New roof advice

Sheryl

Greetings, gentlemen

the roof is completely finished and work is well underway on the awnings. Along with the roof, quite a bit else got done (Mission Creep!): whole house paint job, window cleaning, new staining of all the wooden beams/fascia (couldn't waste the opportunity provided by that scaffolding!),  installation of radiant barrier, vented soffits etc.

Here are the pix - the front is still hard to see as they are working on the awning, but then you can get a sense of the awning. There will also be one on the lower floor. No more sun heated windows and house front!

On the sides the awning will only be for the lower floor, for which reason I bought those sunshield canopies for each bedroom window. The rear of the house faces north so no need for extra shading.

20180107_163838.jpg

20180107_163906.jpg

20180107_163954.jpg

20180107_164346.jpg

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks great!  Have you done the man made typhoon test and made sure that all of the valleys and guttering are up to snuff?  Someone with a hose on the roof can be turned off, not like the real thing!  Just a suggestion!

At some point we should do an air flow calculation, cool air in versus hot air out, for that we'll need:

1 - Square metres of the base of the house, length times breadth (then we'll use a web calculator to figure out the cubic metres of air space in the roof void);

2 - The size of the eight square gable vents, (two front two back in the roof), height x width - measure the size of the hole in the blockwork behind the vent, not the external face of the vent;

3 - the total number of vented eaves board panels.

From that we can figure out how much attic ventilation you should have (from tables that already exist,) versus,  how much airflow there is currently, in and out.

It's possible, based on what the numbers look like that some tweaking of the vents is advisable, or, that everything is fine as is.

Whenever you feel inclined to get the tape measure out!

18 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

That's pretty spiffy I like it very much, well done, I like the overhang in the front, that worked out very well. It's probably not been hot enough to test it for heat yet, but what rain noise, anything?

It's a new house, congratulations Sheryl.

Looks great.

I'm in Aus and got in touch with the makers of the vents Simon introduced. After some discussion, seems they don't work for a cathedral roof, so I'm a little disappointed as was going to bring some back.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, carlyai said:

Looks great.

I'm in Aus and got in touch with the makers of the vents Simon introduced. After some discussion, seems they don't work for a cathedral roof, so I'm a little disappointed as was going to bring some back.

Hey Carl, good to see you posting again, happy new year.

I imagine the problem with the universal tile ventilator is the roof pitch, it needs a shallow pitch I presume?

I imagine the problem with the universal tile ventilator is the roof pitch, it needs a shallow pitch I presume?
Hi, yep I think so, I mean to get back to them and ask what they recommend for cathedral roof.

On 1/7/2018 at 6:20 PM, Sheryl said:

The roof is tiles and no more rain noise than before. The awning is Colorbond so that might be noisy (but not directly overhead)-- can't say as it hadn't rained since that starting going up.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If it's the colorbond with insulation already fitted the ran noise is very low, our house has this materials as a veranda right around the house, rain noise is close to zero.

On 1/9/2018 at 5:59 AM, simoh1490 said:

Could you please share the website address of the company in OZ re the roof ventilators.  Thanks.

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thank you.

If you pursue the subject I'll be keen to know where you get to, I talked to them two years ago but we concluded they wouldn't work in Thailand because of the size of the tile but who knows.

I've just exchanged emails with the ever helpful Universal Tile Ventilator folks in Aus., I sent them pictures of my roof tiles and they have sent me their installation sheet. They confirm that roof pitch is not a problem, cathedral ceilings are a problem and that postage to Thailand may be an issue. I'll post their installation sheet in the morning and if anyone wants more details they can PM me for their email address. I plan to try and obtain some of their units and to instal them as supplemental attic venting so I'll keep you posted on progress, FWIW I think it's an ideal product for Thailand.

18 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

If you pursue the subject I'll be keen to know where you get to, I talked to them two years ago but we concluded they wouldn't work in Thailand because of the size of the tile but who knows.

Thanks. Actually I'm interested in ventilators to fit with ceramic / cement tiles made in Thailand.

When I inquired in Aus they said they sell them in sets of 6 and have them for my Elebana (Monier type) tiles. Evidently 6 is about the number you need, but would also depend on roof design. They said they would sell me 2 to take back to Thailand, but I didn't buy any as they said the ventilators were unsuitable for my cathedral roof. Sorry I didn't know people were interested or I would have bought the 2 and brought them back. I could have bought them back as I bought a couple of extra bags as SWMBO bought out half of Bunnings.

As digression, I did buy some nifty stick welding magnets. Looks great to me. They'll probably have them here soon.

20180108_112011.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

I just realized I never posted the final pix once all the awnings were up.

here they are:

20180209_141741#1.jpg

20180209_141803.jpg

Temps have been hitting 35 C, still no need for a/c at all, even in the upstairs middle area which used to be so hot. Walls and windows no longer warm to the touch, either.  So the combo of the roof improvements plus the awning have been a huge success in terms of cooling. It did come at the price of the interior of the  house being not as bright and sunny as before, bothered me in the beginning but I've adjusted - one can't have everything!

