Thailand Salary Guide 2017

Hi

We often get questions regarding salaries in Thailand and how much Thai people earn.

I came across this online. 

https://adecco.co.th//uploads/knowledge-center/salary-guide/adecco-thailand-salary-guide-2017.pdf

I think we posted a similar guide from Adecco a few years ago.

Anyway, some of you may find the info useful, or not as the case may be!

I am attempting to open the link, but it is taking forever. My rule of thumb on this very general question is: Take a comparable position in a comparably sized community in your home country, and divide by 3.5.

Example: US $25,000 x B 33.17 = B 829,000/3.5 = B 237,000.

53 minutes ago, allane said:

I am attempting to open the link, but it is taking forever. My rule of thumb on this very general question is: Take a comparable position in a comparably sized community in your home country, and divide by 3.5.

And depending on the "home country" the result will change a lot...

About the link: Right click and save as (or something similar depending on your browser).

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I just had a short look at the Adecco website. It seems to me that they are an international company and I imagine that their numbers are not reprehensive for most Thai only companies in Thailand. What do others think? 

Did you mean representative?

3 hours ago, AndyDo said:

In the Adecco salary guide, what period of working time are the salary amounts paid for?  Week? Hour? Day? Particular number of days? I could not find a salary-to-time scale anywhere.  

Yes, per hour indeed. We all went to Thailand..........

7 hours ago, allane said:

too high... All depends on the job and where in Thailand.  Rayong, Bangkok you are going to pay more than udon, Chang Mai. We pay our factory workers 320B a day, plant manager 25,000B a month, driver 12000B a month, accountant 18,000B a month.  I have a few thai friends that own companies and they pay less than this. 

3 minutes ago, ericthai said:

too high... All depends on the job and where in Thailand.  Rayong, Bangkok you are going to pay more than udon, Chang Mai. We pay our factory workers 320B a day, plant manager 25,000B a month, driver 12000B a month, accountant 18,000B a month.  I have a few thai friends that own companies and they pay less than this. 

Is 320 Baht the minimum wage? 8 x 40...yeah, guess so.

Edited by hugocnx

26 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

Is 320 Baht the minimum wage? 8 x 40...yeah, guess so.

No minimum wages depends on area.  Minimum wages were increased in 2017. The lowest is 305 and the highest is 310. We pay a little higher than minimum wage as we want good workers. This is based on a 6 days a week.   Dont understand your 8x40   The 310 is per day which comes to about 7500 a month, however most of our guys work overtime so our average pay for factory workers is around 9000B a month. 

5 hours ago, Orangeclockwork said:

Seems more accurant ,

most Thai people I met

on minimum wages even in Bangkok area hardly 

above 11000  bahts on 6 days or with overtime .

builders are not well paid also .

Offices  , 

or better  jobs  under 20000 bahts .

If I were hiring out a building job I would look for a guy who owns a level, a square, and a tape measure, and make him the lead man. 
Amazing there are not more building collapses.

12 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

The categories are pretty much limited to corporate business. i.e. no doctors or nurses, no help in figuring out if you are paying your waitresses to scale, etc.

One waitress I met in an upscale restaurant was from Chanthaburi, was attentive and spoke good English, she made 18,000 baht/month. Another waitress was in a typical Thai restaurant, he was from Lao, spoke no English, and was paid 6,000 baht/month.

So salaries are all over the map, but so are the “qualifications” of the people earning the salaries. In my building we originally paid the staff 12,000 baht/month and got staff that could not use Excel and was pocketing money, now we pay 19,000 baht/month and have qualified staff where one even paid for a mistake he made (without my knowledge, I noticed it only when I read the month’s ledger)…

The salary guide reflects Adecco's clients and candidates.

In the past when hiring and using Adecco, we tended to do so for lower level positions. That seemed to be where their strengths were. The fact that their highest category is "5 years and up" probably reflects that too. 5 years and up is a massively wide category. Normally I'd expect to see further granularity something like a 5-10 years experience category, 10-20 years experience category, plus categories for C-Level positions etc etc.

The fact their highest is 5 years up suggest again they are mainly for low-mid level positions and don't do many senior hires.

As a result their maximums are low for many of the office positions I've seen. Particularly in the accounting and finance field. For low to mid level they look reasonably accurate though and fit with what I've seen in my areas

Cheers

Fletch :)

Edited by fletchsmile

I believe in the more remote areas, like the village my girlfriend comes from, halfway between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, most people would earn around 8000 - 9000 Baht a month at the low end. This would be for work like farming, construction or work in a factory.

Edited by wolf81

On 11/1/2017 at 8:01 PM, Bill Miller said:

The categories are pretty much limited to corporate business. i.e. no doctors or nurses, no help in figuring out if you are paying your waitresses to scale, etc.

Not true the labor board is very strong and leans on the side of the employee, had to deal with them a few times.  However small Thai companies get away with allot as the employees are mostly unaware of their rights / laws or intimated by the employer.

On 11/4/2017 at 12:55 AM, wolf81 said:

I believe in the more remote areas, like the village my girlfriend comes from, halfway between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, most people would earn around 8000 - 9000 Baht a month at the low end. This would be for work like farming, construction or work in a factory.

That would be higher than minimum wage, unless they worked 30 days a month.  Min wages in Chang mai is 305B a day and a farmer usually only pays 180B day if not lower.  Typically a factory worker will work 6 days a week 10-12hr day  305*26 days = 7,900B.  Min wage went up around 2011/ 2012 from 200B to 300B.

8 hours ago, ericthai said:

Not true the labor board is very strong and leans on the side of the employee, had to deal with them a few times.  However small Thai companies get away with allot as the employees are mostly unaware of their rights / laws or intimated by the employer.

What are you on about?
The categories listed in the report that was the subject of the OP do not consider the jobs of many of the  usually encountered working Thai people.
There are no listings for waiters, doctors, nurses, taxi drivers, etc., etc., etc. (Thanks Yul Brynner).
I do not know why you are dragging labor boards in on a simple observation  of what the salary guide does or does not cover. 

Adecco is a recruitment agency that makes money on commission from finding workers for employers.

So it won't cover farm labourers, waitresses, taxi drivers etc as mentioned above, as these low paying positions don't usually use recruitment agencies like Adecco. Generally most unskilled labour won't be in the survey, even though a large proportion of the population does these jobs