Environmentalist to be honoured in New York

geovalin

The Goldman Environmental Prize winner Ouch Leng, president of the Cambodian Human Rights Task Force, has been awarded the Asia Game Changer Award for 2017 from the Asia Society. Mr Leng will go to collect the award in New York on November 1 with eight other winners from around the world.

“I’m excited because the previous winners were famous people,” he said. “I’m wondering why this organisation selected me to get the award this year, because I didn’t submit anything, am not a wealthy person and only protected forests and the environment.” Mr Leng noted that previous winners have included China’s richest online businessman Jack Ma and boxing champion Manny Pacquiao.

A 42-year-old forest activist, Mr Leng has been an outspoken critic of the timber business networks. “They recognised my work to change society, that my voice has encouraged young people and citizens to stand up and protect forests and the environment,” he said.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/5088344/environmentalist-honoured-new-york/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 31/10