Royal Cremation of the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej: Malls replace shopping with service

webfact

Malls replace shopping with service

By   BUSINESS REPORTERS 
THE NATION 

1398004ef850c8b7f6b1946880272487.jpeg

People walk below a giant TV screen at Siam Square. Most shopping centres in Bangkok and the provinces have set up large TV screens to receive live broadcast of the Royal Cremation of the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej today.

OPERATORS of major malls in Bangkok and other main cities are providing free car parking and transport services today for mourners wishing to offer flowers in memory of His Majesty the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

“In order to allow all of our employees at our shopping centres to participate in the Royal Cremation, which is very important to people in the country, Central Pattana (CPN) will today close its shopping malls - comprising the CentralPlaza and CentralFestival shopping centres - nationwide from 3pm,” CPN said.

The exceptions, the company said, are its CentralWorld and CentralPlaza Rama 2 centres, which will be opened to help people pay their last respects to the much-loved monarch, as the properties have been made available for the offering of sandalwood flowers.

The company will open the parking areas of its shopping centres that are providing shuttle buses to Sanam Luang, including CentralPlaza Rama 2, CentralPlaza WestGate and CentralPlaza Salaya. Those branches will be opened for 24 hours to accommodate those who wish to participate in the Royal Cremation. All CPN’s shopping centres will be open tomorrow.

Every branch of The Mall shopping network, including the Blueport mall in Hua Hin, will provide free shuttle buses from 8am until midnight to allow people to attend the flower-laying sites for the Royal Cremation.

The company will also provide free parking at its centres today. It has established five free transport service stations in Bangkok and two upcountry. These are: from The Mall Ramkamhaeng to Indoor Stadium Huamark; from The Mall Bangkapi to Indoor Stadium Huamark; from The Mall Ngamwongwan to the Government Complex at Chaeng Watthana; from The Mall Thapra to Wat Verurachin in Thon Buri; and from The Mall Bangkae to Wat Boonyapradit. Outside the capital, the free transport services will be from The Mall Nakhon Ratchasima to Thao Suranaree Monument and from Blueport Hua Hin to Wat Huay Mongkol in Prachuap Khiri Khan.

Free parking will be available at all branches of The Mall shopping network, including Blueport mall in Hua Hin, from 6am to midnight. The shopping centres will be closed from 3pm; they will reopen tomorrow.

The Mall Group will also provide vegetarian food in the open space in front of Indoor Stadium Huamark from 9am to 7 pm for people attending the funeral flower-laying ceremony. At least 50,000 people are expected to offer flowers for the Royal Cremation in the area.

The Siam Synergy Trade Association, led by Siam Piwat, MBK, and Siam Business Group, is also helping with the travel arrangements for mourners. It is providing free parking from 6am today until 6am tomorrow for those planning to attend the mourning ceremonies being hosted in nearby areas.

Service venues 

The venues for these services are Siam Paragon, Siam Car Park (behind Siam Center), MBK, Siamkit Building, Siam Square One, Wittayakit Building, and the car park at Siam Square.

Future Park, a large shopping mall in Rangsit, is likewise providing free parking for people taking part in the flower-laying ceremonies at the designated areas, and for the Royal Cremation of the beloved King at Sanam Luang.

Bottled water and meals will be provided for free.

Outside the shopping mall sector, PTT is providing free drinking water at its service stations across the country along the route during the Royal Cremation Ceremony today. Workers at the service stations will take turns in offering sandalwood flowers at the designated sites in each area in remembrance of the late King’s service to the nation.

PTT will close some food and beverage outlets across the country during the Royal Cremation Ceremony from 2.30pm; these are Cafe Amazon, Jiffy, 7-Eleven, Texas Chicken, Hua Seng Hong and PTT FIT Auto in the service stations. Outlets in department stores will also be closed. But PTT’s retail shops at Udon Thani Airport will be open as usual today. All PTT retail shops will resume normal operations tomorrow.

The expected heavier demand during the Royal Cremation period has prompted the three private cellular operators - Advanced Info Service (AIS), Total Access Communication and True Corp – to expand their network capacity at Sanam Luang and adjacent areas.

The operators have also boosted their network capacity in the areas that are hosting the Royal Crematorium replicas across the country.

They have also put special teams on standby 24 hours a day to closely monitor the demands on network capacity.

Additionally, AIS has provided a free Wi-Fi service for mourners at Sanam Luang and surrounding areas.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Corporate/30330116

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-26

23 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

In those central Bangkok shopping malls that are remaining open (Siam Paragon, Emporium, Emquartier and Centralworld) are the shops and restaurants open as normal?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Some will be open and some not...but there will likely be a limited set of choices.

