Thai Work Permits: issue and surrender

Quick questions for those with oodles of experience in such matters, especially in the provinces.

Does the applicant for a Thai work permit have to present themselves personally to collect the WP when it is issued?

Does the holder of the WP have to surrender the same WP in person at the time employment ends?

Thanks!

NL

Yes and yes. The Labour Dept. wants to be sure that they are issuing and giving the permit to the person stated therein.

They don't want someone cancelling someone else's W.P., whether as some sort of prank, or as a serious attempt to cause trouble for the permit holder. 

They might accept a cancellation with a letter of authorization from the permit holder, but that is a guess on my part. Check with them in advance if you are thinking of going this route.

Yes and No.

Yes to issue because you need to be present to sign the first page of the permit when it is issued. Your signature is then covered with a laminated strip.

No to surrender because you can sign a letter of authority for an authorised person to do this for you.

27 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Yes and No.

Yes to issue because you need to be present to sign the first page of the permit when it is issued. Your signature is then covered with a laminated strip.

No to surrender because you can sign a letter of authority for an authorised person to do this for you.

That sounds like a good plan. Thanks!

13 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

Yes and No

Yes, to sign for it

No, it does not need to be surrendered at all if it you stop working the same day the WP expires and you do not intend to work in the future.

I will see what the WP says regarding expiry date when I pick it up tomorrow but I really don't want to fart-arse around at the end of the short job.

9 hours ago, blackcab said:

In Bangkok you can hand in the work permit and cancellation form with the application for a new job.

Good to know. I am in Songkhla on a one-off (thankfully) and don't plan on returning to Bangkok to do it personally.