Gunman opens fire at Texas church, killing at least 20

webfact

3 hours ago, JCauto said:

So do tell us when is? Problem is that your compatriots can't resist slaughtering a bunch of people every couple of weeks or so, leaves very little window to chat, eh?

When there has not just been a mass shooting.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, notmyself said:

When there has not just been a mass shooting.

Like I said, if you say "we need a month to chill out then talk about it" then it will never occur because there will always be another one. 

Let me ask you. Why haven't you and your ilk ever said "right, now is the time, let's talk about it." You know the answer already of course, you have no intention of talking about it. Other people dying doesn't bother you at all so long as you can pretend to be Dirty Harry.

16 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

You and I know different people with different views and mine probably outnumber yours 10-1. Some posters on this forum think they are experts and have all the answers to prevent violence in the USA.     The English claim restricted gun ownership laws in their home country reduce violence. Maybe they should also put restrictions on licensed drivers, to prevent future pedestrian deaths by extremists.    The Aussies think their government's gun buy-back program helps prevent crime. I ask this question.    How many criminals turned their guns in?    Until the technology is invented that can instantly diagnose and reveal someone's mental state, emotional unbalance and criminal intent, acts against humanity cannot be prevented or eliminated, in any country, by any law or any restriction.   

You write this crap as if you expect to see immediate results. GROW UP.

It takes years if not generations for the control measures to work. About time the "worlds police" came to grips with THEIR problem.

Nation To Wait For More Facts On Texas Shooting Before Doing Absolutely Nothing About It

WASHINGTON—In the wake of a shooting in Sutherland Springs, TX that left at least 26 people dead and 20 wounded, the nation declared its intent Monday to wait for more facts on the mass slaughter before doing absolutely nothing about it. “We don’t want to jump to conclusions and get the facts wrong before we start ignoring it completely,” said Enid, OK resident Roger Benson, echoing the sentiments of 324 million other Americans who added they weren’t willing to do nothing whatsoever to address the country’s mass shooting epidemic until they learned more about the killer, including his possible connection to the church and his mental health background.

https://www.theonion.com/nation-to-wait-for-more-facts-on-texas-shooting-before-1820186609

11 hours ago, Credo said:

Here some info on how he obtained the gun:

Kelley reportedly bought a Ruger AR-556 rifle in April of 2016 from an Academy Sports & Outdoors store in San Antonio, according to officials. When filling out the background paperwork for that weapon, the future mass-shooter ticked a box indicating that he did not have a disqualifying criminal history, and he filled an a Colorado Springs, Colorado address when asked where he lived.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/devin-kelly-texas-shooting-gun-licence-carry-firearm-latest-news-updates-a8040331.html

So, apparently you just tick the box that says you have no criminal history!   About as effective as asking "Have you quit beating your wife?"

Apparently the Air Force failed to enter his name in the federal database after his summary court martial for domestic assault (cracking his stepson's skull). 

His name in the database would have prevented his purchase of assault rifle used in the shooting. It looks like the Air Force did not realize that domestic assault requires tagging as "normal" assault does not.

TH

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/06/us/texas-shooting-church.html?action=click&contentCollection=Opinion&module=Trending&version=Full&region=Marginalia&pgtype=article

On the subject of the neighbor that shot the guy and then chance with another person after he drove away. His action did not prevent the killings or even stop his attack. The neighbor heard the shots and went and got his rifle then waited for the attacker to finish in the church and come out.

This is not meant to demean the two neighbor's actions, but it is not true the stopped the attack. They did prevent him from getting away unharmed and likely prompted the suicide.

On the subject of gun control in general, one reason there is such wide ranging views on the effectiveness of any laws is that federal government agencies are forbidden to conduct any studies of anything having to do with gun ownership and its public health impact. The Gun Lobby is adamant that no such studies will ever be conducted.

TH 

11 hours ago, Ruffian Dick said:

I don't think the 2nd amendment was written to make sure frontiersmen could have muskets for hunting or defending themselves from Indian assault.

An important section of this amendment refers to the militia; I think that the citizen's militia was considered to be an important protector of democracy. I don't think we can today trust a random assortment of Americans with assault rifles to defend democracy. Rifles aren't any good against tanks anyway.

gun-cartoon-morin.jpg.e99d1e764985af09947a321b718b7adb.jpg

On 11/6/2017 at 11:16 AM, FritsSikkink said:

They will never learn, nobody needs an assault weapon. Luckily they have truck loads of thought and prayers. Actually doing something about it is a bridge too far.

I have said a few times a logical solution would be to require mandatory insurance for anyone possessing a deadly weapon. When insurance money is involved just like a car, I am sure such nuts will not be able to possess weapons. 

True, criminals don't pay attention to laws, but when they cannot buy a weapon and when a person would risk losing their insurance by loaning a weapon it may be tough

I have said a few times a logical solution would be to require mandatory insurance for anyone possessing a deadly weapon. When insurance money is involved just like a car, I am sure such nuts will not be able to possess weapons. 

True, criminals don't pay attention to laws, but when they cannot buy a weapon and when a person would risk losing their insurance by loaning a weapon it may be tough

This is ridiculous. Uninsured drivers are a huge problem in the US. They sign up for insurance to register cars pay one month then stop payments and drive uninsured. Low income people in the US who drive crap cars don't care about carrying insurance. Ask me about the one who caused an accident drunk and totaled my car! You can sue them but it is a waste of lawyer fees if they have no assets. Maybe we should recreate debtor prisons.

