Michael Bloomberg: Brexit is stupidest thing any country has done besides Trump

webfact

3 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Nothing about finance it's about unelected men ruling 500 million people,  

Currently sitting 73 MPs from the Uk in the EU Parliament.

Can you please explain how they came there, as you claim - unelected?

Are they send by the Queen or what?

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

We encounter this kind of idiocy in every brexit debate. In national elections, the populace have a very good idea what to expect when they cast their vote. In EP elections, people vote roughly along the same party political lines that they would in national elections, but they get a fractured, small percentage of the EU parliament. Could somebody please explain to me (leaving out the hyperbole and outright spam) how this is representative democracy, how people are directly voting for governance that they wanted? I mean, if the assorted national groups that stand in the EP elections joined up into formal groups and campaigned on Europe-wide tickets, there might be a case for the EP being democratic. But that hasn't even begun to happen, and imo the EU will do everything it can to stop that from happening.

3 hours ago, dundee48 said:

Never ceases to amaze me,this is the biggest remoaner lie of them all as has been explained umpteen times.

Where does it say on the bus that the NHS will get all of the money the UK gives the EU?

It was provided here , 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/nigel-farage-350-million-pledge-to-fund-the-nhs-was-a-mistake/

26 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

Nobody in their right mind actually believed that 350m per week would go to the NHS. The slogan never said that. I read it as more money WOULD be available to fund the NHS but not the full 350m.

Unlike Corbyn who said he WOULD wipe out student debt.

image.png.e795f83c7354087b178c63108997b9d1.png

7 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Nobody in their right mind actually believed that 350m per week would go to the NHS. The slogan never said that. I read it as more money WOULD be available to fund the NHS but not the full 350m.

image.png.e795f83c7354087b178c63108997b9d1.png

Giselle Stuart , vote leave co-chair declared she would spend it on the NHS.

Boris is saying if you rely on information that's written on the side of a bus, you seriously need to change your reading material. 

Having said that I'm still waiting for the bus boy to deliver my morning copy of my Routemaster.

Boris-Johnson_2108822a.jpg

3 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Brexit is going to put the 'Great' back into Britain.

On 10/25/2017 at 1:29 PM, MrPatrickThai said:

This has turned into a Trump subforum.

Everyone has to get their little dig in to the US president.

Keep it about Brexit. And we Brits don't actually give a toss what Bloomberg thinks.

Apparently, his network doesn't care, either, because they rarely, if ever, mention him.  Likewise we Americans don't give a toss what Butch Merkel or the rest of the EuroTrash think about Trump or anything else.  No means Yes, just like Brexit.  Short term pain for long term gain.  Everyone in my immediate family is having their best year ever; we started with zero.  New York strip 4.99 a pound and I wanted to try the beer from the new US Guineas Brewery but the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ales for 14.99 a 12 pack were just too good, but of course we dont have any good beer in the US.

8 hours ago, oldhippy said:

The European Parliament is not elected?

You are correct the E Parliament is elected but they can only rubber stamp what the EU commission in Brussels bring to the chamber. They can debate it, they cannot alter it. The people who make up the rules are the people who were never elected but actually control the way the EU is run. a bit like the way the Russians used to run things pre 1980. 

10 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

But £350m per week was under the control of the EU. Scroll up to see my attempt at explaining it to you.

an appropriate answer of mine would have earned me "holidays" and that would have made the weekend(s) when the markets are closed even more boring. :guitar:

18 minutes ago, nong38 said:

You are correct the E Parliament is elected but they can only rubber stamp what the EU commission in Brussels bring to the chamber. They can debate it, they cannot alter it. The people who make up the rules are the people who were never elected but actually control the way the EU is run. a bit like the way the Russians used to run things pre 1980. 

correct! and most of the people who make these rules (i only refer to the German EU "delegates") are the clowns the federal government wants to get rid off. that's why they are sent off to Brussels. :angry:

7 hours ago, dundee48 said:

Never ceases to amaze me,this is the biggest remoaner lie of them all as has been explained umpteen times.

Where does it say on the bus that the NHS will get all of the money the UK gives the EU?

it doesn't say. the lie is embedded in the amount £350 million per week whereas the net contribution amount is £165 million per week.

or shall we call the difference of £ 9,620,000,000 (9.6 billion) per annum a slight Brexiteer exaggeration? :sleep:

7 hours ago, Khun Han said:

We encounter this kind of idiocy in every brexit debate. In national elections, the populace have a very good idea what to expect when they cast their vote. In EP elections, people vote roughly along the same party political lines that they would in national elections, but they get a fractured, small percentage of the EU parliament. Could somebody please explain to me (leaving out the hyperbole and outright spam) how this is representative democracy, how people are directly voting for governance that they wanted? I mean, if the assorted national groups that stand in the EP elections joined up into formal groups and campaigned on Europe-wide tickets, there might be a case for the EP being democratic. But that hasn't even begun to happen, and imo the EU will do everything it can to stop that from happening.

There are formal groups.

Members of Parliament are elected by country, but they work together in the European Parliament not according to their national affiliation but according to their political orientation. As in national parliaments, there are political groups that organize members of similar political orientation and party affiliation. The special feature of the European Parliament is the multiplicity of national parties, which form a group. There are currently seven political groups in the European Parliament, representing over 200 national parties.

