Non-O conversion: Alternate Proof of Residence

have you or your friend already registered you at this address, using the TM-30 form? If not, I would immediately do it before anything else.

If the two of you had missed it previously, you can expect a fine for not complying with the requirement to register at an address within 24 hours of arrival.

For registering with a filled out TM-30, you will need something like a rental contract or a written statement of your friend in both Thai & English that you live in his house for free (be aware if he "rents" it out to you for money, he is probably violating tax laws)

Next then is your application for a conversion from a SETV to a Non-Imm-O  . . . . . so be courteous and friendly, pay the fine, look fit to kill (clean dress & sober) and come in good manners

Edited by crazygreg44

At Bangkok immigration, the TM30 notification will actually not be an issue.

A simple letter (in English is fine) where your friend confirms you are staying with him, combined with your friend's identification and proof of house ownership or long term lease will do in lieu of a lease agreement of your own.

(Just as an aside, does your friend really own the house, or just have a long term lease on both the house and land? If he owns the house, but not the land, he needs to be careful. Thai law does not offer him full protection if the land is sold. It is unlikely your farang friend owns both the house and the land unless he has Thai citizenship. He may own the land through a nominally Thai company, but that is subject to legal challenges.)

Edited by BritTim

If your friend does own the house he should have a blue Tabien Baan (house book) although his name won't appear in the book, but he may also have obtained a Yellow house book in which he is named.

His passport, Tabien Baan and deeds of ownership are sufficient.

Ok... Great!  That sounds straightforward. Thanks so much for your help everyone.

I'm not sure on the details of his ownership but will check it out.

I'm assuming you mean I will present copies of his house book, deed, and ID, rather than originals?

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I went yesterday to apply for the conversion. The I/O returned all of my housing documentation and didn't seem to care about the letter, tm30, deed, house book, etc. I did need a copy of the income verification affidavit from the US Embassy; she kept the original and certified the copy to use when I apply for the extension of stay. I was given a receipt and return with it in 15 days (which is the day my current SETV expires), when I suspect I will get my non-O.

I arrived at CW at 1:45pm and made my pp copies, my queue number was stamped 2pm, and I saw the I/O about five minutes later; got sent to make the copy of the income affidavit; and was finished and waiting for the bus at 2;45pm.  Couldn't imagine it being any easier. After spending hours in queues to extend my SETVs throughout the year, this was painless.

I kind of wish I had gotten someone to sign my TM30 (I'd prepared the power of attorney form) so I'd be ready if it was needed later. But when I had checked at the question booth in the entry area, the IO had laughed about the TM30 and said I didn't need it.

I've been reading about the non-O and retirement extension process and am confused... I thought it was going to be for 90 days, but saw 60 days mentioned. Also wondering how early I can apply for the extension at Chang Wanttana... I've seen 30-45 days before expiry mentioned, but also perhaps earlier if I show a letter and plane ticket?

18 minutes ago, CyclingLight said:

But when I had checked at the question booth in the entry area, the IO had laughed about the TM30 and said I didn't need it.

That is the policy at Chaeng Wattana. It has been reported many times.

19 minutes ago, CyclingLight said:

I've been reading about the non-O and retirement extension process and am confused... I thought it was going to be for 90 days, but saw 60 days mentioned. Also wondering how early I can apply for the extension at Chang Wanttana... I've seen 30-45 days before expiry mentioned, but also perhaps earlier if I show a letter and plane ticket?

You will get a 90 day entry stamp that will start on the date you applied for the visa.

You can apply for the extension during the last 45 days of the 90 days.

• Thanks 1