Thaivisa Phuket - the Wake

LivinginKata

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, pistachios said:

What don't you agree with? That the old regs have died or left, that the newer expats won't touch ThaiVisa with a barge pole or that you can find all good info on facebook?

This bit.

"The newer expats that have replaced them want nothing to do with this forum. In their mind ThaiVisa is just a bunch of old racist bigot sexpats who like to complain about everything (even if it is not really true for most subsections of the forum), and they don't want to be associated with them".

You claim to know what "newer expats" (note the plural) think.

You're just making it up, or, it's your own point of view that you are projecting onto the multitudes.

It's bull-crap either way.....

Edited by KarenBravo

A lot of former posters on this forum were fly out, fly in workers who worked in the oil exploration industry or occupations involved with it, i am sure most people have met or new someone who based themselves in Phuket and was involved in this industry, its centrally located and the cost of living here is very cheap compared to the majority of their home countries.

The majority of the people who did this and i have met have already left Phuket because there is no longer any work available for them in the oil industry because of over supply and low prices, the few that are left have no where to go or a established home and family here

For a lot of other people the exchange rate for their home country currency is very low so they live and holiday in other similar destinations where their buck goes further

People who have planned and saved and invested for their future can easily afford to live here still but not those who have not and were relying on a income that no longer exists would be really battling to survive here now and in the future  

8 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

This bit.

"The newer expats that have replaced them want nothing to do with this forum. In their mind ThaiVisa is just a bunch of old racist bigot sexpats who like to complain about everything (even if it is not really true for most subsections of the forum), and they don't want to be associated with them".

You're just making it up, or, it's your own point of view that you are projecting onto the multitudes.

It's just observation that I've made while browsing reddit and facebook. Thaivisa is literally an insult on there. 

Apparently, you had no idea how bad the general image of this website was. You choosing to think it's bullshit doesn't phase me one bit.

On 30/10/2017 at 9:08 AM, LivinginKata said:

Nothing wrong with 'newbies' seeking local knowledge.  Often a quick Google search will provide the answer.

Clearly all the Phuket Immigration posts have a great deal of value to us long term residents.

I especially commend Dr Dave and xylophone for thir well composed (and colourful) obsevations of local Patong life.

Thank you for your kind words, LiK, much appreciated, although I did get one or two complaints about my posts on Patong and the nightlife etc, so I have cut them back somewhat.

I really do think there is a combination of things and just about everybody has touched on them – – perhaps a few have left Thailand (I know a few who have) or with the website changes, decided to look elsewhere for the news and have become accustomed to that now, so visit this website less frequently.

Then of course there is the lack of "interesting" threads, although we all know that this means different things to different people. As an example I will take the Montclair thread because that went on for hundreds of pages and I found it very interesting, hence the reason I was a regular poster on it, because it is my hobby, but then there were other interesting posters like Grant Smith who is in the wine business, and the likes of yourself and topt, craig3365 etc, not to mention Laislica who even took the time to post when he was sampling some wine in Spain!

Sure there are the curmudgeons and those who sought to attack other people, and unfortunately I was on the end of some of those, not only on that thread but on others, by a particularly vindictive poster and I notice that he even cropped up again on Saturday on a thread concerning wine, with his insults to myself and others who posted on the subject.

No need for his and other (worse) ad hominem posts (many) aimed at me, and I do believe he was warned and even banned for such activity; however if this is repeated a few times throughout various posts and threads, then it does turn people off or make them wonder what the hell it is all about, and perhaps fear that they will receive similar treatment if they post.

On the other hand I have gleaned some useful information regarding the immigration rules and changes, tips on air cons and other repairs, information on things medical as well as related insurance and so on, and I have even swapped private messages with folk on subjects ranging from where to find some wine on offer through to help with my computer and also how to watch sports – – so I try not to let the negative attitude of a few people affect me and overall I think it is a good forum.

Just more activity needed......so step right up folks, and why not encourage every one of us to "enrol" a newbie once a month??

I pleased that this topic has more or less stayed on track and the few trolls have not derailed it.

I suppose I became disenfranchised  with George's never ending drive to raise more Google ad money by cluttering up the pages with ads and not allowing ad blocker took me away for a few months.

