New roof advice

Sheryl

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, wayned said:

All's been very quiet on the "Eastern Front".   Either the roof replacement is progressing very well or the workers have locked Sheryl in a downstairs closet without her telephone!

I was just thinking the very same thing, maybe she decided it was too much hassle and simply sold the house instead!

Some pointers on keeping the house cool:

If the overnight temperature is say 19 degrees, chances are the inside temperature at 7 am is going to be about the same, the trick from that point onwards is to prevent the number from rising. Assuming  all the roofing issues have been addressed (light coloured material, overhanging eaves, vented soffits, radiant barrier, attic insulation and good ventilation), only two things remain  that can cause the inside temperature to rise, 1) the sun hitting the sides of the building and windows, and 2) hot air entering the building through open windows and doors.

On the first point: tall trees are great for shielding the sunny sides of buildings from direct sunlight, in their absence, bamboo blinds attached to the eaves work really well. I’ve got four sets now in their fourth year, I use two of them in the winter months and the other two in the summer as the sun repositions, during transition months I use all four – they’re not expensive and not unattractive and they do stop direct sunlight very effectively.

Another option for windows is tinted or mirrored film. Most car window tint companies will install film on house windows also. I paid 1k per square metre to cover a series of patio-style sliding glass doors with mirror tint and it works well, it also offers a high level of privacy.

On the second point: if the overnight temperature is say 19 degrees you can help keep the inside of the house near to that level for longer by keeping all windows and outside doors closed - during the first half of the day it’s quite easy to keep temperature levels down. Later in the day, it helps to open one or two windows on the ground floor (only), about one foot each and only those on the cool side of the house, try it sometime and feel the airflow.

After about 4:30/5:0 pm, it’s worth opening as many doors and windows as possible because now the requirement is the opposite of what it was throughout the day, the objective now is to allow trapped hot air to escape and cooler outside air to enter.

5 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I was just thinking the very same thing, maybe she decided it was too much hassle and simply sold the house instead!

LOL

It's finally underway, long delays due to rain. Old roof removed from a section, RB installed, ammoth quantities of accumulated dirt, rat's nests, bird nests etc removed from the attic and (old, unsealed) eaves.

20171123_111813.jpg

Here are the white tiles -- as I mentioned there is only one company in Thailand that makes them (TPI). It is a fairly new product in their "Cool series" and the company told me I am the first to ever order it!! 

20171123_111758.jpg

20171123_111750.jpg

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

LOL

It's finally underway, long delays due to rain. Old roof removed from a section, RB installed, ammoth quantities of accumulated dirt, rat's nests, bird nests etc removed from the attic and (old, unsealed) eaves.

20171123_111813.jpg

Here are the white tiles -- as I mentioned there is only one company in Thailand that makes them (TPI). It is a fairly new product in their "Cool series" and the company told me I am the first to ever order it!! 

20171123_111758.jpg

20171123_111750.jpg

I hope you don't mind me asking, how much are the TPI tiles Sheryl?

P.S. Simoh - what about the durability of the bamboo blinds? They seem awfully fragile to me especially the threads, I can't see how they would last more than a season where I am between the winds and the heavy rains...

That front middle room of my house -- the hottest spot in it -- does indeed get a lot of heat through its windows. The frame of it is metal and then inside there is a floor to ceiling metalwork guard against thieves breaking in. By 10 AM in the morning all of that is hot to the touch.

But the whole point of that room is to have a porch-like view, and my cat loves to lie there in the sun.  I'd have to leave at least a foot at the bottom open to the sun for her sake (she's old, she has kidney disease so these are her final years and I want them to be as happy as possible...). But I suppose even 3/4 shading would help. And no problem shading the entire western face of the house, my bedroom is there and below that the area of the living room where I watch TV so dark is fine.  But I am concerned that bamboo blinds would nto last long enough to be worth installing...? Huge winds and really torrential rain are the norm here.

Forget trees, recent storms uprooted several including a large mango tree that crashed straight through the power lines and roof of the garden shed, and another that missed crashing through the roof of the worker's house by a thin margin. After that I had all the trees within roof-striking distance felled.

