Thai kids chewing with mouth open

Nemises

10 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

This isn't even your thread - now, it has only become a thread about you attacking me and you have mentioned my post more than I have that once... good for you. Bye now. 

I really wasnt attacking YOU , I did mention YOUR post and I simply disagreed with the content

Seems like YOU have a problem with people disagreeing with YOU .

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I really wasnt attacking YOU , I did mention YOUR post and I simply disagreed with the content

Seems like YOU have a problem with people disagreeing with YOU .

you were not the OP - you were not the person I responded to, who did not find it so offensive... [only you] which leads me to believe you don't like to take your shoes off when going into a Thai home or establishment... true? Admit it. Otherwise, why make such a big deal of it and try and control the entire forum with where you think the conversation should go... 

This is typical behavior for Thailand culture. 

It's very common, but actually against Buddhas teaching.

Buddha said:
When eating, do not overfill your mouth or chew noisily, with the mouth agape.

But he also prohibited lying and killing too, but many people do it.

I don't like seeing people eat with their mouth open, but I also don't like to tell people what to do.

1 hour ago, hellohello123 said:

My Caucasian gf wears shoes in the house. 

In my culture we take our shoes off. 

Should I teach her. Her parents. Her friends. Her family some manners and tell them it's unacceptable to wear shoes in the house???  

/sarcasm

Yes. Dirty, and disrespectful. There we have it. No shoes in my house. The floors are clean.

11 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

Low class by whose standards? My gf is a Bangkok girl from a very well to do family with money, far from low class by any means. She eats that loudly at times that I can hear her from the next room over the sound of the television!

As I was brought up, like most westerners, that eating in this manner is extremely impolite I eventually politely broached the subject with her. In short her answer was ‘it shows I’m enjoying my food!’. I asked her if her parents ever told her to quieten down or close her mouth and she said that they didn’t care just as long as she was eating and happy.

I just returned from meeting her parents and we shared quite a few meals together and, I guess to no surprise, her parents ate identically. Not quite reaching the decibel levels she manages but open mouths and noisy all the same.

I mentioned to her that in my culture it’s is considered quite rude and can actually be off putting but in the spirit of fairness I told her it’s ok as long as it doesn’t get out of hand.

As she eats and ‘enjoys’ her food more her sound levels increase. I just politely ask her to quieten it down a little and she happily compiles. I have slowly learned to tune most of the noise out now and with that the annoyance it presents.

Besides, I fart and burp and I’m sure there’s a few other things I do that are not considered polite or could be seen as annoying and she never complains or pulls me up. I see at ist compromising and adjusting to our cultural differences. Just because I find it annoying or off putting doesn’t mean I can enforce personality changes on her and demand she changes 25 years of habit.

Couldn't agree more. Also, if you kick around the world enough, you will find that in ( some ) cities and towns in some countries it is actually quite polite to burp ( loudly or lowly ) at the dinner table after, or during a meal....parts of Greece, Turkey and France for example. 

3 hours ago, Petchou said:

Yeah.  Civilized farangs chocked from people not doing what they think is the right way.  I frequently have to run from farangs in bts,MRT etc... Because they smell so bad, this is not prejudice, it's real.:-)

Petchou, you need to get one a them little thinggys a lot of Thais always seem to have hanging out of their noses, especially on buses or trains. Not healthy, but it might help. I tried it, decided I would rather put up with the smell.

11 minutes ago, UPDEHSOI said:

Couldn't agree more. Also, if you kick around the world enough, you will find that in ( some ) cities and towns in some countries it is actually quite polite to burp ( loudly or lowly ) at the dinner table after, or during a meal....parts of Greece, Turkey and France for example. 

Well a culture and educated and tolerant human being will understand the difference between a rude person vs a cultural practice or habit

Only the losers and those with a chip on their shoulder or with 'short man syndrome' will crap on about teaching the Thais on manners or to improve their behaviour  

37 minutes ago, Goanna said:

Yes. Dirty, and disrespectful. There we have it. No shoes in my house. The floors are clean.

Geez I live in a country where the culture is to wear shoes in the house where you are the president or not. 

I must live in a country with 100million savages. 

I'm grateful I have farang with young Thai wives to teach me and them bettter:) 

19 minutes ago, UPDEHSOI said:

So, if , in one Country, something is socially acceptable, that then makes it socially acceptable in every other Country in the World ?

10 minutes ago, hellohello123 said:

Well a culture and educated and tolerant human being will understand the difference between a rude person vs a cultural practice or habit

Only the losers and those with a chip on their shoulder or with 'short man syndrome' will crap on about teaching the Thais on manners or to improve their behaviour  

I do not believe that eating with ones mouth open is a Thai culture , its a World wide low class culture .

It is rude and impolite .

