New roof advice

Sheryl

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No it's not for heat, it was originally designed by Monier to use as a means of passing a variety of fixtures through the roof, TV antenna cable, boiler flues, metal chimney pipes etc, it's far too small to use as a ridge vent for hot air and even stringing a bunch of them together wouldn't work very well, plus it would look as ugly as sin. SCG does sell ridge vents however which work very well but they don't look anything like that. The black rubber cap you see on the tile in the picture is meant to be cut to size to seal whatever device you chose to instal through the tile.
Thanks simoh1490 for clearing that up. I was wondering about the use of that tile with the plug in the top, as on the monier websites they show different venting. Really, with your answer simoh1490 and my inspection of the tile, they look pretty useless. But, there is a brochure on the window of the display room showing small whirlybird thinggies attached to this fitting.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Just now, carlyai said:

You can buy these in Thailand?

Brilliant.

Sadly no, they're from Australia. They're cheap enough to buy and ship but there's a question over the size of the unit versus the size of tiles used in Thailand and I was never able to resolve it. But it shouldn't be too hard to fabricate these things here in Thailand, if you know a friendly welder/steel shop.

Thanks simoh1490 for clearing that up. I was wondering about the use of that tile with the plug in the top, as on the monier websites they show different venting. Really, with your answer simoh1490 and my inspection of the tile, they look pretty useless. But, there is a brochure on the window of the display room showing small whirlybird thinggies attached to this fitting.

On a bit further investigation, the vents with the rotating wind driven head as shown on the display window were probably for toilet breather pipes etc. Even though they said venting, probably not the venting we are talking about. Sorry for the distraction.

Just now, carlyai said:

On a bit further investigation, the vents with the rotating wind driven head as shown on the display window were probably for toilet breather pipes etc. Even though they said venting, probably not the venting we are talking about. Sorry for the distraction.

Yes, I think they're vent soil pipes so useful for venting toilets etc., I even saw one display years ago with a weather vane sticking out of it!

43 minutes ago, carlyai said:

There's another, but more expensive option for weather protection. Roller shutter doors.
A couple of us are ordering them now from a company in China.

www.masterwellhk.com

They remind me of storm shutters that we used to have on the hospital in Miami, seriously strong stuff.

57 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

They remind me of storm shutters that we used to have on the hospital in Miami, seriously strong stuff.

I had two rental houses that I built in Waveland Mississippi in the late 1970s.  Both houses had metal roll up storm shutters.  Luckily I sold them when I moved to California in 1986.  The storm shutters did absolutely no good when hurricane Katrina swept through in 2005.  My friend sent me pictures of what was left of the houses, pipes sticking out of the ground.

I had two rental houses that I built in Waveland Mississippi in the late 1970s.  Both houses had metal roll up storm shutters.  Luckily I sold them when I moved to California in 1986.  The storm shutters did absolutely no good when hurricane Katrina swept through in 2005.  My friend sent me pictures of what was left of the houses, pipes sticking out of the ground.
Come on .... the storm shutters probably worked or you wouldn't still have the pipes sticking out of the ground. [emoji3]

16 hours ago, scorecard said:

Hi Simon, what's your comment please about the round multi level black attachment on the peak of the gable, with the SCG initials in the background?  I'm assuming it's a fitting to allow hot air to escape. Is that correct? Thanks.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=roof+decktites&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj

FscCK09jXAhXLpo8KHUFwDyoQsAQIJw&biw=1094&bih=522

39 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Thank you Kwasaki, lots to think about.

This thread is of course primarily intended to be of value to our dear Sheryl, and I and i'm sure others very supportive of the wonderful specific comments and ideas shared.

On the other hand there's lots of comments and advice I'm sure is very helpful to all. My knowledge of all matters in roofing is very poor and I've been struggling to make a focused plan to get some heat reduction benefits in the top floor of our house (4 bedrooms / 3 bathrooms and a central lobby area).

From the thread I've now got a specific strategy and a plan to implement it, and a big thank you to the on-line TV experts.

To Sheryl, looks like your now well underway and hopefully completed in the near future with world benchmark standards.

