The time when America stopped being great

webfact

The time when America stopped being great

By Nick Bryant BBC News, New York

A year ago Donald Trump produced the biggest political upset in modern day USA, but were there historical clues that pointed to his unexpected victory?

Flying into Los Angeles, a descent that takes you from the desert, over the mountains, to the outer suburbs dotted with swimming pools shaped like kidneys, always brings on a near narcotic surge of nostalgia.

This was the flight path I followed more than 30 years ago, as I fulfilled a boyhood dream to make my first trip to the United States. America had always fired my imagination, both as a place and as an idea. So as I entered the immigration hall, under the winsome smile of America's movie star president, it was hardly a case of love at first sight.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41826022

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2017-11-03

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good read and it is not wrong to say that USA is becoming less relevant. The development of third world countries in Asia and Africa is mostly supported by the Chinese. USA has turned inwards when it needs to look outwards.

I can't be doing with a good number of foreign policy decisions, but the United States is still a great, great civilisation. American-style food I like, American authors and musicians are among my favourites and American thinkers are second to none. It might not be quite where it used to be but which western country is?

Despite trials and tribulations, Americans still have a lot to celebrate.

As an American I can say that this guy has it wrong. The 80's were simply America's last hurrah during its inevitable decline. I was as taken in by "Morning in America" as much as the next guy, but hindsight shows me what it really was...blowing America's last chance to clean up our wasteful habits that have lead inexorably to its decline.  It was that one last party because reality was too painful.

What we have today is a direct reflection of the poor choices we made then. The appropriate tech movement of the 70's could have been continued. The wasted resources could have been spent to rebuild an infrastructure that would survive in a slow to no growth economy. We could have implemented "the sufficiency economy" and set an example for the world. We didn't, and today we reap what we sewed back then.

The USA is on a slow arch of decline just like every empire before it and everyone that will come in the future.  The only question remaining is what we are going to try and preserve for the dark age that will surely be here in a few hundred years.

1 hour ago, baboon said:

I can't be doing with a good number of foreign policy decisions, but the United States is still a great, great civilisation. American-style food I like, American authors and musicians are among my favourites and American thinkers are second to none. It might not be quite where it used to be but which western country is?

Totally agree. My experiences too.

If you look at what America has given to the world - in the fields of science, literature, entertainment, academia, education, sport, etc etc; in such a short existence as a nation, it's incomparable.

Sure, it has it's problems, as all nations do. But it's still a great civilization and probably still the greatest country in the world at this moment in time. And America and Americans are open to criticism and comment, unlike many others.

5 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Totally agree. My experiences too.

If you look at what America has given to the world - in the fields of science, literature, entertainment, academia, education, sport, etc etc; in such a short existence as a nation, it's incomparable.

Sure, it has it's problems, as all nations do. But it's still a great civilization and probably still the greatest country in the world at this moment in time. And America and Americans are open to criticism and comment, unlike many others.

Please don't forget that most great inventors of IT systems and above the norm workers are imported into the States. It is the foreign workforce which keeps USA great not the homegrown talent.

47 minutes ago, jobwolf said:

Please don't forget that most great inventors of IT systems and above the norm workers are imported into the States. It is the foreign workforce which keeps USA great not the homegrown talent.

I think a majority of the workforce have foreign roots anyway.  And now, are homegrown.  IMHO, that's what makes America great.

When the US decided to become the 'world's policeman' - but only when it suited their 'interests'.

Additionally,  when American citizens started believing their own propaganda.  e.g. US secret service plots to overthrow/destroy/attack unfriendly foreign govts entirely OK - whereas attacks on the US in any way, shape or form is entirely different....

Edited by dick dasterdly

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

When the US decided to become the 'world's policeman' - but only when it suited their 'interests'.

Additionally,  when American citizens started believing their own propaganda.  e.g. US secret service plots to overthrow/destroy/attack unfriendly foreign govts entirely OK - whereas attacks on the US in any way, shape or form is entirely different....