Its the Westerners who come to Thailand, the low class slobs , who have found their level of social manners .

No doubt they are bad Parents , who have no control over their Children behavior and their Children will grow up to be the same low class slob with no manners

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I do not believe that eating with ones mouth open is a Thai culture , its a World wide low class culture .

It is rude and impolite .

Its the Westerners who come to Thailand, the low class slobs , who have found their level of social manners .

No doubt they are bad Parents , who have no control over their Children behavior and their Children will grow up to be the same low class slob with no manners

I don't claim to be  a qualified recognised  Thai culture expert but many of the posts here make me laugh, such as "it's unacceptable for someone to chew with their mouths open for me, so I get on my high horse and try and teach everyone around me what is wrong and right" 

So many losers here...... 

Like I previously said. Why don't you go to. Japan and tell people off for slurping their noodles? 

14 minutes ago, sanemax said:

So, if , in one Country, something is socially acceptable, that then makes it socially acceptable in every other Country in the World ?

As retarded as it sounds it's no different to a hindu coming to America and telling everyone who eats a big mac or whopper that it's wrong and blasphemy.

Theyd get laughed out of the country. 

Yet certain types of  people are "improving" and "educating" the Thais with their class and wisdom 

Laughable 

Just now, hellohello123 said:

I don't claim to be  a qualified recognised  Thai culture expert but many of the posts here make me laugh, such as "it's unacceptable for someone to chew with their mouths open for me, so I get on my high horse and try and teach everyone around me what is wrong and right" 

So many losers here...... 

You think that I am a loser because I believe in manners ?

You are hiding behind some pretend Thai culture in order to behave like a slob .

Anyone who sits at a table with me will be eating in an orderly fashion , if not, they will not be at the table much longer

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You think that I am a loser because I believe in manners ?

You are hiding behind some pretend Thai culture in order to behave like a slob .

Anyone who sits at a table with me will be eating in an orderly fashion , if not, they will not be at the table much longer

Geez. You're totally missing the point. 

I hope you re just trying to antagonise for the sake of it. 

So if the king was sitting on your table and chewing with his mouth open. Are you going to open your sophisticated classy farang mouth and kick him off. 

Please...... 

1 minute ago, hellohello123 said:

As retarded as it sounds it's no different to a hindu coming to America and telling everyone who eats a big mac or whopper that it's wrong and blasphemy.

I admit , that it rather too much for me to get my head around .

A westerner in Thailand having table manners is the same as a Hindu in the USA preaching about vegetarianism......................let me think about that for a while errrmmmmm

15 minutes ago, hellohello123 said:

Geez. You're totally missing the point. 

I hope you re just trying to antagonise for the sake of it. 

So if the king was sitting on your table and chewing with his mouth open. Are you going to open your sophisticated classy farang mouth and kick him off. 

You are using an extreme example to make a regular point 

This thread is about Thai Children and you changed that to the King

The King does get treated differently to other people, so, that example is mute

19 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I admit , that it rather too much for me to get my head around .

A westerner in Thailand having table manners is the same as a Hindu in the USA preaching about vegetarianism......................let me think about that for a while errrmmmmm

I hope for your sake your head doesn't explode 

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You are using an extreme example to make a regular point 

This thread is about Thai Children and you changed that to the King

The King does get treated differently to other people, so, that example is mute

Feel free to replace the king with elderly person, importnt politician, the  prince, or any other non king person. Or any other person who you deem to worthy of being taught manners and improved according to your standards

And then you might realise how ridiculous you sound. 

I hope you don't go to Japan. There is like 150 million noodle slurpers that need to be taught manners by farangs like you (feel free to remove the Japanese president out of your criteria too) 

Edited by hellohello123

7 minutes ago, hellohello123 said:

Feel free to replace the king with elderly person, importnt politician, the  prince, or any other non king person. Or any other person who you deem to worthy of being taught manners and improved according to your standards

And then you might realise how ridiculous you sound. 

I hope you don't go to Japan. There is like 150 million noodle slurpers that need to be taught manners by farangs like you (feel free to remove the Japanese president out of your criteria too) 

I have been to Japan, spent three years there and yes I did comment on their slurping, but , after a while I gave up .

Slurping is how Japanese eat their noodles but eating with mouths open isnt how Thais eat, not all of them anyway , just, as in all other cultures, its just the rude people with no manners that do so

BTW, I am not really into being subservient to anyone, I treat everyone the same .

Kings around my house

Princes and Politicians at my dinner table

Hindus in the USA

Me in Japan

This thread is about Thai Children eating with their mouths open

On 07/11/2017 at 1:21 PM, Gregster said:

but fortunately the school is close-by, so my suffering lasts only about 4-5 minutes.

No wonder Thai kids are getting fat. Make them walk and relieve your suffering.