism a different meaning?

To me, they basically mean war mongering. That is what they meant throughout history. Perhaps to you they mean cultural difference?

As for "we would be speaking German":

History is written by the winners.

Had history been different, maybe you would defend patriotism by stating "we would still be speaking English" had it not been for German patriotism.

Far fetched? How about French and Spanish, that developed from the Roman invader's language?

Cultures change.

We can not prevent that change.

4 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Maybe the problem is that we give the words patriotism and nationalism a different meaning?

To me, they basically mean war mongering. That is what they meant throughout history.

If this is your view, then you and I will never agree on this topic. And that's fine.

I  have already qualified Patriotism by saying its good  as long as it doesn't contradict civilised behaviour. Killing for trivial reasons crosses the civilised behaviour line as does the stupidity of superiority by dint of where you were born. Imo both are expressions of Nationalism. Both of those sentiments could well describe the Third Reich.

3 minutes ago, aright said:

I  have already qualified Patriotism by saying its good  as long as it doesn't contradict civilised behaviour. Killing for trivial reasons crosses the civilised behaviour line as does the stupidity of superiority by dint of where you were born. Imo both are expressions of Nationalism. Both of those sentiments could well describe the Third Reich.

OK, so we may slightly disagree on the linguistics, but we agree on the essence.

Not sure though whether some of the other posters on this and similar threads think similarly.

8 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Do you like Europe so much that you learned some European languages?

And there is no need to repeat the words you were banned for.

I have not read those words in many other posts though, so maybe the mods had a point?

Many years ago when touring France with my hang glider on the roof of my car i learnt enough French to to get by, far from fluent though.

I live here in Thailand, as i believe you do, and i spend an hour a day on Flash cards learning Thai, i can read and write quite well. I do what i can to integrate here. If i remember correctly you can't speak Thai or very little, does that make one of us better? Not in my eyes. :)

Actually when i wrote the comment it was tongue in cheek, but there many  insults (if you call ignorance an insult, i don't) here.

Edited by chrissables

To the mods.

Can you please stop all of the irrelevant posts, clear out all the rubbish posts, petty insults, squabbles  etc and PLEASE try to get the post back on track.

it is like being back in primary school where the children are immature and cannot have an adult discussion without falling into the he said, no I didn't, yes you did syndrome.

In the beginning it was quite an interesting thread, but now it has degenerated into nothing and might as well be closed for all the use it is.

29 minutes ago, chrissables said:

I moved to live here full time, do you think i should not integrate?

That would depend on your age, your financial  contibutions to Thai society, and the willingness of the Thai government to allow you to integrate.

When my wife registered in my home country, she was immediately given an ID card and permanent residence (we spend only 1 month a year there) and an invitation - in Thai - for a free language and integration course. She is also covered by our NHS, same as me. Therefore I think it is only fair that she tries to integrate.

And you?

9 hours ago, billd766 said:

To the mods.

Can you please stop all of the irrelevant posts, clear out all the rubbish posts, petty insults, squabbles  etc and PLEASE try to get the post back on track.

it is like being back in primary school where the children are immature and cannot have an adult discussion without falling into the he said, no I didn't, yes you did syndrome.

In the beginning it was quite an interesting thread, but now it has degenerated into nothing and might as well be closed for all the use it is.

Please use the report button for posts that violate the rules.   

9 hours ago, billd766 said:

To the mods.

QUOTE:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

And what I dislike most, is a kid that runs to the headmaster, demanding that the school be closed.

15 minutes ago, Scott said:

Please use the report button for posts that violate the rules.   

It is not necessarily the post that violate the rules that is the problem but if you read the entire thread it has wandered away for the subject to something that perhaps would be better off in bedlam, where the children can play to their hearts content, while the rest of us can get on with the thread.

There are 525 posts on this thread already.

I am not going to waste my time examining each one to find ones that violate the rules.

It is a simple request to get back on the subject.

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

It is not necessarily the post that violate the rules that is the problem but if you read the entire thread it has wandered away for the subject to something that perhaps would be better off in bedlam, where the children can play to their hearts content, while the rest of us can get on with the thread.

I am not going to waste my time examining each one to find ones that violate the rules.

apply for a job as moderator!

Just now, billd766 said:

Now why would I want a job like that?

They seem to have enough already.

Why don't you apply?

I do not apply because as far as I am concerned, people can post whatever they like - within the limits of decency.

And because there always is the ignore button.

Not to mention getting a life in the real world.

I don't even take offence when some posters resort to the "all you say, you are yourself" strategy.

No leave it be!! It’s very entertaining when you have a spare ten minutes given me many a laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

15 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:
2 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

it will take at least 40 years to recover from Brexit - that's when we finally rejoin the EU.

And how did you figure this out?

Didn't you know? Remainers have discovered the source for the best crystal balls in the world. Several of them are starting careers as 'Mystic Megs' when they've finished arguing about brexit.

7 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Didn't you know? Remainers have discovered the source for the best crystal balls in the world. Several of them are starting careers as 'Mystic Megs' when they've finished arguing about brexit.

I think we should check if he has a DeLorean parked in his garage

It's the anthem of many Remainers who want to justify their vote (conviction) by looking forward to "Project Fail"

Dusty Springfield sang the Hal David song "Wishing and Hoping and Thinking and Praying"

Let's get this thing done!

On 10/25/2017 at 1:03 PM, oldhippy said:

In theory, referenda are the summum of democracy: the people decide.

In reality, the people are not told what their choices mean.

The British could only vote IN or OUT, they could not vote IN under what conditions or OUT under what conditions.

They were given a nonsensical choice.

They were given a simple choice in or out with ambiguity. A number of issues for people to consider, list your pros and cons and make your decision. 

The people voted to leave by 52-48 % and I suspect that if it were to be re run  today the margin would be far wider. There will be no 2nd referendum, accept it and get on with life.