George sold out (no doubt Google revenue pushed up the sale price) and I know nothing about the new owners. But I can say the servers seem very unstable these days and I have periods when I can't access the site. Not good for the ardent member base. George was always adept at keep the servers running. I suppose (know) that was his professional area of expertise.

Last I heard (and I hear little these days) rumour has it George has some sort of  advertisng  executive 'job' with Google Hong Kong. I wish him good luck. I always liked him as my 'boss'.

I have been a TV member for 10+ years now and I only personaly knew a hand full of members over those years . My choice as I preferred  not to participate at the annual Phuket 'parties' after my first 'party' at the Ratri in Kata where newbies were almost shunned and the old gang had a good party.

Today I can think of only 2 active Phuket members still posting that I have met years ago but I have no recent interaction with. Some died, many left Thailand. I suppose that I am a sad person but then again I prefer being a home person after 17.00 and can see enough conflict on any evening news program to switch off after a short time.      

LiKa, I agree with  you.

I sponsored one of the last bbqs by the late Buckwheat, at the other Friendship Beach (which I helped scout for George), in Rawai, back about 10 years maybe. I met some nice people there, maybe I met you.

The last bbq with him was in Kata, at that restaurant on the hill (cannot remember the name) co sponsored by a local magazine. That was the end.

TV has been going downhill since and I agree about the server stability. Constant, daily sql errors and dns issues. Irrespective of whether I use a vpn or not, these issues are dragging down the site.

Very sad.

4 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

LiKa, I agree with  you.

I sponsored one of the last bbqs by the late Buckwheat, at the other Friendship Beach (which I helped scout for George), in Rawai, back about 10 years maybe. I met some nice people there, maybe I met you.

The last bbq with him was in Kata, at that restaurant on the hill (cannot remember the name) co sponsored by a local magazine. That was the end.

TV has been going downhill since and I agree about the server stability. Constant, daily sql errors and dns issues. Irrespective of whether I use a vpn or not, these issues are dragging down the site.

Very sad.

Only one I went to was on the hill in Kata - Ratri Jazz Bar. The previous year was at the Green Man (I was not a TV member then). After the Ratri there was too much member dissent about the next location and I myself was disinterested. There was one more organised by the gregarious  then Admin raro somewhere in Rawai. It's not just the Phuket form with no 'parties' these days. Seems to be the same in the bigger forums - Pattaya, Chiang Mai, and Bangkok.

6 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Even now I have a problem in that the "Like" button has disappeared and in its place is text, with no sign of the other options (sad, confused etc).........my computer or another fault I wonder??

27 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Even now I have a problem in that the "Like" button has disappeared and in its place is text, with no sign of the other options (sad, confused etc).........my computer or another fault I wonder??

Just over over the word 'like' and the other options come up (again in words).

In other words, I am experiencing the same.

Edited by stevenl

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Only one I went to was on the hill in Kata - Ratri Jazz Bar. The previous year was at the Green Man (I was not a TV member then). After the Ratri there was too much member dissent about the next location and I myself was disinterested. There was one more organised by the gregarious  then Admin raro somewhere in Rawai. It's not just the Phuket form with no 'parties' these days. Seems to be the same in the bigger forums - Pattaya, Chiang Mai, and Bangkok.

There were a couple of parties organized.

One at Ricknrolls in Kata in 2011 and, I think, the last one at the Rawai Sportsmans Club in 2012. 

56 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

There were a couple of parties organized.

One at Ricknrolls in Kata in 2011 and, I think, the last one at the Rawai Sportsmans Club in 2012. 

Correct - forgot about the Ricknrolls. Rick was a forum member, Baz the TV sales manager was angling for a sponsor deal from Rick. Rick read all the bickering about next party location and offered to host the event. I know nothing the financials, I was not involved. Think the other Phuket mod at that time organised it - katabeachbum :shock1:. Rick disappeared from TV posting  not long later  

Correction - Ricknrolll still listed as a sponsor - but not visited TV for 6 years.