6 hours ago, vogie said:

Boris is saying if you rely on information that's written on the side of a bus, you seriously need to change your reading material. 

Having said that I'm still waiting for the bus boy to deliver my morning copy of my Routemaster.

Boris-Johnson_2108822a.jpg

It used to say OXO on the side of a bus but you could never buy any :cheesy:

Can we please move beyond the deliberate misrepresentation on the side of the 'brexit bus' (inferring that all the UK contribution towards the EU budget would be spent on the NHS) - and the outright lies spouted by both sides during the campaign.  e.g. Osborne's promised 'punishment budget' if the electorate voted to leave the EU.

Pointing out the various lies has been 'done to death' and this thread is about bloomberg's comment.

The thread morphing into the 'general' brexit topic is fair enough and understandable, but we (or more accurately, I :laugh:) get bored reading the same, old arguments thread after thread....

56 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

The thread morphing into the 'general' brexit topic is fair enough and understandable, but we (or more accurately, I :laugh:) get bored reading the same, old arguments thread after thread....

within the last 36 hours i've read a dozen new ridiculous pro-Brexit arguments. most were not boring but amusing.

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Can we please move beyond the deliberate misrepresentation on the side of the 'brexit bus' (inferring that all the UK contribution towards the EU budget would be spent on the NHS) - and the outright lies spouted by both sides during the campaign.  e.g. Osborne's promised 'punishment budget' if the electorate voted to leave the EU.

Pointing out the various lies has been 'done to death' and this thread is about bloomberg's comment.

The UK might need a Truth & Reconciliation Commission" as Mandela organised.

Of course, judging by what is posted on another thread, African ideas may be a step to far for the average TVF poster.

image.png.e795f83c7354087b178c63108997b9d1.png&key=704895559b7f92253a3efbe8d85a5ff4e34c08cc68952492921d73b5147d2e0c

Leader of Vote Leave digital campaign said this single lie is wot wok them Brexit. Said it cut across all classes to something that most Britons are worried about (google news dominic Cummings new statesman Brexit to find the article ).

Britain is totally class split so there are very few areas Brits really have consensus on.

The NHS is one of the very few they rallied around.

This and the deliberately phrased 'take back control'. The back was inserted after they realised it has a strong psychological affect, hinting at something that has forcibly be taken from you and you should get it back.

Who takes back control from who or who benefits or even why didn't need to be stated.

Usual Brexiteers stuff very soft on the details.

They then targeted these memes by bot ads on Facebook and Twitter. If you had an interest in immigration they'd Serve up endless images of refugees. If you had an interest in the NHS it would the 350 million meme that would be served up.

Farage on the other hand they mostly tried to keep bottled up as he is not liked in general.

Interestingly Dominic Cummings thinks the Brexit process so far has been a disaster.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

What is the latest update on how much the NHS is going to get from the Tory government?

We all understand it will not be 350 million a week, but how much then? Approximately?

The NHS currently gets a tad over 2.38 billion Sterling a week from the Tory government.

Just now, oldhippy said:

Extra? Thanks to brexit? Fantastic, I am happy for the British people.

Maybe the brexit was not such a bad idea after all.

Firstly, the increased funding to the NHS is is nearly ten percent extra year-on-year at the moment.

Secondly, we are still paying our subscription to the EU scam, so there is no money currently available from that direction.

Thirdly, the Tory government has made no commitments or promises about future revenues once we have finally escaped from the EU scam.

Fourthly, brexit is not an idea. It's a fact.

1 minute ago, Khun Han said:

Firstly, the increased funding to the NHS is is nearly ten percent extra year-on-year at the moment.

Secondly, we are still paying our subscription to the EU scam, so there is no money currently available from that direction.

Thirdly, the Tory government has made no commitments or promises about future revenues once we have finally escaped from the EU scam.

Fourthly, brexit is not an idea. It's a fact.

Are you saying that even today nobody knows what % of the money that you will save (thanks to The Great Escape) will go to the NHS? Not even approximately?

3 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Are you saying that even today nobody knows what % of the money that you will save (thanks to The Great Escape) will go to the NHS? Not even approximately?

The Tory party has made no additional commitments to the NHS due to brexit. You would need to take that up with the 'vote leave' party ,whatever that is, though vote leave only made a suggestion on this anyway.

8 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

The Tory party has made no additional commitments to the NHS due to brexit. You would need to take that up with the 'vote leave' party ,whatever that is, though vote leave only made a suggestion on this anyway.

Fair enough, the tory party is devided.

How do you as a brexiteer feel now? Do you feel cheated? Do you have the feeling that you are not going to get what you voted for?

Just now, oldhippy said:

Good luck, but I predict a bad hangover.

Well, you supporters of the UK remaining in the EU put a lot of faith in your crystal balls. I do hope you don't buy them from the same shop as the economic forecasters: they should be taking the crystal ball shop they use to the Trading Standards authority.

1 minute ago, Khun Han said:

Well, you supporters of the UK remaining in the EU put a lot of faith in your crystal balls. I do hope you don't buy them from the same shop as the economic forecasters: they should be taking the crystal ball shop they use to the Trading Standards authority.

So you voted without the slightest indication of what the consequences of your vote would be?

Sounds like you were not in favour of something, but rather against everything.

Again, I wish you good luck, you will need it.

Archived