"multiple Wives Just 'personal' Business"

LaoPo

"Multiple wives just 'personal' business" : a quote by "Interior Minister Aree Wongsearaya"

source: The Nation

http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/12/31/pol...cs_30022963.php

""I have six wives while the CNS chief* has only two, so it is nothing to talk about," he said"

*National Security chairman Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin.

I am aware of the 'Mia Noi' in Thailand, but is having multiple wives in Thailand considered normal ?

I know Sonthi is Muslim and therefore entitled to have 4 wives according to their religion, but Minister Aree Wongsearaya has six ? :o

Aren't there Laws in Thailand against bigamy ?

What's your opinion ?

LaoPo

"Multiple wives just 'personal' business" : a quote by "Interior Minister Aree Wongsearaya"

source: The Nation

http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/12/31/pol...cs_30022963.php

""I have six wives while the CNS chief* has only two, so it is nothing to talk about," he said"

*National Security chairman Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin.

I am aware of the 'Mia Noi' in Thailand, but is having multiple wives in Thailand considered normal ?

I know Sonthi is Muslim and therefore entitled to have 4 wives according to their religion, but Minister Aree Wongsearaya has six ? :D

Aren't there Laws in Thailand against bigamy ?

What's your opinion ?

LaoPo

First of all, it seems obvious that Khun Aree was speaking tongue in cheek -- implying that his six wives and Gen Sonthi's two averaged out to 4 wives each, which is OK.

My opinion is that he (Gen Sonthi) should perhaps have considered keeping the second one unregistered. :o