7 minutes ago, grollies said:

I hope you don't mind me asking, how much are the TPI tiles Sheryl?

The regular .5 x 1.2 panels are 59 baht each. The flashings etc more of course. So about 10 baht a piece more than say conventionally colored Oran tiles.

Entire supply for a 300 sq m roof with 5 gables came to 35,000 B

Less than  half the cost of Colorbond.

When the first shipment arrived from factory they held back some pieces that they said had failed the Quality check and supplied them later, I took that to be a good sign. My workers tell me the tiles are very good quality.

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The regular .5 x 1.2 panels are 59 baht each. The flashings etc more of course. So about 10 baht a piece more than say conventionally colored Oran tiles.

Entire supply for a 300 sq m roof with 5 gables came to 35,000 B

Less than  half the cost of Colorbond.

When the first shipment arrived from factory they held back some pieces that they said had failed the Quality check and supplied them later, I took that to be a good sign. My workers tell me the tiles are very good quality.

Good to know, thank you and hope the re-roofing goes well for you.

55 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

P.S. Simoh - what about the durability of the bamboo blinds? They seem awfully fragile to me especially the threads, I can't see how they would last more than a season where I am between the winds and the heavy rains...

That front middle room of my house -- the hottest spot in it -- does indeed get a lot of heat through its windows. The frame of it is metal and then inside there is a floor to ceiling metalwork guard against thieves breaking in. By 10 AM in the morning all of that is hot to the touch.

But the whole point of that room is to have a porch-like view, and my cat loves to lie there in the sun.  I'd have to leave at least a foot at the bottom open to the sun for her sake (she's old, she has kidney disease so these are her final years and I want them to be as happy as possible...). But I suppose even 3/4 shading would help. And no problem shading the entire western face of the house, my bedroom is there and below that the area of the living room where I watch TV so dark is fine.  But I am concerned that bamboo blinds would nto last long enough to be worth installing...? Huge winds and really torrential rain are the norm here.

Forget trees, recent storms uprooted several including a large mango tree that crashed straight through the power lines and roof of the garden shed, and another that missed crashing through the roof of the worker's house by a thin margin. After that I had all the trees within roof-striking distance felled.

Four years of use EVERY DAY, up, down, up down and still going strong, nothing broken or looking poor apart from one area that got soaked from a rainwater overflow that got blocked and the bamboo discoloured. I wind them up when they're not in use (pulley cord) and if it's windy or heavy rains. They're height adjustable so you can lower them as little or as much as you wish. I highly recommend.

BTW your new roof tiles look, er, cool! :) Glad to hear all is going well.

Four years of use EVERY DAY, up, down, up down and still going strong, nothing broken or looking poor apart from one area that got soaked from a rainwater overflow that got blocked and the bamboo discoloured. I wind them up when they're not in use (pulley cord) and if it's windy or heavy rains. They're height adjustable so you can lower them as little or as much as you wish. I highly recommend.

BTW your new roof tiles look, er, cool! :) Glad to hear all is going well.

Where did you buy them? Brand?

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

16 hours ago, Sheryl said:

P.S. Simoh - what about the durability of the bamboo blinds?

I have three vinyl roll up blinds/awnings that I use to shade and keep driving rain from the carport on the east end of the house.  They are the same as what you see used with ads one the Ma & Pa shops. I never found where to buy them and asked the Puyai and he said that they were sold by a guy in a truck, the same one that does the rain gutters.  He sent them over, they measured and  a few days later installed them. I have had/used them for years and they are still in great shape.  I have the "awning" option also but have never used it, I just roll them down and have attachments on the wall to secure them so they don't flop around in the wind.  They come in all colors and without the ads.

1 hour ago, carlyai said:

Maybe too late for this, but took these pics yesterday at a showroom in Roiet.

I know you have different tiles but the installation is one way of doing it.20171123_104910.jpg.1fa1a01112f13e229c4de61f0479befc.jpg20171123_104737.jpg.3426863caa33024267397cb71c5478dd.jpg20171123_104809.jpg.8c6e2aa2aa3d7f284227a007a4d6950b.jpg20171123_104718.jpg.b4807967fbc38a3b460beab91e38d533.jpg20171123_104650.jpg.c36c647db05d3f19476432356c4ca4b7.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Top picture upside down..

