Sorry! This item does not ship to Thailand

connda

Other than buying Kindle books or paper back novels from Amazon, I've pretty much given up attempting to buy anything from that company.  Conservatively I'd say that over 90% of what I'm interested in buying from Amazon, from small appliances to electronics, to vitamins, to various media, to even clothes presents me with the same, irritating message: Sorry.  This item does not ship to Thailand.  I guess when you have a multi-billion dollar company you get to make the rules.  I find it ironic in this day and age of globalization, when the products I want are probably manufactured in China <or maybe even Thailand>, exported back to the US, and then the companies in the US refuse to export them back to Asia.....how interesting?  And utterly confusing.
Of course, there is AliExpress, and other online companies here in SE Asia, but it seem that the products that I want to buy are either not available, or are not the manufacturer or brand that I want, or don't have a reasonable warranty <no doubt there is a reason for that that has to do with quality issues>, or are simply cheap junk or manufacturing seconds not worthy for export to a first world country.  It's frustrating.  One of the reasons I want the US products, even if they were made in China, is that there seems to be two different levels of manufacturing quality: higher quality items are exported to Western countries, and the absolutely inferior junk comes to Thailand, and no doubt other Asian countries too.
For example: in the ten years I've lived here, I probably have bought and thrown away 20 to 30 extension cords/surge protectors with multiple jacks that can be turned off and on. I can go through two to four of these a year before they break. Generally the switches will break within a matter of months, and once the switch breaks it's a fire hazard.  The last one I bought catch fire and started burn last week.  Glad I was at home and in the room.  I don't feel like burning down my home because Thailand can't regulate and rate their consumer electronics, so much of which is plain junk. Oh, then there is the shock hazard.  Needless to say I've been shocked by more than one molded-plactic death traps.  Five years ago we pulled out all the wiring in our home and replaced the quality home wiring with high quality, grounded breakers.  So when your piece of junk electronic extension shorts out and you become the path of least resistance to ground, even when your cord is grounded...... <bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, the twitchy electric shock dance, ozone smell>.
So, how about buying one from Amazon with an Underwriters Labs (UL) rating.  Just for the heck of it I looked for the first extension cord/surge protector I could find - "AmazonBasics 6-Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip, 790 Joule - White" which is immediately followed by "This item does not ship to Thailand. Looks up a bunch more while I was at it.  None ship to Thailand.  Again, other than books, there isn't a whole lot I've been able to purchase for Amazon.  How about Lazada, AliExpress?  Generally what I'm looking for I can't find.  How about Amazon Internation!  Never can find what I'm looking for.
So much for global commerce in our brave new global world.  It wouldn't be so bad if we had the product selection, the quality, and the safety underwriting to choose from here in Thailand or from the local online outlets selling in Thailand, but we don't. Then I can't fathom why a corporation such as Amazon refuses to truly ship internationally.  I really don't understand.  Does anybody else have a clue?  Are they that afraid that some enterprising young Thai electrical engineer will reverse engineer their items?  :mellow:  

14 minutes ago, connda said:

Sorry.  This item does not ship to Thailand.  I guess when you have a multi-billion dollar company you get to make the rules.

Except that Amazon isn't selling all the stuff to you.  They generally do ship the stuff they sell to Thailand.  I've bought lots of stuff from Amazon and they shipped it to me in Bangkok.

But Amazon also serves as a portal for thousands of small (and big) companies to sell their goods directly to consumers.  And a lot of them have neither the resources nor the desire to ship all over the world, especially to places that have as bad a reputation for scam payments and lost parcels as Thailand has.

Can't say I blame them as time consuming as it is to track a lost shipment and as catastrophic as it can be to a small company to see their profits go down the toilet with scam credit card payments and lost shipments. If you don't have teams of people dedicated to issues like those, it's best to just avoid them up front.

Amazon isn't making those rules.  They're allowing their sellers to decide.

Edited by impulse

16 minutes ago, connda said:

Then I can't fathom why a corporation such as Amazon refuses to truly ship internationally.  I really don't understand

Amazon is not refusing to ship overseas, the vendors that you unfortunately are picking are refusing to sell overseas because they don't want to have to deal with foreign customs and returns from overseas.  I personally find Amazon's overseas shipping rates to be outrageous and can do better via a third party

This is why most of us who do our shopping overseas use a US based re-mailer that will forward packages to you at an overseas address,  Most retailers like to use the private shippers (UPS, FEDEX, etc.) because they can get deals based upon the amount they ship, plus the private shippers do all the administrative work, so the business can sell products, not deal with shipping problems

Edited by Langsuan Man

you just gotta click on a bunch until you get one that will ship.

oh, just noticed, on the left side of the results page, you can

click this box!