Hi all

I just realized I never posted the final pix once all the awnings were up.

here they are:
5a86a4a71be59_20180209_1417411.thumb.jpg.fd8db5cb58075110cfe7185b14354164.jpg

20180209_141803.thumb.jpg.64314bebe2519138e503f6df3c1c9685.jpg
Temps have been hitting 35 C, still no need for a/c at all, even in the upstairs middle area which used to be so hot. Walls and windows no longer warm to the touch, either.  So the combo of the roof improvements plus the awning have been a huge success in terms of cooling. It did come at the price of the interior of the  house being not as bright and sunny as before, bothered me in the beginning but I've adjusted - one can't have everything!
Great. Did you get around to the fire hose wet down?

That all looks really good Sheryl, well done.

Can you give us an idea of approximate cost to do all of that, in round numbers or a range, I'm specifically interested in the materials cost?
You did real good on this project mate. Seems like a very happy outcome.

Thanks all.

Simoh:

Colorbond for the awning - 20,500 baht

White fibrocement tiles for the roof -  abut 42,000 (invoice for a few flashings still pending). Actually turned out my workers overestimated and I have about 40 large tiles left over. Will eventually make a sort of gazebo out of them.

Metal poles/rods, screws, drill bits & the like, soffits, eaves filler, attic vents, paint, wood stain (while at it, redid the frames around all the windows and painted whole exterior of house) other hardware came to another 54,000. Radiant barrier & insulation batt a few thousand more.

So basically around 130K for materials - note that this is inclusive of roofing, awning, complete repaint, attic ventilation, RB etc.

Another 42K for the labor, give or take (one of the workers is with me fulltime so not included).

So basically about 175K for a vert large roof area, awning, RB, ventilation, repaint etc. Would have been close to 200 if I'd had to pay the existing worker.

My electric bills are averaging now around 2K/month less than before. And when the temperature is below 36-37 I do not need a/c at all, which is to me a benefit in and of itself - I much prefer natural air where possible. Actually today was the first day I needed it.

We've had a heavy rain since the work finished so no need for fire hoses. It stood up just fine.

It greatly helps that one of the crew is my fulltime staff (gardener/handyman and, when i travel, pet sitter) ....he knew that any leaks or other problems would be his to deal with later along with my recriminations! And the other workers were all friends or relations of his. So good level of accountability.

Thanks all.

Simoh:

White fibrocement tiles for the roof -  abut 42,000 (invoice for a few flashings still pending). Actually turned out my workers overestimated and I have about 40 large tiles left over. Will eventually make a sort of gazebo out of them.

Metal poles/rods, screws, drill bits & the like, soffits, eaves filler, attic vents, paint, wood stain (while at it, redid the frames around all the windows and painted whole exterior of house) other hardware came to another 54,000. Radiant barrier & insulation batt a few thousand more.

So basically around 130K for materials - note that this is inclusive of roofing, awning, complete repaint, attic ventilation, RB etc.

Another 42K for the labor, give or take (one of the workers is with me fulltime so not included).

So basically about 175K for a vert large roof area, awning, RB, ventilation, repaint etc. Would have been close to 200 if I'd had to pay the existing worker.

My electric bills are averaging now around 2K/month less than before. And when the temperature is below 36-37 I do not need a/c at all, which is to me a benefit in and of itself - I much prefer natural air where possible. Actually today was the first day I needed it.

We've had a heavy rain since the work finished so no need for fire hoses. It stood up just fine.

It greatly helps that one of the crew is my fulltime staff (gardener/handyman and, when i travel, pet sitter) ....he knew that any leaks or other problems would be his to deal with later along with my recriminations! And the other workers were all friends or relations of his. So good level of accountability.

That's really great and a good outcome and price.
If the rain there is anything like that here at the moment, it's the best test.
Unfortunately for me I've got a few very small drips where the old veranda and new pool roof meet. Won't have to worry about it when the rain stops. [emoji38]

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Thanks all.

Simoh:

Ta!

That seems like a very good price, considering everything that was done plus if you're savings 2k a month on the electric bill that would mean something like a seven-year payback which is excellent. Don't forget that you can probably squeeze some more savings out of it all if you manage the air flow in/out in the roof void. Cleaning the roof with a power sprayer every couple of years will also keep reflectivity as it should be, you'd be amazed at the carp that builds up on it over time. Other future tools in your arsenal if you need them, a gable exhaust fan and reflective foil for the windows.....I can almost guarantee you will need to buy some form of heat source for the next cold season, our house is very cold at that time since insulation works both ways! Well done.

Ta!

That seems like a very good price, considering everything that was done plus if you're savings 2k a month on the electric bill that would mean something like a seven-year payback which is excellent. Don't forget that you can probably squeeze some more savings out of it all if you manage the air flow in/out in the roof void. Cleaning the roof with a power sprayer every couple of years will also keep reflectivity as it should be, you'd be amazed at the carp that builds up on it over time. Other future tools in your arsenal if you need them, a gable exhaust fan and reflective foil for the windows.....I can almost guarantee you will need to buy some form of heat source for the next cold season, our house is very cold at that time since insulation works both ways! Well done.
Maybe you'll need something like this next cold season?
Got down to 9-10 degrees here.[emoji38]
20180223_071247.jpg

More seriously:

We've got a couple of heaters we've bought over the years, the best one is a Sun heater we bought up at the border in Mai Sai. But what we dearly would love to find but can't is a bathroom strip heater, they used to be very popular in the UK years ago and it would be ideal for our purpose. It's essentially a single bar electric fire that gets fastened to the wall up high, they work very well. If anyone sees one or indeed any sensible type of bathroom heater, please shout.

Archived