Four Nigerians arrested for alleged romance scams

webfact

Four Nigerians arrested for alleged romance scams

NI.jpg

Immigration police have arrested four Nigerians for overstaying tourist visas and charged them with being involved in a criminal network conducting romance scams.

The arrest was announced yesterday at a press conference at the Immigration Bureau at 11.30am.

Immigration police chief Pol Lt-General Sutthipong Wongpin identified the four suspects as Egbain Andrew, Onwuemeru Elvis, Uchechukwu Benjamin Ejimadu and Ahamefula Chibuike Kali.

They were arrested after police received complaints from Thai women that they had been duped to transfer money to the accounts of “con artists”.

Sutthipong said the four used photos of handsome white men on their Facebook profiles and approached Thai women online to engage in romantically themed chats.

As the relationships progressed, the men allegedly told the victims they had sent them expensive gifts, but the women would have to pay for the items to clear Customs. A Thai woman the called the victims, allegedly pretending to be an official at a logistics firm, and gave an account number to which the women could transfer money.

Sutthipong said police had not arrested any Thai accomplices.

He added that the four had overstayed their tourist visas by three to eight years.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30330654

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-02

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I think immigration need to find a better system of detecting overstay !

Overstay..3 to 8 years..<deleted>...What we're the Immigration Police doing???? Lining their pockets,until an official complaint was made regarding their activities.

Their not exactly needle in the haystack material..it's not a better system that's required...It's a SYSTEM!!!! They obviously had nothing,until the women made a complaint.If they couldn't detect these four in a week in Thailand,what chance have they got of finding real criminals..the mind boggles!!! T.I.T.

Many Asian female victims of this scam never come forward to attempt to press charges, and when they do, they're usually still convinced the white guy in the pictures is the crook.   

Cracking down on overstays and visa irregularities will clean up some of this problem, as well as others.

These Nigerians are treating the Thai immigration as fools for they could easily overstayed for 3 to 5 years living off the money from stupid women looking for romance. Well, they are continue coming in everyday.

24 minutes ago, chippendale said:

More quality Nigerians. Lock 'em in chains and load 'em onto the next boat to Africa.

yeah!!!!!!!!

they only want to disrespect anyone who helps them

they will never help anyone

if you help in nigeria you will be seen as a weak fool idiot mentally challenged retard

they will be in thailand talking like they are better than thai people

In Thailand these scammers are able to be 'spotted' by 'racial profiling' and I may add that they are having a 'helluva success'........

In the USA we can't catch but a small percentage of them since we can't 'racial profile'....... 'Black lives matter' and NAACP and NFL prevent us from 'catching' as many as they can catch in Thailand, not having those handicaps............

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Note to immigration :

What is the point of 90 day reporting when criminals don't bother to go ? Surely an 8 year overstay is clearly showing you that anyone wanting to overstay just wont turn up ! 

Why would they need to do 90 day reporting on a tourist visa?

They are on overstay, they knew what they were doing and broke the laws anyway. 

And before we start throwing stones in the greenhouse (this is not directly at you Richard) with reference to their (Thai) immigration system being flawed, think back to your home countries where ever they may be and guess how many illegal immigrants are residing there right at this moment. I will guarantee it will be a lot! 

Without being racist and banning all black Africans, (the typical image of 'Nigerian scams'), allowing entry with valid visas will continue. Same applies to any other criminal with a visa, if they decide to break the law and go on overstay, they will do it fairly easily unless they are targeted because of complaints as these four were.

And just for clarity, I would fully endorse any foreigner caught carrying out fraudulent crimes like this serve their time and then be deported with a lifetime ban if I had the authority to do it.

About a year and half ago, GF's mother was falling for one of these scams. GF showed me a picture of the "farang" that was enamored with her mom. The pic was of a US Air Force General! I told her to tell her mom to immediately STOP all communication as it was a scam. She explained to her mother what was going on...and her mom got mad at us! 555 :clap2:

i find it amusing, if a scot spends half his life in prison, dealt drugs and stole in Thailand, there is a film made about his life and he gets praise on the post "The gruesome story of a Brit who boxed his way out of a hellhole Thai prison – and is now having a film made about his life " from the majority posters.

if a Nigerian scams a Thai lady he should be made into fertilizer, dog food or chained and sent home.

For a lot of posters on TV, being black is a crime

11 hours ago, webfact said:

used photos of handsome white men on their Facebook profiles and approached Thai women online to engage in romantically themed chats.

Now that they have caught these Nigerian gentlemen, I hope this puts an end to them using my photo, its causing all sorts of problems.

6 hours ago, greatwhitenorth said:

i find it amusing, if a scot spends half his life in prison, dealt drugs and stole in Thailand, there is a film made about his life and he gets praise on the post "The gruesome story of a Brit who boxed his way out of a hellhole Thai prison – and is now having a film made about his life " from the majority posters.

if a Nigerian scams a Thai lady he should be made into fertilizer, dog food or chained and sent home.

For a lot of posters on TV, being black is a crime

You didn't read the comments?

2-3 gave him support, the rest posted disliked comments