Refine by

International Shipping (What's this?)

• Ship to Thailand

i entered "6-Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip,"  clicked on the

very first one which states

Price:

$11.50

In Stock.

This item ships to Thailand. Want it Thursday, Nov. 9? Order within 12 hrs 12 mins and choose AmazonGlobal Priority Shipping at checkout. Learn more

Ships from and sold by Amazon.com in easy-to-open packaging. Gift-wrap available.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-6-Outlet-Surge-Protector-2-Pack/dp/B014EKQ5AA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1509952494&sr=8-3&keywords=6-Outlet+Surge+Protector+Power+Strip&dpID=41%2BhNvQA5gL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Just limit the searches to those that ship to Thailand.

Personally I only really want to buy items which are sold directly by Amazon, otherwise you don't know who you're dealing with.

Also Amazon pre negotiate all customs and duty charges including the all important agent who handles these so you don't have to do anything once goods arrive.

There are many things one cannot get in Thailand. It is part of living in Asia or a foreign country. Live with it! Enjoy the palm tress and sunshine. 

Smacks of entitlement to think that all things are available everywhere.

Personally I only really want to buy items which are sold directly by Amazon, otherwise you don't know who you're dealing with.

Also Amazon pre negotiate all customs and duty charges including the all important agent who handles these so you don't have to do anything once goods arrive.
Yes, but Amazon does know who they are dealing with and Amazon is responsible to you as an Amazon customer whether they supply the item themselves or through a third party vendor who belongs to Amazon Marketplace whose bad service would get them quickly kicked out by Amazon. Hence I never care and I've never had a bad experience from an Amazon marketplace supplier. They also have ratings you can look at.

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

There are many things one cannot get in Thailand. It is part of living in Asia or a foreign country. Live with it! Enjoy the palm tress and sunshine. 

There's nothing you can't if you want it, you just have to be prepared to pay the fee.

I once ordered a particular type of cheese grater from the US via Amazon, it was a little pricey but it's very good and I use it all the time even after all these years.

Many companies have rules regarding distribution rights regarding where their customer base is. Fender, Gibson, etc come to mind (I like guitars). They (perhaps rightfully) want to protect their distribution chain in Thailand. Typically same models cost around 50% more here, due to VAT, import duties, etc than in USA, and also often have only 1 year warranty instead of lifetime.

Short form: don't blame Amazon

I think people that need to constantly order stuff from the USA or elsewhere and then complain about not getting it or can't get it should just make a trip once a year with a couple empty suitcases and come back with full ones.  Why do so many of you guys need so much crap all the time!  I've never needed to order anything and I do go back home once or twice a year and come back with a couple bottles of booze and a piece or two of cheese. Maybe I should rent out 1/2 of my suitcases to you needy dudes. Does retirement constantly bore some people and they just sit around and think of junk they want? Sounds boring. 

15 hours ago, ukrules said:

There's nothing you can't if you want it, you just have to be prepared to pay the fee.

I once ordered a particular type of cheese grater from the US via Amazon, it was a little pricey but it's very good and I use it all the time even after all these years.

"I once ordered a particular type of cheese grater from the US via Amazon, it was a little pricey but it's very good and I use it all the time even after all these years."

And I thought it was a hardback edition of "Online Shopping" in Braille

20 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

And please don't order 110V electric kettles from the US :biggrin: (real stories)

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

I think people that need to constantly order stuff from the USA or elsewhere and then complain about not getting it or can't get it should just make a trip once a year with a couple empty suitcases and come back with full ones.  Why do so many of you guys need so much crap all the time!  I've never needed to order anything and I do go back home once or twice a year and come back with a couple bottles of booze and a piece or two of cheese. Maybe I should rent out 1/2 of my suitcases to you needy dudes. Does retirement constantly bore some people and they just sit around and think of junk they want? Sounds boring. 

Its about getting quality stuff, that is why i buy from Europe or the US and getting it cheaper than in Thailand. I certainly am not retired and still buy loads of stuff. 

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Its about getting quality stuff, that is why i buy from Europe or the US and getting it cheaper than in Thailand. I certainly am not retired and still buy loads of stuff. 

I would replace the word stuff with unneeded crap. I guess I must have everything but honestly I just can't imagine needing so much  " stuff" that I would need " loads " of it. Ever watch the show hoarders?!  There is without doubt some people who have an addiction and may not know it. They just think they need stuff and buy it. I have mass consumer friends back home that to me it seems they dream up something they think they need and love getting gifts in the mail. 

1 minute ago, alex8912 said:

I would replace the word stuff with unneeded crap. I guess I must have everything but honestly I just can't imagine needing so much  " stuff" that I would need " loads " of it. Ever watch the show hoarders?!  There is without doubt some people who have an addiction and may not know it. They just think they need stuff and buy it. I have mass consumer friends back home that to me it seems they dream up something they think they need and love getting gifts in the mail. 

