Michael Bloomberg: Brexit is stupidest thing any country has done besides Trump

webfact

11 minutes ago, adammike said:

They won't be in hotels they will be living there in apartments and houses, facilities and night life restaurants schools etc will appear as needed.communities will grow around them. And when the brexiters light their bonfire of regulations the quality of life will become unbearable for most in London .of course Bloomburg and his fellow billionaires and multi millionaires will not notice.

Yes, the ones that draw the short straw in having to man the outposts in places such as Frankfurt have all the 'excitement' you describe to look forward to. Poor them.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Grouse said:

Sterling recovered? Trump happened and weakened the USD

Sterling went down to about 1.22 against the dollar and is now about 1.30 I would call that  a recovery somewhat, not back to the level of 1.50 but then that is not what I said. 

13 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

The author of the first link posted. appears to omit some vital details.

He forgets to note the conservative manifesto of T Heath declared its intention. to join

He relies on the Bill of Rights 1889, for his assertion that membership was unlawful. it is correct that this act is still active ,however the statement referred to is part of the oath of allegiance to William and Mary .Subsequent acts have altered this

Clearly from Thorburn v Sunderland a referendum is not required to change the constitution .It was from this case that a constitutional statute status was established

On your first point, Ted Heath lied to the nation about what we were actually joining. That's a matter of record, and my second link goes into great detail about how duplicitous his government was on the matter.

Could you flesh out your claims about the constitution? Harold Wilson's government appeared to think the opposite of yourself.

14 hours ago, Khun Han said:

No. I made (and continue to make) judgements based on the actual evidence. Your crystal ball tells you that I (and the UK) will need good luck. Like I said, I hope you have a better crystal ball supplier than the economic forecasters: they are still getting it hopelessly wrong sixteen months after the referendum. My judgements are proving to be correct so far: that the forecast economic doom is nothing more than scaremongering by powerful vested interests which were onto a very cushy number with the EU (with the EU giving those vested interests control of the labour market, etc) , and which will end up adapting to brexit out of necessity once it becomes a reality, without any great short-term harm to the UK. And there will be immense medium and long-term gain to the UK out of the EU. All imo, of course.

I would like to point out that since the actual withdrawal from the EU has not actually happened and 16 months after the referendum and well into the actual withdrawal countdown there is no consensus or strategy on what the actual conditions for such withdrawal will be. Crowing about how forecasters have been wrong about Brexit are a bit premature at this point.

TH

1 hour ago, Naam said:

He hated going to Frankfurt: he said it was boring; everyone always went home straight after work and he always ended up in his hotel alone.

little did he know :smile:

According to the Global Financial Centres Index which measures ease of doing business, Infrastructure, Financial Development and Reputation amongst other things the latest findings revealed on September 11th this year London is the world's leading financial centre with a rating of 780 as opposed to New York's 756, the lead increased since the last audit. Hong Kong 744, Singapore 742, Frankfurt came in 11th at 701. Sorry thats not want you want to hear but there you are, what cant speak cant lie.

Look at the Foreign Exchange picture, London accounts for 37% of the worlds foreign exchange business, New York 18%, Tokyo 6%, Singapore 5%, Paris 3%, Frankfurt? Sorry its a no show.

Some people just will not understand how big a Financial Centre London is, its not just the City its also Canary Wharf, its massive, thats the reality check, but like Brexit there will some who will never accept it.

18 minutes ago, thaihome said:

I would like to point out that since the actual withdrawal from the EU has not actually happened and 16 months after the referendum and well into the actual withdrawal countdown there is no consensus or strategy on what the actual conditions for such withdrawal will be. Crowing about how forecasters have been wrong about Brexit are a bit premature at this point.

TH

Pointing out that forecasters predicted an immediate recession after the referendum, that they then predicted a recession by the end of 2016, that they then predicted a recession by the middle of 2017, and that they then predicted a recession by the end of 2017 is perfectly reasonable, and needs to be taken into account when judging those same forecasters' further predictions. Any prediction of a post brexit scenario is premature at this point, but we all like to do it, don't we?