Edited by LivinginKata

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Correct - forgot about the Ricknrolls. Rick was a forum member, Baz the TV sales manager was angling for a sponsor deal from Rick. Rick read all the bickering about next party location and offered to host the event. I know nothing the financials, I was not involved. Think the other Phuket mod at that time organised it - katabeachbum :shock1:. Rick disappeared from TV posting  not long later  

Correction - Ricknrolll still listed as a sponsor - but not visited TV for 6 years.

Rick's business failed 3 years ago or so, maybe even longer. First he moved from Kata new area to Koktanod Road, and after some time there, I think 1 or 2 years, he vanished from the island.

Edited by stevenl

On 10/31/2017 at 7:38 AM, KarenBravo said:

This bit.

well, in my circles with the expats and professionals based in thailand, primarily in Bangkok or on the islands, the mention of thaivisa is generally met with derision.

"old racist bigot sexpats" is a fairly accurate summary of the sentiments I hear regularly.

your mileage may vary.

2 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

well, in my circles with the expats and professionals based in thailand, primarily in Bangkok or on the islands, the mention of thaivisa is generally met with derision.

"old racist bigot sexpats" is a fairly accurate summary of the sentiments I hear regularly.

your mileage may vary.

"Old, racist, bigot sexpats".

If that sentence doesn't scream bigotry and ignorance, then, I don't know what does.

Seems "your circle" can be a bit hypocrtical, eh?

24 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

"Old, racist, bigot sexpats".

If that sentence doesn't scream bigotry and ignorance, then, I don't know what does.

Seems "your circle" can be a bit hypocrtical, eh?

you questioned a statement made by another poster, i posted my experience.

make what you want of it.  i personally could not care less.

a quick search will most certainly turn up sentiments not unlike this:

ThaiVisa. I couldn't handle that site. It was so negative. It was like they collected every miserable SOB you ever met in a bar and put them all on one website.

You can take any topic, and the members there will find some way to bash Thai people and Thailand. China is planning on sending a man to the moon. Well, Thai people are too lazy to ever go to the moon. Thai people would never go to the moon because there's no somtam there. Blah, blah, blah.

And god forbid someone try to do something positive in Thailand. They will be mercilessly ridiculed as being naive or people will assign them all sorts of ulterior motives. I remember at some of the TF events we raised money for orphanages and other charities. You would never see that on TV. Everyone would say that the kids are faking it for the money or that anyone who cared about Thai children was a pedophile.

You can see how that negativity feeds on itself. When you hang out on TV you start getting cynical, hateful. Like you, I had to get off of there.

Edited by HooHaa

4 hours ago, HooHaa said:

you questioned a statement made by another poster, i posted my experience.

make what you want of it.  i personally could not care less.

a quick search will most certainly turn up sentiments not unlike this:

Well, just like you, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if that's what they think, then nothing is going to change their mind.

Personally I have found some helpful folk on here as well as the occasional a/hole, but then that's par for course for many forums I believe.

I did have a Facebook account, but I had to close that because of the absolute banality of it all – – photographs of cups of coffee, someone holding a beer or alcoholic drink and so on. Just what you wanted to see pictures of!

And what finally turned me off was this particular sentence on someone's page, "it's getting a bit chilly, I think will turn on the gas fire". If that's the news for the day, then I'm better off of that particular medium – – and the fact that there are millions using it just goes to show that there are a lot of sad and sorry people out there.

Everyone to their own.

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

Well, just like you, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if that's what they think, then nothing is going to change their mind.

Personally I have found some helpful folk on here as well as the occasional a/hole, but then that's par for course for many forums I believe.

I did have a Facebook account, but I had to close that because of the absolute banality of it all – – photographs of cups of coffee, someone holding a beer or alcoholic drink and so on. Just what you wanted to see pictures of!

And what finally turned me off was this particular sentence on someone's page, "it's getting a bit chilly, I think will turn on the gas fire". If that's the news for the day, then I'm better off of that particular medium – – and the fact that there are millions using it just goes to show that there are a lot of sad and sorry people out there.

Everyone to their own.

Agree with you xylophone. Although I still have an active Facebook account, there are many days I wonder why.

