Koh Tao Police want 45kBt to let mates son go (Contiued from recent Thread)

Dave67

42 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Bad advice. This is Thailand, the law is whatever the officer says it is at the time. Hiring a lawyer is a bad move, it will end up costing the OP`s friend much more eventually.

The guy`s an idiot anyway, have no sympathy whatsoever. Better he pay the 45K extortion money and then run for the hills considering himself lucky he did not receive a long prison sentence.

Nobody goes to jail for little cannabis. Why talking about what you do not know ? MILLIONS of people smoke week in Thailand yearly, I even found some doing it on Sukhumvit in Bangkok !

Stupid foreigners still fail to understand that once caught up in the Thai legal processes, they then become ripe for extortion under the corrupt system. If it involved a poor Thai, the Thai would probably get off with a 500 baht fine and a slap on the wrist, but when foreigners are involved, especially westerners then the sky`s the limit. Forget about what the law says; as foreigners don`t have any statutory rights in Thailand. The police can hold a person for as long as they wish and make financial demands as they feel fit to do so. Even if deciding to fight a case with lawyers who are all in collaboration with the police and public prosecutors, a case can still drag on for years in Thailand, costing a fortune in lawyers fees and back hander payments and at the end of it all there won`t be any repercussions to the police.

Don`t be stupid, keep legally clean in Thailand, otherwise face the consequences. Don`t believe, then good luck.

For some reason my avatar has done a runner. Have to check it out.

Edited by cyberfarang

5 hours ago, helloagain said:

Ive never touched a drug in my life

That's nice for you. I'll sleep better at night knowing that.

Op, if he's skint and not beside himself, tell him to tell the cops that he'd rather stay there as he's only going to be deported anyway and loves Thailand. If struggling, as above, negotiate to 20k on the basis of being skintish. 

8 hours ago, helloagain said:

Taking drugs. He asked for it and got it. Ive never touched a drug in my life

Well, bully for you!!   Is it safe to assume you include alcohol and nicotine, as they are drugs also?  If so, well done, my hero!

Edited by alfalfa19