If they do seriously injure or kill somebody through negligence they will jailed but the victims never get monetary compensation.

Gums are available on the black market everywhere in the US crimimals will mever bother with insurances.

14 hours ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Surprising to see so many here rushing to politicize this event. The NRA have been totally vindicated here, the only thing that stopped this bad guy with a gun, was a good guy with a gun. Had the good guys guns all been taken away this bad guy would have had a leisurely shoot'em'up instead of being attacked and scared off mid-spree by an heroic armed bystander. If the Americans are not very careful they will end up in the nightmare scenario that Europeans have ended up in - unable to protect themselves and being attacked by bad guys with guns, knives, bombs and vehicles with no hope for safety for themselves and family members in sight which resulted in a terrified population.

Because you for instance would never rush to politicize a terrorist incident. Others might sink that low, but not you. You're an inspiration to fair-minded people everywhere.

Edited by ilostmypassword

2 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

This is ridiculous. Uninsured drivers are a huge problem in the US. They sign up for insurance to register cars pay one month then stop payments and drive uninsured. Low income people in the US who drive crap cars don't care about carrying insurance. Ask me about the one who caused an accident drunk and totaled my car! You can sue them but it is a waste of lawyer fees if they have no assets. Maybe we should recreate debtor prisons.

If they do seriously injure or kill somebody through negligence they will jailed but the victims never get monetary compensation.

Gums are available on the black market everywhere in the US crimimals will mever bother with insurances.

Your solution is?

The Texas church gunman escaped from a mental health facility in 2012 and threatened his Air Force superiors, a police report shows

The gunman who killed 26 people in a rural Texas church on Sunday escaped from a psychiatric hospital while he was in the Air Force, after making death threats against his superiors and trying to smuggle weapons onto the base where he was stationed, a 2012 police report shows.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/us/texas-shooting-church.html?emc=edit_na_20171107&nl=breaking-news&nlid=76310506&ref=cta

Is that Kyle Lierman who served as a Senior Associate Director of Public Engagement and Senior Policy Advisor in the White House Office of Public Engagement  for President Obama?  Wonder why he didn"t do something about it when he held the office.  Sandy Hook, Americas problems didn 't start in Jan of this year.

3 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

Is that Kyle Lierman who served as a Senior Associate Director of Public Engagement and Senior Policy Advisor in the White House Office of Public Engagement  for President Obama?  Wonder why he didn"t do something about it when he held the office.  Sandy Hook, Americas problems didn 't start in Jan of this year.

Republicans took over the house of representatives in 2010. 

19 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

Is that the Kyle Lierman who served as a Senior Associate Director of Public Engagement and Senior Policy Advisor in the White House Office of Public Engagement  for President Obama?

I wonder why he was  so ineffective in changing policy when he was on the governing side?  A big important thinker like that.  Obviously it is easier to be a critic than to do something

Blocked by republicans. They won’t even allow for studies, let alone any practical change:

2 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

Blocked by republicans. They won’t even allow for studies, let alone any practical change:

The tweet is dated today. Kyle Lierman became irrelevant in 2010 by your own admission. An elected Democrat doesn t have much choice but blame the Republicans. It makes nice filler and raises your post count, but do you really feel it adds anything to the discussion?

20 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

You wonder why he "didn't do something about it"....????  Were you just born yesterday?  Neither this guy nor a handful of senators nor the President has the power to "do something about it."  The NRA owns the US Congress.  There are no gun bills going through without the approval of the NRA.

So it doesn 't matter if the Democrats are in power or if the Republicans are in power. America as a nation does not demand gun control from it's elected officials because it doesn 't want  it.  If it where as important as same sex marriage or legalised marijuana the political will for change would have made it happen

11 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

The tweet is dated today. Kyle Lierman became irrelevant in 2010 by your own admission. An elected Democrat doesn t have much choice but blame the Republicans. It makes nice filler and raises your post count, but do you really feel it adds anything to the discussion?

More than a decade ago most republicans and some democrats, under pressure from the gun lobby, block funds to the CDC to even study gun violence.

Until the pernicious influence of the gun lobby can be contained, there will not be enough votes to change policy.

as to post counts, my post count is an average of less than one a day. Yours is almost ten a day.

1 hour ago, Thakkar said:

Americans are just over 4% world pop'n-but own over 40% of world's guns. Yemen, site of violent war, #2 per capita.

(from above Nyt article)

Yemen used to have the lowest crime figures in the world. Not zero but not far off it.

Your solution is?

More guns. 

Take the handcuffs off law enforcement. Arm teachers. Criminals and miscreants should know if they misbehave in public the reponse will be sudden, brutal, and may come from anywhere, even the "old lady in the church". National "stand your ground" law and universal open carry. Ban "gun free zones". Government sponsored firearms safety courses and active shooter training in public schools starting at an early age. Perhaps a subsidized purchase program. This can be organized through boy/girl scouts, Junior ROTC, and volunteer groups. I'd say if you are old enough to drive a car you should be allowed to protect yourself and your family. An armed society is a polite society.