Is it even worth trying to witness the Cremation ceremony today?

kimura89

Given the historical significance of the event, I feel like I should be out there experiencing this once in a lifetime tribute (I mean that with all respect towards the Thai people and the King). However given the insane amount of people from all over Thailand that have come in is it even worth attempting to get a look? I know most likely I would just be in a sea of people looking at nothing basically.

Also I don't have the appropriate mourning attire (the best I have is dark grey tshirt and black shorts), and the last thing I want to do is piss off the locals on this sad day for them.

The TV coverage is outstanding....

Far more to observe than you would by trying to get in the crowd....

They are stationary out in the streets for the cortage.....The family went early to a local function & basically some words & salutes - then file past a memorial....

Edited by pgrahmm

My wife was going to the 700 year stadium for the tribute but has changed her mind half an hour ago when a friend rang and said the place was heaving and full to the brim already, I would be worried about a bad accident happening if they let too many in, but her friend guessed there were 100,000 people there.....I think that number is way off the mark but even if it was half that many it's too much.

Our village has prepared 500kgs of meat to send there, and that's only one village!!

Do you seriously expect to get close to the actual cremation site (Sanam Luang)?

Going now? (you seem to live in Bangkok)

Without proper attire?

NO WAY.

First Thai people have camped at the gates since last Saturday.

Only 40'000 people allowed on Sanam Luang as far as I know (or let it be 110'000).

People massing around the whole district.

The ambulancemen are busy carrying away hundreds of collapsed people.

Enjoy it on TV/internet.

More here:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1008509-english-language-live-stream-of-the-royal-cremation-of-the-late-king-bhumibol-adulyadej/

You must wear black, from head to toe. They were turning away people with dark, but not black, pants. They might let shoes slide. Some students wearing their uniforms

After paying respects at a locally designated site, we headed down to Rama V Memorial to see how it was going. The line was a couple kilometers at about 11 am. I would imagine if one was to attempt to visit Sanam Luang, one might be lucky to reach it by this weekend!

4 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

You must wear black, from head to toe. They were turning away people with dark, but not black, pants. They might let shoes slide. Some students wearing their uniforms

After paying respects at a locally designated site, we headed down to Rama V Memorial to see how it was going. The line was a couple kilometers at about 11 am. I would imagine if one was to attempt to visit Sanam Luang, one might be lucky to reach it by this weekend!

Good "live" contribution!

I expect there will be official (licensed) drone photos of the sea in black sometime soon.

the ceremony is taking place within a relatively small area, the vast majority of thais have no chance of witnessing the event for themselves.

the area surrounding the main event is rammed, queues of people everywhere, i think they are queueing to visit various temples and shrines as that's as close as they will get.

Pin-Klao bridge? About 1 km from the site?

(Bangkok is mostly unknown territory for me).

Other side seemingly closed for the motorcades/VIP/emergency?

x9.jpg

Democracy monument/Ratchadamnoen rd.:

x2.jpg

Source: news.sanook.com.

I admit I was a but worried about going to my cities one but it was calm and respectful. I was just worried as it was unchartered terrirory in a way but me the Mrs and the baby went along. Took 4 hours to get done but we did it and I'm pleased we did.