That is your opinion, i can garantee you that the fitness equipment and the fishing equipment bought abroad is well used en certainly not unused. Same goes for fish-oil that i order in the US because it cheaper there than here. I wonder how you can judge what others buy unneeded crap. What people buys varies per person and for sure there are hoarders but not everyone is a hoarder. 

On 06/11/2017 at 1:27 PM, impulse said:

Except that Amazon isn't selling all the stuff to you.  They generally do ship the stuff they sell to Thailand.  I've bought lots of stuff from Amazon and they shipped it to me in Bangkok.

But Amazon also serves as a portal for thousands of small (and big) companies to sell their goods directly to consumers.  And a lot of them have neither the resources nor the desire to ship all over the world, especially to places that have as bad a reputation for scam payments and lost parcels as Thailand has.

Can't say I blame them as time consuming as it is to track a lost shipment and as catastrophic as it can be to a small company to see their profits go down the toilet with scam credit card payments and lost shipments. If you don't have teams of people dedicated to issues like those, it's best to just avoid them up front.

I have bought Kindle charging leads etc on Lazada cheap as chips and work absolutely fine. You can buy kindles on there too!! 

I buy a lot of stuff on Amazon. But I have a mail forwarding service in the USA. Since I have Prime, Amazon ships it free to the mail forwarder and the mail forwarder ships it to me in Thailand. Lose a couple days on the extra shipment, but that's not such a big deal.

On 11/6/2017 at 1:27 PM, impulse said:

Yes,  this is true. When flooding in Thailand damaged some of my 'old books' I had brought from England I wanted to replace them. A couple I got through Amazon but others were only available through a separate seller and that seller did not ship to Thailand. I had the books sent to family in New Zealand who then passed them on to me.

In addition to what ChouDoufu mentions above on how to get find those items that do ship to Thailand, I use either www.planetexpress or www.shipito.com to get what I need from Amazon or any other retailer that doesn't ship to Thailand. Just redirect your shipment to either of these 2 forwarders and then have the forwarder ship it to you wherever you are in the world.

21 hours ago, ukrules said:

this there is an option to only show items that ship to thailand..

personally though after the tax and cost of shipping your better off just buying through lazada or a store unless its a specialized item that you cant through normal thailand channels.

Having had the same issues. 

I disagree with the comments about small suppliers not doing the shipping to Thailand.

I've found that if you send an enquiry to the supplier attach a photo that contains your direct e mail address they will contact you and ship directly cutting out Amazon.

You need to attach the photo as if you put your address in the message Amazon filters will block the message and they never get it.

3 hours ago, alex8912 said:

I used to do that when I had to fly back and forth on business.  But, recently retired, next time I hop the pond will probably be my last since after 60+ business trips, it's not fun any more.  And I can buy a lot of crap on Amazon for the cost of a R/T ticket and the 60+ hours I'd be in transit and days that I'd be down with jet lag.

Besides, I have no clue where my hobbies and projects and upgrades and replacements will take me in 3 or 4 months.  Putting a replacement laptop battery on my list 'o crap to haul back from the States in 6 months doesn't seem very wise when I need the laptop now.

And I'd really rather think about all the hobbies I didn't have time to pursue while I was working than polishing a barstool from dawn to dusk with an occasional break for a paid "relationship experience".

Edited by impulse

50 minutes ago, MJL1962 said:

Having had the same issues. 

I disagree with the comments about small suppliers not doing the shipping to Thailand.

I've found that if you send an enquiry to the supplier attach a photo that contains your direct e mail address they will contact you and ship directly cutting out Amazon.

You need to attach the photo as if you put your address in the message Amazon filters will block the message and they never get it.

That's a recipe for disaster sooner or later since Amazon T&C's don't allow it and anyone that will screw Amazon would probably screw their Thai customer in a heartbeat.  And then you have no protection provided by Amazon, either.

It is clear, why many offers are not available to Thailand. How much mail/parcels "disappear" once they've landed on Thai soil? I had ordered magnesium supplements from Puritan in the US and paid USD 37; the duty/taxes/VAT (and I had to go all the way to Laem Chabang's customs house) would have clocked up another USD 84. 
I refused acceptance and they offered me a "discount" to USD 65 (THB 2'000) - without receipt. That was when I decided to refuse acceptance all together and the packet was sent back to the US. Obviously Puritan was not excited over the whole transaction. 

Technical books from the UK were taxed at 80% plus VAT; since I needed them I had to accept. I intervened with the shipper and asked to under-declare the value, which they do not do in Europe.