Bids for Phuket light-rail to opened next year

webfact

Bids for Phuket light-rail to opened next year

Chutharat Plerin

1508917595_1-org.jpg

Bids will open for the light-rail system despite the project not yet passing its critical EIA. Photo: OTP

PHUKET: It has been confirmed today that bids for Phuket’s long-awaited light-rail system will open next year.

Speaking to The Phuket News’ sister paper Khao Phuket today (Oct 25), Mr Sirigate Aphirat, a policy and planning officer at the Ministry of Transport’s Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning (OTP) said, “The project is currently in the stage of studying the public–private partnership (PPP). It is believed that this process will be done within few months.”

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/bids-for-phuket-light-rail-to-opened-next-year-64446.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-10-25

Understood that those pretty sketches are total fantasyland, but what about the land and right-of-way down the length of the island. Highly unlikely that such can be in place during the next decade. more likely only some stretches, then rip up the roads for major construction hazards and nuisance, but nor rails down.

4 hours ago, keeniau96 said:

Understood that those pretty sketches are total fantasyland, but what about the land and right-of-way down the length of the island. Highly unlikely that such can be in place during the next decade. more likely only some stretches, then rip up the roads for major construction hazards and nuisance, but nor rails down.

The majority of the line is supposed to be in the middle of the road. How Phuket will function with probably one lane of operational traffic during the construction I don't know. If the roads need widening, you only need to read last week's report regarding the problems with the proposed u-turn flyovers to envisage a vastly multiplied version of the same problem. 

I still don't think it'll happen, but I said the same about the Chalong Underpass. 

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

The majority of the line is supposed to be in the middle of the road. How Phuket will function with probably one lane of operational traffic during the construction I don't know. If the roads need widening, you only need to read last week's report regarding the problems with the proposed u-turn flyovers to envisage a vastly multiplied version of the same problem. 

I still don't think it'll happen, but I said the same about the Chalong Underpass. 

Biggest problem might be getting the taxi drivers to ok it and allow it.