10 minutes ago, nong38 said:

According to the Global Financial Centres Index which measures ease of doing business, Infrastructure, Financial Development and Reputation amongst other things the latest findings revealed on September 11th this year London is the world's leading financial centre with a rating of 780 as opposed to New York's 756, the lead increased since the last audit. Hong Kong 744, Singapore 742, Frankfurt came in 11th at 701. Sorry thats not want you want to hear but there you are, what cant speak cant lie.

Look at the Foreign Exchange picture, London accounts for 37% of the worlds foreign exchange business, New York 18%, Tokyo 6%, Singapore 5%, Paris 3%, Frankfurt? Sorry its a no show.

Some people just will not understand how big a Financial Centre London is, its not just the City its also Canary Wharf, its massive, thats the reality check, but like Brexit there will some who will never accept it.

It's not that they don't understand it. It's just that acknowledging it spoils their wet dreams that London will be trashed by brexit.

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

On your first point, Ted Heath lied to the nation about what we were actually joining. That's a matter of record, and my second link goes into great detail about how duplicitous his government was on the matter.

Could you flesh out your claims about the constitution? Harold Wilson's government appeared to think the opposite of yourself.

In Dicey , all Acts of Parliament have equal status.

Thorburn introduced the posotion of constitutional legislation.

The HS2 case went further and implied that the individual statutes themselves could fit into an heirachy where one takes precedence over another.

Under this the UK domestic laws could take supremacy over the EU

1 hour ago, nong38 said:

According to the Global Financial Centres Index which measures ease of doing business, Infrastructure, Financial Development and Reputation amongst other things the latest findings revealed on September 11th this year London is the world's leading financial centre...

point discussed was not size of financial center but a comparison of London's and Frankfurt's night life.

He hated going to Frankfurt: he said it was boring; everyone always went home straight after work and he always ended up in his hotel alone.

1 hour ago, Naam said:

point discussed was not size of financial center but a comparison of London's and Frankfurt's night life.

Yes well you split hairs, sometimes its all about the economy and sometimes something else, but then again Frankfurt's night life does not compare to London, compared to London Frankfurt is just a small suburb and you as a German should be aware of that, if the ECB was not there it would be a village, large one but in financial terms a village.

2 hours ago, Khun Han said:

Pointing out that forecasters predicted an immediate recession after the referendum, that they then predicted a recession by the end of 2016, that they then predicted a recession by the middle of 2017, and that they then predicted a recession by the end of 2017 is perfectly reasonable, and needs to be taken into account when judging those same forecasters' further predictions. Any prediction of a post brexit scenario is premature at this point, but we all like to do it, don't we?

I have seen lots of predictions on impact after actually leaving, but none that I recall of impact after referendum but before actually leaving. Many statements did say what a "vote to leave" would do, but I assumed it was referring to after leaving. I could be wrong, can you give some links to support your statements?

TH

5 minutes ago, thaihome said:

I have seen lots of predictions on impact after actually leaving, but none that I recall of impact after referendum but before actually leaving. Many statements did say what a "vote to leave" would do, but I assumed it was referring to after leaving. I could be wrong, can you give some links to support your statements?

TH

Yes, you are wrong.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/05/chief-economist-of-bank-of-england-admits-errors

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-3823949/We-got-WRONG-Brexit-Bank-England-admits-pessimistic-amid-signs-economy-entered-sweet-spot.html

4 hours ago, Naam said:

little did he know :smile:

Haha! Frankfurt is a most excellent place! The man must be a total loser!

3 hours ago, nong38 said:

Sterling went down to about 1.22 against the dollar and is now about 1.30 I would call that  a recovery somewhat, not back to the level of 1.50 but then that is not what I said. 

Dear me

The USD weakened

Try the CHF for size.

Sterling is also currently close to record low against Taiwan dollar. In fact it's lost over 33 per cent of value against TWD in ten years!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

In fact I checked and it lost over 40 per cent value against TWD in ten years.

Part of what we are seeing is Asian economies getting stronger against many indebted western countries. Now the odd one out is Japan whose currency was too strong for many years.

RMB is tightly controlled and hard to move around.

12 hours ago, nong38 said:

Yes well you split hairs, sometimes its all about the economy and sometimes something else, but then again Frankfurt's night life does not compare to London, compared to London Frankfurt is just a small suburb and you as a German should be aware of that, if the ECB was not there it would be a village, large one but in financial terms a village.