Are you thinking of any other renovations, maybe a total refit of your kitchen or whatever, there lot's of expertise available?

15 hours ago, carlyai said:

Some available in Bangkok apparently don't know where exactly, I'm no longer envolved in the building & roofing industry but noticed some on a house roof in one of those estates where all the houses the same, maybe they were a source of import.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=roof+tile+ridge+vents+thailand&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiL1MC-1tjXAhXINI8KHcs9AagQsAQIJQ&biw=1094&bih=522

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

My knowledge of all matters in roofing is very poor and I've been struggling to make a focused plan to get some heat reduction benefits in the top floor of our house (4 bedrooms / 3 bathrooms and a central lobby area).

There are many ways to heat reduction benefits and design & positon comes into the methods and products available.

Peeps are lucky these days building their homes, when mine was being built 17 years ago at a reasonable cost, local limited supplies were the only practical way but nowadays all needs are available to design budgets.

39 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

when mine was being built 17 years ago at a reasonable cost,

When I built mine 19 years ago here in the boonies, I had to make many trips to Bangkok to get what I wanted.  I remember the 6' attic insulation was no where to be found so I bought it in Bangkok and hauled it here, piled high and tied on my truck.  I don't know what it cost today but it cost "an arm and a leg" then!  I made four trips to Bangkok to haul the floor tile here because Lek and I couldn't agree on anything available locally.  I dreaded the trips since it was a day that I was not on site to fix all of the "Nic Nois" before they happened!

54 minutes ago, wayned said:

When I built mine 19 years ago here in the boonies, I had to make many trips to Bangkok to get what I wanted.  I remember the 6' attic insulation was no where to be found so I bought it in Bangkok and hauled it here, piled high and tied on my truck.  I don't know what it cost today but it cost "an arm and a leg" then!  I made four trips to Bangkok to haul the floor tile here because Lek and I couldn't agree on anything available locally.  I dreaded the trips since it was a day that I was not on site to fix all of the "Nic Nois" before they happened!

At least you were able to be there, l couldn't, wifey did a good job,  we made do locally a the builder guy did a good job. :thumbsup: 

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

...To Sheryl, looks like your now well underway and hopefully completed in the near future with world benchmark standards.

Are you thinking of any other renovations, maybe a total refit of your kitchen or whatever, there lot's of expertise available?

Step by step!

Between now and the hot season, will do something to reduce heating of walls & windows on the southern and western sides of the house. We've already including some mention of that here.

Then, next priority will be to render the electrical situation safer. Like the roof, many  mistakes made when the house first built compounded by further mistakes on the part of numerous "repairmen".  Merits a whole thread of its own but will have to wait until I recover from the re-roofing :laugh:

On 11/24/2017 at 2:20 PM, simoh1490 said:

Another potential option to consider is the UPVC porch awning that Homepro sells, the plastic shield comes in different colours but the frame work is brown, they can be found here: https://www.homepro.co.th/category/11177

I have two of those units installed over my water pumps to provide some protection against sunlight. They are SUPER strong units that will outlast your house and they are not unattractive. 

These would be great if they came in widths consistent with windows, but seem to be only in widths of 60 or 100cm. 60 cm is enough to shade the glass but not the metal frame of the windows. I would need 75 cm width where there are single windows and 150 width where double windows.  Anyone seen anything of this sort in those sort of widths?

Also - other question - now that you have all sensitized me to house heating issues I can see that the brown colored metal (?aluminum) frame of the outer wall of the glassed-in  upstairs porch seriously heats up and gives off heat into that room. I assume it is partly due to its dark color because it gets much hotter than the steel-colored frames around other windows (also aluminum I think?). We are painting the outside of the house anyhow as we go along to take advantage of the scaffolding so I am thinking of painting this white or off white. What type of paint would adhere well and last on this sort of surface?

20171108_123344#1.jpg

(I need to tint those windows too but that, I know how to do. May have trouble getting permission from the Cat, though!)

59 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

These would be great if they came in widths consistent with windows, but seem to be only in widths of 60 or 100cm. 60 cm is enough to shade the glass but not the metal frame of the windows. I would need 75 cm width where there are single windows and 150 width where double windows.  Anyone seen anything of this sort in those sort of widths?