24 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Sad that they put money before respecting their King, one day in 70 years is not a lot to expect. Disgusting that they are open all day and not fair on the staff.

In Samui Tesco is only open this morning, it will be closed this afternoon.

55 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Sad that they put money before respecting their King, one day in 70 years is not a lot to expect. Disgusting that they are open all day and not fair on the staff.

What's disgusting  are you assumptions and rush to judgement. Take the time and think it through.

1. Why is it unfair to staff? They are not paid if they do not work. Most shop staff live pay stub to pay stub.  Are you going to   compensate for their lost wages? The staff that wish to attend will not be stopped.   Don't assume that anyone is being stopped. There has been ample opportunity to pay respects at a designated area  which an estimated 25% of the population has done over the past year.

2. Where do you expect people to get something to eat or drink if they are out for this event? Some people are elderly, and others have  young kids. They need to eat even if something small. The small pushcart vendors are not supposed to be on the street where the event is occurring. This is for safety reasons as well as for decorum.

3. The malls are open as a public service. It is hot and at times has rained heavily. The malls provide a place of shelter as well as a viewing opportunity. I see the provision of some skeleton services before the mandatory closing time as a responsible act.

2 hours ago, sloopysman said:

His love and respect for the common man was obvious in his everyday actions

From what I read and see and hear this is clearly the case. And that is why the people love and respect him so much. 

Just a pity these days the same feelings for the common man do not flow from today's Thai politicians. By contrast there are these faux outpourings of concern for the common country folk while at the same time their real priorities lie with their high flying city slicker friends in the city. 

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

What a ridiculous comment. Life goes on, even in Thailand.

It should come to a stop just for today, obviously the mega rich hi so shop owners cannot bring themselves to shut the tills once in 70 years to pay their respects, pathetic.There is more to life than shopping.

Edited by Orton Rd

Amazing scenes in pattaya today. You can park at big C, lotus, macro and all the taxi's and baht buses are transporting people for free to the main event in the big temple. The que was 3-4 k's long at 9am with shops and restaurants along the route handing out free food and drinks.

8 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Amazing scenes in pattaya today. You can park at big C, lotus, macro and all the taxi's and baht buses are transporting people for free to the main event in the big temple. The que was 3-4 k's long at 9am with shops and restaurants along the route handing out free food and drinks.

I would hope people remember the businesses offering free food and beverages when the events are over. 

It should come to a stop just for today, obviously the mega rich hi so shop owners cannot bring themselves to shut the tills once in 70 years to pay their respects, pathetic.There is more to life than shopping.

I respectfully disagree. I am impressed that, despite the mourning of their King, disruption to everyday life in Thailand has been minimal. I think, to some extent, Thailand has matured. Hopefully it will continue to do so, and good start, once the mourning is over, would be with the politics.

In this world i never saw any other monarch or politician who received such a great love from his people vice versa who helped them and loved them so much like King Bhumipol did.... 

it should be an example how humans should treat each other the short time while they are in this life... 

4 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Noble sentiments I am sure, but if you expect retail to come to a stop for the day, why not your power, water and air traffic services? Shouldn't they be given the day off too? 

What's disgusting  are you assumptions and rush to judgement. Take the time and think it through.
1. Why is it unfair to staff? They are not paid if they do not work. Most shop staff live pay stub to pay stub.  Are you going to   compensate for their lost wages? The staff that wish to attend will not be stopped.   Don't assume that anyone is being stopped. There has been ample opportunity to pay respects at a designated area  which an estimated 25% of the population has done over the past year.

2. Where do you expect people to get something to eat or drink if they are out for this event? Some people are elderly, and others have  young kids. They need to eat even if something small. The small pushcart vendors are not supposed to be on the street where the event is occurring. This is for safety reasons as well as for decorum.

3. The malls are open as a public service. It is hot and at times has rained heavily. The malls provide a place of shelter as well as a viewing opportunity. I see the provision of some skeleton services before the mandatory closing time as a responsible act.

My thai gf of 5 yrs who’s 46yrs was desperate to go to kings palace to pay respects and actually be there but I said the only way would be to have 25th off as well as 26, but her company Chinese company refused even tho she had served the company well for 25yrs .. we had to wait until after 5:30pm 25th to set of the 3hrs to bkk, we lined up all night but by 2am it was announced that the palace was full ... needless to say that brought a lot of heartache ...

My point is most company’s don’t give much of toss when it comes to replaceable stall , she had to go to work when the king dies when the kings body returned to the palace etc... and for those companies who make staff work on the day their beloved king is cremated are disgusting and don’t give a toss about people only money ...

What would the government think about a company that fires a worker for “taking this day off”?