Frankfurt is a village for sure. last time i was there i saw oxcarts, thela pushers, boardwalk dentists and cycle rikshaws with Brexiteer passengers who wanted to experience a whiff of colonial lifestyle.

2 hours ago, taipeir said:

Sterling is also currently close to record low against Taiwan dollar. In fact it's lost over 33 per cent of value against TWD in ten years!

What has the Taiwan dollar got to do with Brexit? Why not choose a currency like the Zimbabwe dollar (Zimbabwe used to be a colony). Any idiot can cherrypick a currency and compare it to another.

How often do you spend Taiwan dollars.

I am 73 and I have never spent one in my life simply because I have never been to Taiwan nor needed to.

I sometimes wonder why you bother to post on this thread as it can be of no financial interest to you at all. Perhaps you are nothing but an argumentative and annoying troll.

What has the Taiwan dollar got to do with Brexit? Why not choose a currency like the Zimbabwe dollar (Zimbabwe used to be a colony). Any idiot can cherrypick a currency and compare it to another.  

I am 73 and I have never spent one in my life simply because I have never been to Taiwan nor needed to.

I sometimes wonder why you bother to post on this thread as it can be of no financial interest to you at all. Perhaps you are nothing but an argumentative and annoying troll.

I spent Taiwan dollars everyday as I live in Taiwan you idiot. I'm letting you know that GBP weakening (not only GBP also Euro) against many Asian currencies has been a long term trend which has now been exacerbated by Brexit vote.

I used to get paid in GBP so it was very much in my interest to know how strong or weak the currency was.

On the other hand TWD and THB have not budged much in relative value over the years.

If you are still pig ignorant at 73 God help you.

31 minutes ago, taipeir said:

I spent Taiwan dollars everyday as I live in Taiwan you idiot. I'm letting you know that GBP weakening (not only GBP also Euro) against many Asian currencies has been a long term trend which has now been exacerbated by Brexit vote.

I used to get paid in GBP so it was very much in my interest to know how strong or weak the currency was.

On the other hand TWD and THB have not budged much in relative value over the years.

Brexit is not all about you!

1 hour ago, taipeir said:

Thank you very much for the insult as it makes it easier to understand you.

I do not however respond to insults eevn though in some cases I truly want to.

In your case I fell that you are not even worth insulting.

I may not see any more of you posts as I am putting you on my ignore list.

I won't even bother to complain about the insult as you obviously have no idea of the rules on TVF.

I hope that you have a pleasant day.

Please carry on insulting people who disagree with you as that seems to be about your skill level.

35 minutes ago, vogie said:

Brexit is not all about you!

It must be because he says it is. After all Brexit is vital to him living in Taiwan and being neither British or European.

Just another poster who answers with insults.

I am simply going to ignore him.

Re read your post and tell me you weren't being an arse and accusing me of trolling while I patiently explain how Asian currencies have gotten stronger over the years, meanwhile you posted nothing of substance whatsoever (some irrelevant rubbish about being 73 or something and never having spent a Taiwan dollar ).

That's it, that was the substance of your debate!

I'm 73!

It doesn't matter if I'm not European or British or even that I don't live in Thailand I know that must REALLY annoy you :).

What matters is the substance of the argument.

I haven't read all 46 pages and maybe it has been discussed here already but I'm kind of surprised the shady and mysterious donations for the "LEAVE CAMPAIGN" haven't been discussed in the past 4, 5 pages yet...?

How Putin could yet save Britain from Brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/02/putin-save-britain-brexit-russia-eu-referendum

and, the next message shows a link where some of that money came from.....:

"Following Arron Banks' money..." 

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

You clearly dont understand what Brexit has done to the pound...it has practically collapsed against ALL currencies. 

I have to say that your attitude seems to typify the parochial perspective of so many Brexiteers

I dont think many Brexiteers fully appreciate what they've done.

I'm proud to be a British European and if the situation arose, i would happily take up arms to preserve my citizenship.

This problem isnt going to disappear because Theresa May or one of her Tory chums says its over.

Archived