Quite a few small shops in Chiang Mai muang make the same thing to order, but you need to be very specific about the quality / strength / appearance of the supports screwed to the wall, and even more careful about the quality of the sheeting. Some of the shops are the same ones that have made and installed canvas roll up awnings for years. I guess you can find these shops in many cities.

When my village was first completed many houses rushed to get these awnings made and installed but it was obvious very quickly which ones were good quality and still look good 5 to 6 years on in terms of quality and nice appearance, keep their original colour etc.,  and those where the frames have fallen adapt, twisted, paint flaked off, etc.,  and the sheeting discoloured and disintegrated and look just tacky.

Our guy built them for the window width...i think...
will check with the SWMBO.

31 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Thanks, I will check out local awning places. How will I know re quality of frames?

From past experience I will not go for canvas, it tears/mildews rapidly in this climate. Was thinking of galvanized steel.

Others can advise you much better than I can about the quality of the frames and the sheeting.

Pretty much all of these awnings in our village like this are fixed in a permanent position rather than fold awayvor roll away.

Some have low quality stainless steel frames but these are already showing severe signs of rust discolouration, etc.

On other houses the frames are obviously high quality stainless steel and they show no sign of rust or break down or staining at all.

On some houses the frames are high quality formed strong plastic made in some form of mould with an art nouveau styling and mostly still looking good.

The sheeting:

- Some are made from good quality stainless steel sheeting. Some are flat (with a slope for the rain to run off), some are curved, etc.

- Many are made from high quality thick internally ribbed plastic (it looks like plastic sheeting but maybe it's actually another product which looks like plastic to me). Some are flat (with a slope for the rain to run off), some are curved, etc.

I looked at these products a few months ago at home pro on the CM - Lampang Superhighway. They had a lot of brochure materials, some in English and it seemed like some of the sheeting (perhaps also the arms / supports) were imported.

Most of the guys that weld up the ornamental gates and security bars will come out and measure and build them to order.  They may even have a book, mine does, with pictures so you can choose the style.  You can choose the material that you want them to use, either box or round, stainless or regular (painted) steel and the wall thickness.  Most of them have contacts with one of the rolled steel roof fabricating suppliers and you can choose the color and style with a rolled over front closeout.  I had one built for a failed business that my wife started in the small town near me but don't remember, and can't find the paperwork, the price.

You don't have to go with "candy strip" and can even choose a really cool Thai color such as lime green or pink.

Most of the guys that weld up the ornamental gates and security bars will come out and measure and build them to order.  They may even have a book, mine does, with pictures so you can choose the style.  You can choose the material that you want them to use, either box or round, stainless or regular (painted) steel and the wall thickness.  Most of them have contacts with one of the rolled steel roof fabricating suppliers and you can choose the color and style with a rolled over front closeout.  I had one built for a failed business that my wife started in the small town near me but don't remember, and can't find the paperwork, the price.

You don't have to go with "candy strip" and can even choose a really cool Thai color such as lime green or pink.
Or purple, or the black with white big dots.

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Also - other question - now that you have all sensitized me to house heating issues I can see that the brown colored metal (?aluminum) frame of the outer wall of the glassed-in  upstairs porch seriously heats up and gives off heat into that room. I assume it is partly due to its dark color because it gets much hotter than the steel-colored frames around other windows (also aluminum I think?). We are painting the outside of the house anyhow as we go along to take advantage of the scaffolding so I am thinking of painting this white or off white. What type of paint would adhere well and last on this sort of surface?

The window frames are aluminum.  Raw aluminum needs to have an etching primer applied before painting.  A widely used primer is zinc chromate but it is highly carcinogenic.  I would recommend Rustolieum aluminum primer with the color coat also Rustolieum.  Rustolieum is available here as I use it on my farm equipment.

Having said that, the color coating on the aluminum frames is most likely the color of the anodizing treatment which also makes the surface of the aluminum inert and should accept paint without the etching primer, but I would still use the Rustolieum primer and color topcoat.

Do not use a water based emulsion paint.  If you don't use the Rustolieum you need to use an oil based paint.

Archived