My guess they would kick their ass right back to china or where ever they are from lol

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, sloopysman said:

His love and respect for the common man was obvious in his everyday actions and in return he received the love and respect of all. It's still hard to realize he is no longer with us. What a great man.

indeed and it's a pity more thais didnt and dont follow his wise words on the way they should conduct themselves in everyday life, now that would really show their respect

33 minutes ago, flyingfox1 said:

My thai gf of 5 yrs who’s 46yrs was desperate to go to kings palace to pay respects and actually be there but I said the only way would be to have 25th off as well as 26, but her company Chinese company refused even tho she had served the company well for 25yrs .. we had to wait until after 5:30pm 25th to set of the 3hrs to bkk, we lined up all night but by 2am it was announced that the palace was full ... needless to say that brought a lot of heartache ...

My point is most company’s don’t give much of toss when it comes to replaceable stall , she had to go to work when the king dies when the kings body returned to the palace etc... and for those companies who make staff work on the day their beloved king is cremated are disgusting and don’t give a toss about people only money ...

What would the government think about a company that fires a worker for “taking this day off”?

My guess they would kick their ass right back to china or where ever they are from lol

October 26 as a public holiday so as to allow the people to attend  the royal cremation of the late King.  You are  offended because you  demand the 25th as well.  That is an unreasonable  demand. What did you do for the past year?  Nothing stopped you from paying your additional respects during that time.  Did you even request the day off  6 months ago when the cremation date was announced?

Whether there  was attendance at the current event or at earlier events makes no difference as they hold the same symbolic value.  It's rather telling that you emphasize the "Chinese" company. Tossing in a lol doesn't excuse the racist intent.  Feel free to invest the capital and start up your own business if you dislike the Chinese employer.

Many staff are required to work today. In fact hundreds of thousands if not millions are on the job. The doctors and nurses are joined by cleaning staff and support staff at the hospitals. The  airports are operating with cleaners and vendors on the job. The media networks are working overtime. The power authority, water works, sewage treatment workers are on the job as are the police, fire and ambulance personnel. Every military  member is  on duty today with all leave cancelled . Bus drivers, gas station attendants  and highway workers are on the job too. I expect that  a large number would like the day off, but they are working. 

Your friend was unable to get to an additional viewing spot and you bemoan the "heartache". How farang concept of being Thai of you, or  if we are honest, ignorant of Thai culture and downright selfish you are. Yes, that's right. If you are so  in the know  about Thai culture then you would have appreciated that had your friend  been able to attend another viewing, this would have meant that someone else was denied an opportunity; Perhaps an elderly person in her final days, or someone in need of inspiration etc.Your not having access meant that someone else did and this was a good thing and gave merit indirectly. The selfish one is therefore you because you have only considered your needs and wants. In Thailand the culture is to share and to think of others. This is what an underpinning of the ceremony is. It is a celebration of generosity and consideration of the needs of others. Take the time to understand the  local culture and the intent of the funeral.

Who cares if your  girlfriend is Thai? Do you introduce yourself to everyone as the elderly foreigner man?  It makes no difference if she was a he or  from Borneo. Make an effort and understand what this event was about. it wasn't about you or your companion's personal needs.

As a previous poster has pointed out, where do you draw the line? A country can't shut down completely. Surely people can take annual leave?

My name is Jim Brantley.  I'm a retired Newspaper Opinion Columnist.  I am writing the people of Thailand to express my deepest sorrow.   King  Bhumibol Adulyadej was admired by many millions of people around the world.  I was one of them... and still am.

I live in Florida, U.S.A.,  It is very hot and the humid here during the summer.  So, my home is not too far removed from Thailand when it comes to weather.  I don't like hot, muggy summers; they suck the life out of a person.  That being said, I am totally infatuated with Thailand.  I think this "affair" was the direct result of my fondness, admiration, and respect for the late King.  Now, anyone who has read one of my newspaper columns knows I am no fan of the 1 percent, much less royalty.  The world is full of Kings, Queens, Sheiks, Dictators, Presidents, and other leaders who are nothing more than bloated, elitist figureheads way too full of themselves.  King  Bhumibol Adulyadej was the exception.  He was the one world leader I consider "Royal".  He was a true King; a compassionate man who loved his people and ruled with the heart of a Monk.  I have seen every sort of meanness one man can assert towards another in the name of God or country but could find no intolerance in this gentle man's heart.  He is why I am so taken with Thailand and the Thai People.  I have met many Thais, and most mirror the king's kind and gentle ways.  The King is gone now, and the world is poorer for his passing.  I can't imagine how much he will be missed by the Thai people.  I can only mourn with them, and for them. 

Long live King Maha Vajiralongkorn.  May he honor his father by reigning with love, dignity, a gentle heart, and pure soul.