What country doesn't do things primarily when it suits their interests? US secret service plots to overthrow governments?  Talk about propaganda.  You believe that?

The US Secret Service's main job is protection for the president. LOL.

You watch too many movies.

12 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

As an American I'd take less than great if my taxes were lower. Bring our troops home.

I'm not sure if it happens soon. Seems it is just the beginning after 15 years. ?

Trump is getting ready to press button of a big war. 

Beautiful years were over when Bush (17 years ago) became president. And

"dark age"  Has begun by Trump presidency. 

Just now, craigt3365 said:

What country doesn't do things primarily when it suits their interests? US secret service plots to overthrow governments?  Talk about propaganda.  You believe that?

deleted.

Really can't be bothered with those that deluded.

40 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

You watch too many movies.US secret service plots to overthrow governments?  Talk about propaganda.  You believe
 that?

Who's trolling now? Even you can't pretend the magnificent seven

examples didn't actually happen.

foreignpolicy.com/2013/08/20/mapped-the-7-governments-the-u-s-has-overthrown/

(But I bet you will anyway!).

Edited by Krataiboy

53 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

The U.S. backed the assassination of Ngô Đình Diệm, president of South Vietnam, in November 1963. The entire Japanese Diet was on a CIA payroll from 1950–70. The U.S. was influential in fomenting civil unrest in Ukraine in 2014. This led to the Russian reaction in Crimea and eastern Ukraine. Rickards

2 hours ago, jobwolf said:

I think you'll find most Americans come from immigrants for Europe, Asia, Africa and South America over the last 2-300 years. 

Not sure how many were / are actually homegrown native Americans.

As to IT - the real talent lies in creating the business organizations to service the markets - including hiring and developing people. 

Bonner:

When President Wilson went to war with Germany for no apparent reason other than his personal glory?

When President Truman committed the worst wartime atrocity in history: bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki, intentionally killing 130,000 civilians in less than three days?

When the U.S. Army massacred 160 Arapaho and Cheyenne Indians (mostly women and children) at Sand Creek in 1864… or when Lieutenant Calley led a slaughter of 500 at Mỹ Lai in 1968?

4 hours ago, baboon said:

American thinkers???????????????????????????????

46 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Who's trolling now? Even you can't pretend the magnificent seven

examples didn't actually happen.

foreignpolicy.com/2013/08/20/mapped-the-7-governments-the-u-s-has-overthrown/

(But I bet you will anyway!).

And that was done by the secret service?  Who's trolling now....

That list isn't accurate....but yes, like most other powerful nations in the world, interference in other's politics happens.  Whether recently or in the recent past.

40 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

The U.S. backed the assassination of Ngô Đình Diệm, president of South Vietnam, in November 1963. The entire Japanese Diet was on a CIA payroll from 1950–70. The U.S. was influential in fomenting civil unrest in Ukraine in 2014. This led to the Russian reaction in Crimea and eastern Ukraine. Rickards

And Russia wasn't influential in formenting civil unrest in Ukraine?  Be honest.....

3 hours ago, Monomial said:

As an American I can say that this guy has it wrong. The 80's were simply America's last hurrah during its inevitable decline. I was as taken in by "Morning in America" as much as the next guy, but hindsight shows me what it really was...blowing America's last chance to clean up our wasteful habits that have lead inexorably to its decline.  It was that one last party because reality was too painful.

What we have today is a direct reflection of the poor choices we made then. The appropriate tech movement of the 70's could have been continued. The wasted resources could have been spent to rebuild an infrastructure that would survive in a slow to no growth economy. We could have implemented "the sufficiency economy" and set an example for the world. We didn't, and today we reap what we sewed back then.

The USA is on a slow arch of decline just like every empire before it and everyone that will come in the future.  The only question remaining is what we are going to try and preserve for the dark age that will surely be here in a few hundred years.

One word comes to mind...............decadence.

4 minutes ago, car720 said:

American thinkers???????????????????????????????

As has been pointed out here, the US, like many other large nations, has contributed a lot to our global society.  Including this technology which you use to bash the US. LOL