Over the years, many of my Facebook friends began to use Facebook as a vehicle to push their political agendas, which is about as welcome as a steady stream of telemarketing phone calls. Add to that, those people who find it necessary to inform potentially 100's of other people of the most mundane activities of their day (e.g. "this morning I went to the grocery, and then the gym"), and my Facebook stream became a veritable wasteland of unwanted and/or useless information. Fortunately, the "unfollow" feature was added to the software, allowing me to mute these people.

One of the most disturbing things about Facebook is that it's a data aggregator and marketer's goldmine. People willingly give up personal information in small bits and pieces that they wouldn't dream of giving to strangers. All of these bits and pieces can be aggregated to build an incredibly detailed profile of a user. The "share if you..." posts are the biggest (and easiest to mine) sources of profile-component information, followed by the "quiz" and "do you remember..." posts. For a particular user, it's easy for an aggregator to build a profile containing such things as: your approximate age, you have a son and/or daughter, you have a mother, father, sibling and/or child that has passed away. You like a particular type of music and food. You have particular religious beliefs. You have particular political leanings. You do/don't have a grasp of basic logic,  arithmetic, and/or problem-solving skills. The list goes on and on, with these profiles being extremely valuable as a marketing asset. Although this adage relative to free websites and social media has been around for quite some time, many people still don't understand: "If nothing is being marketed to you, then it is YOU that is being marketed".

So what does all of this have to do with TVF? An argument has been made in several posts above, that TVF is obsolete, with most people using Facebook instead. From my perspective (as a user of both platforms), I much prefer TVF to Facebook for Thailand-specific information. Although I'm inclined to think that the owners of TVF probably use some user content as marketing assets, it certainly can't be on the same scale as Facebook. The flip-side is that if a Facebook user uses their account solely for the purpose of participating in discussion groups void of all the marketing gimmick posts, then I suppose they would be exempt from becoming a marketing asset. But... how many Facebook users actually use their accounts strictly for that purpose, and have no linked "friends"?

Some interesting opinions in this thread, but for me, it's really quite simple.

Forum rules state content must be posted in English.  Most of the tourists coming to Phuket now are Chinese, and the majority of them can not speak, or read English, thus, "new" interest in all things Phuket is in decline.  Add to that the Russian tourists as well.

Then. you have a declining western tourism market to Phuket, as well as a declining expat community, either through moving away, or passing away, and you can see why the Phuket forum is struggling to attract new members, and active posters.  

In my opinion, it is / was the tourism industry that sparks the interest of a first time visitor to make inquiries into returning here for a holiday - perhaps a longer holiday, future retirement here, working here, investing here, buying / starting a business here, property here etc. Tourism WAS Phuket's best advertisement for itself, and therefore, the Phuket TV forum. 

Those western tourists are not coming here in the numbers they used to, so certainly return visitors are down, and therefore, new expat retirees.  Whilst tourist numbers are up, they are up on the back of cheap Chinese package holiday makers who will never show an interest in Phuket after their holiday. 

TV will never release the statistics, but it would be interesting to see a graph for post amounts over the last 3 years.  I would suggest there would be a noticeable decline over the last 2 years.

So, as many businesses are in decline here, it is of no surprise to me that the Phuket TV forum would also be in decline.

If you were to disregard the interest in a serious and news worthy incident that occurs on Phuket that gets "pinned" to the TV main page, which attracts the interest of members who normal post on other forums, there really isn't that many posts, per day, on the Phuket forum these days, and as the western tourism market, and western expat community here further declines, so to will the Phuket forum.

Edited by NamKangMan

17 hours ago, xylophone said:

Everyone to their own.

ironically these are you friends, and you do have control over who you follow.

i am not saying that thaivisa has no merit and that there aren't some very valuable posters and resources here on occasion.

i am merely pointing out public perception of the place i have encountered despite the vehement insistence of others that that perception does not exist.

Edited by HooHaa

36 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

i am not saying that thaivisa has no merit and that there aren't some very valuable posters and resources here on occasion.

i am merely pointing out public perception of the place i have encountered despite the vehement insistence of others that that perception does not exist.

If only we didn't have to weed through so much detritus to get to the nuggets. 

I agree that there is some great info, but there's also a lot of bickering and a lot of false, sometimes even dangerous, information.  I'm sure some of it is well meaning, but when people have health questions, or visa issues that can mean the difference between keeping their family together or separating them, the answers should be reliable or they shouldn't be posted.