Those pictures are of the SCG HomeMart roofing displays, they have them in all the stores. I'm a little concerned at what you wrote when you said, "the installation is one of doing it", as far as I am concerned it's the ONLY way and I I'm pretty sure that's the way we've been suggesting all along - perhaps it's just the way you wrote what you did.

Those pictures are of the SCG HomeMart roofing displays, they have them in all the stores. I'm a little concerned at what you wrote when you said, "the installation is one of doing it", as far as I am concerned it's the ONLY way and I I'm pretty sure that's the way we've been suggesting all along - perhaps it's just the way you wrote what you did.
Yes, it's the way I think to do it, and it's the way I did it and hopefully Sheryl is doing it, but I think many may have done it the wrong way and laid the RB under the tiles. Probably was the easiest way to do it. I'm sure my so called builder would have laid it on top of the rafters if I hadn't been there.
That's what I meant of saying one way to do it.
Sorry for any confusion. I just put the pics up as the way to construct everything has been talked about, but can't remember seeing any pics.
Also the pic. of the ridge cap tile vents that have a little whirly bird installed. Major problem with SCG HomeMart, is that you can't buy 1 thing to take home and try. For the tile vent I would have had to order the lot, and then they said 45 day delivery. Strange company.

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

Actually I think that Sheryl is not using the "hat sections" and is screwing the new roofing directly to the existing battens/purlins and is attaching the RB to the bottom side of the rafters using thin metal strips.  So the distance/space from the bottom of the roof tiles to the RB is approximately 7", but I could be wrong!  I knew that she was going to use the "hat sections" if she went with the colorbond, but I think that she changed when she went with the composite roof panels.

Just now, carlyai said:

Yes, it's the way I think to do it, and it's the way I did it and hopefully Sheryl is doing it, but I think many may have done it the wrong way and laid the RB under the tiles. Probably was the easiest way to do it. I'm sure my so called builder would have laid it on top of the rafters if I hadn't been there.
That's what I meant of saying one way to do it.
Sorry for any confusion. I just put the pics up as the way to construct everything has been talked about, but can't remember seeing any pics.
Also the pic. of the ridge cap tile vents that have a little whirly bird installed. Major problem with SCG HomeMart, is that you can't buy 1 thing to take home and try. For the tile vent I would have had to order the lot, and then they said 45 day delivery. Strange company.

OK that's clear, thanks for clarifying. As you know, the problem with laying the RB directly under the tiles means there's no air gap so the RB becomes an extension of the roof tile and continues to radiate heat.

4 minutes ago, wayned said:

Actually I think that Sheryl is not using the "hat sections" and is screwing the new roofing directly to the existing battens/purlins and is attaching the RB to the bottom side of the rafters using thin metal strips.  So the distance/space from the bottom of the roof tiles to the RB is approximately 7", but I could be wrong!  I knew that she was going to use the "hat sections" if she went with the colorbond, but I think that she changed when she went with the composite roof panels.

That's still OK, as long as there is an air gap and to be honest, it won't hurt if it's bigger than needed.

BTW, we must be getting fairly close to the time of the new roof christening party, have you received an invitation yet? :shock1:

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

OK that's clear, thanks for clarifying. As you know, the problem with laying the RB directly under the tiles means there's no air gap so the RB becomes an extension of the roof tile and continues to radiate heat.

Just to clarify it is not the correct way putting RB/breathers/vapours directly under tiles/corrugated sheets, the installation method is either under battens as in roof tiles or under spacers as in roof sheets or the other alternative to underside of existing rafters or existing purlins.

13 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Just to clarify it is not the correct way putting RB/breathers/vapours directly under tiles/corrugated sheets, the installation method is either under battens as in roof tiles or under spacers as in roof sheets or the other alternative to underside of existing rafters or existing purlins.

Yes, we agree.

9 hours ago, wayned said:

I have three vinyl roll up blinds/awnings that I use to shade and keep driving rain from the carport on the east end of the house.  They are the same as what you see used with ads one the Ma & Pa shops. I never found where to buy them and asked the Puyai and he said that they were sold by a guy in a truck, the same one that does the rain gutters.  He sent them over, they measured and  a few days later installed them. I have had/used them for years and they are still in great shape.  I have the "awning" option also but have never used it, I just roll them down and have attachments on the wall to secure them so they don't flop around in the wind.  They come in all colors and without the ads.

