210,000 fake sunglasses found in raids in Bangkok

webfact

210,000 fake sunglasses found in raids in BKK

In a search with a warrant from the Intellectual Property and International Trade Court, DSI officials discovered about 210,000 fakes.

By Tanutam Thawan

sergey-kohl-shutterstock-com-sunglasses-

The Department of Special Investigation has arrested a Chinese national and seized about 210,000 pairs of counterfeit eyeglasses of various name brand names in raids on three warehouses in Bangkok.

The DSI say the raids on the warehouses in Khlong Thom and Khlong San were conducted after learning from investigations that a large quantity of untaxed sunglasses and general eyewear had been illegally imported and stored in the warehouses.

Full story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/210000-fake-sunglasses-found-raids-bkk

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-11-01

There are so many copies in Thailand, so I wouldn´t even trust buying a Lacoste shirt in their Bangkok showroom.
Sometimes I actually have been thinking about having a code word with my wife, so I know that the original comes home every time.

10 minutes ago, Get Real said:

There are so many copies in Thailand, so I wouldn´t even trust buying a Lacoste shirt in their Bangkok showroom.
Sometimes I actually have been thinking about having a code word with my wife, so I know that the original comes home every time.

only a few years back i remember a story about a thai woman in london buying high end hand bags from the flag ship stores then returning them for a refund. she took back fakes and kept the originals. it was going on for quite some time before it was noticed and she was caught. that left the designer brand owners to admit that they had fakes in circulation in their stores that may have been sold on to customers as originals. c'est la vie as the frogs say ; )

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

If the designer brands in their shops were not so ridiculously expensive then there would be less of a market for fakes. Bring your prices down, increase turnover, more profits.......

I don't think that's how it works. The idea is designer. Once its so cheap everyone can afford it, no one will want it.

Can anybody please explain to me what "fake sunglasses" are.

Sunglasses with window glass in them, maybe, or no glass at all?

If the stop some sunrays, well, they do their work and are real sunglasses.

That said, why must policemen, paid by taxpayers, work for free for companies?

Are those companies paying for the police hours?

5 minutes ago, hansnl said:

I suppose the originals will have some standards on cutting UV rays etc and no distortion when you look through them. The glass may be treated to not release shards that could damage your eyes in an accident.

Cheap copies will most likely not have those properties.

44 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I suppose the originals will have some standards on cutting UV rays etc and no distortion when you look through them. The glass may be treated to not release shards that could damage your eyes in an accident.

Cheap copies will most likely not have those properties.

Depending on which website you visit,some say there is absolutely no difference in what sunglasses do,others say there are big differences.

I guess it all depends who gets paid by whom.In this case there were no taxes paid so the government feels left out and they demand their

cut.

The first thing I noticed on Facebook today was a shared post of an advert for a Thai company selling Ray Ban sunglasses reduced to 640 Baht from 6900 Baht.

Shouldn't be difficult to get these prates if they really wanted to.

3 hours ago, hansnl said:

Real vs fake Ray Ban

http://www.theeyecentre.com/how-can-i-tell-if-a-ray-ban-is-real-or-fake.html

Most of the stuff these days comes out of china, the only difference on many of the items is the original comes out of the front door and the so called copy comes out of the backdoor. So the problem is and has been for years the Laws in China where they claim ownership to a little cover that goes over an IPhone IE name (IPhone) and the company that invented the phone and is know all across the world for doing so, lost the case in china when it went to court there.

When you buy cheap you know its a fake or at the very least nicked.

On 11/1/2017 at 11:02 AM, Get Real said:

But how can you be sure your wife is the original one and not a copy? lol :shock1::shock1::shock1:

Fake when they are labeled ray bans and sold for a 100 baht