(Edit:  And at the risk of getting sideways with the rule regarding posting about moderation, moderators should be deleting the bad information even more diligently than they delete the bickering.  One's a minor irritation.  The other can be tragic.)

What's also disconcerting (at least it should be to the owners) is pulling up a section and seeing that only one or two of the topics have any new posts in the last month.  And in a lot of cases, none of them have any fresh posts. 

Edited by impulse

25 minutes ago, impulse said:

If only we didn't have to weed through so much detritus to get to the nuggets. 

I agree that there is some great info, but there's also a lot of bickering and a lot of false, sometimes even dangerous, information.  I'm sure some of it is well meaning, but when people have health questions, or visa issues that can mean the difference between keeping their family together or separating them, the answers should be reliable or they shouldn't be posted.

(Edit:  And at the risk of getting sideways with the rule regarding posting about moderation, moderators should be deleting the bad information even more diligently than they delete the bickering.  One's a minor irritation.  The other can be tragic.)

What's also disconcerting (at least it should be to the owners) is pulling up a section and seeing that only one or two of the topics have any new posts in the last month.  And in a lot of cases, none of them have any fresh posts. 

The problem with visa advice / information is what is accurate today, may not be applicable tomorrow. 

Then, you have the individual immigration officers interpreting the law and procedures their own different ways, and then implementing their interpretations differently.

All visa advice / information should be accepted as general in nature, and not relied upon. 

1 hour ago, HooHaa said:

ironically these are you friends, and you do have control over who you follow.

True enough, and it also goes to show, as I stated earlier, "everyone to their own", if they believe it is important!!

As you said and others also, mostly good folks on here who are well meaning, with just a few exceptions.  And I have been helped with aircon sizes, computer problems, how to watch sport on tv, travel info, immigration info, car and motorbike info, where to source some wines..............and more.

I consider TV a daily activity, just like reading a newspaper.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

<snip>

I have a little bit experience on TV moderation. It is not the moderators function to delete, or even worse to edit, members posts. Moderators MUST follow the forum rule book. Rule book does not cover 'bad' information, only covers slander/liable issues. Not for the line mod to decide on good or bad information. Might be the line mod brings any 'problematic' post up to a higher  Admin for a discussion.

Normally not necessarry as forum members are very quich to call out bad information.

Sorry mods - please delete if you consider breaches forum rules.      

Edited by LivinginKata

8 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I have a little bit experience on TV moderation. It is not the moderators function to delete, or even worse to edit, members posts. Moderators MUST follow the forum rule book. Rule book does not cover 'bad' information, only covers slander/liable issues. Not for the line mod to decide on good or bad information. Might be the line mod brings any 'problematic' post up to a higher  Admin for a discussion.

Sorry mods - please delete if you consider breaches forum rules.      

I appreciate the complexity.  But if you can't trust the information, doesn't that diminish the value of the resource?    And that translates to $$$ for the owners.

I've been on the forum for four years now and am not aware of any decline in that time. The weekly digest of Phuket forum posts varies in number but I'm not seeing a steady decline. When I post, asking for some local information, there are the same number of (mostly very helpful) posts as I received four years ago.

Clearly, I missed the Golden Years of the Phuket buzz and parties every now and then, and I'm sure things do seem slower compared with that.

Are you all missing a more social, community feel to the forum? I have never felt such a vibe in my time here. It's largely a polite, but not especially warm and friendly place. 

As for TV as a whole, I'm afraid it does have that reputation for cynical, Thai-bashing bigotry. It is deserved, unfortunately. There are a lot of unhappy people on TV as a whole. It's sad.

I think some snowflakey newbies would definitely be put off. Some other sites are much more welcoming.

Is Facebook replacing TV? Not as far as I'm concerned. I'm on both sites at least once a day, for a short time. Facebook's format doesn't seem to allow it to become a searchable repository for useful information on anything, rather threads disappear in time, like tears in rain, never to be read again. Thus it's pretty useless and is no real alternative to TV.

TV is very useful. There's nothing close to it for local and general Thai help. Maybe the camaraderie is gone. Was there any camaraderie in the first place?