Thanks, Wayne, I was thinking of those too as they seem more durable. As mentioned the weather where I am is extreme and the part of the house that most needs this faces south which is where the storms all roll in from.

I've started observing other houses, none in the area have bamboo blinds but I do see the heavy vinyl/?rubber  things around.

I am also wondering if it would work to put up awnings over the windows? i'd still need a roll down device for the front middle area (glassed in porch) but going around and feeling the temperatures what seems to heat up the most are the metal frames of the screens and the metal guard grills (or whatever they are called - the stuff to keep out thieves). These are really hot to the touch. There is some warmth in the walls but nothing like what is happening at the windows.

6 hours ago, wayned said:

Correct. You can see the RB installation in my post #493. It is behind the rafters so rafters and purlins are between it and the roofing.

By the way,  noticeable difference now in the worker's house since we installed RB and attic ventilation there. Well worth it.

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Thanks, Wayne, I was thinking of those too as they seem more durable. As mentioned the weather where I am is extreme and the part of the house that most needs this faces south which is where the storms all roll in from.

I've started observing other houses, none in the area have bamboo blinds but I do see the heavy vinyl/?rubber  things around.

I am also wondering if it would work to put up awnings over the windows? i'd still need a roll down device for the front middle area (glassed in porch) but going around and feeling the temperatures what seems to heat up the most are the metal frames of the screens and the metal guard grills (or whatever they are called - the stuff to keep out thieves). These are really hot to the touch. There is some warmth in the walls but nothing like what is happening at the windows.

where I live the neighbors got awnings on all the south facing windows that have no eaves (shophouses)...we got north facing windows without eaves and no direct afternoon sunlight so no problem...

should be easy enough to find a local fabricator/installer...nice with a candy stripe paint job...

Another potential option to consider is the UPVC porch awning that Homepro sells, the plastic shield comes in different colours but the frame work is brown, they can be found here: https://www.homepro.co.th/category/11177

I have two of those units installed over my water pumps to provide some protection against sunlight. They are SUPER strong units that will outlast your house and they are not unattractive. 

38 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

where I live the neighbors got awnings on all the south facing windows that have no eaves (shophouses)...we got north facing windows without eaves and no direct afternoon sunlight so no problem...

should be easy enough to find a local fabricator/installer...nice with a candy stripe paint job...

These are good roll up and down blinds, this one shield's the sun from carport.

23755447_10155961700485990_5022267279180618625_n.jpg.bdf8a34b041cc63cbc355ad9bace63ec.jpg

Another potential option to consider is the UPVC porch awning that Homepro sells, the plastic shield comes in different colours but the frame work is brown, they can be found here: https://www.homepro.co.th/category/11177

I have two of those units installed over my water pumps to provide some protection against sunlight. They are SUPER strong units that will outlast your house and they are not unattractive. 
I have a couple installed over the master bedroom windows. They do seem to provide good protection against the sun and rain.
20171124_150843.jpg20171124_150916.jpg20171124_150941.jpg20171124_151041.jpg

10 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Hi Simon, what's your comment please about the round multi level black attachment on the peak of the gable, with the SCG initials in the background?  I'm assuming it's a fitting to allow hot air to escape. Is that correct? Thanks.

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Hi Simon, what's your comment please about the round multi level attachment on the peak of the gable, with the SCG initials in the background?  I'm assuming it's a fitting to allow hot air to escape. Is that correct? Thanks.

No it's not for heat, it was originally designed by Monier to use as a means of passing a variety of fixtures through the roof, TV antenna cable, boiler flues, metal chimney pipes etc, it's far too small to use as a ridge vent for hot air and even stringing a bunch of them together wouldn't work very well, plus it would look as ugly as sin. SCG does sell ridge vents however which work very well but they don't look anything like that. The black rubber cap you see on the tile in the picture is meant to be cut to size to seal whatever device you chose to instal through the tile.

Archived