Bringing Food In For Personal Use - Are There Restrictions?

Smithson

We're flying into Bangkok in a few days and have bought a bit of food that is quite expensive in Thailand. I've heard customs/excise can be strict now and was wondering if we might be breaking the law. Among the items are 4 litres of olive oil, several packs of pasta, several tins of items such as capers, anchovies, tomatoes.

I'm aware of the law relating to tobacco, alcohol and electric goods, but I have no idea about food. Does anybody know?

Thanks!

I can't speak authorititavely on this but, when we come back from whichever farang land we've been to, we are laden with marmite, teabags and choc. As a family we have never been asked to open our bags. I really can't imagine that there would be a problem

generally meat and meat products, fish, plants and seeds which are not processed and properly packed in jars and tins are not allowed - but unless there is some desease around the customs don't bother.

To play safe don't keep all fods in one bag - spread it equaly to all luggages, including puting some at your hand luggage (you can even move some food from the main luggage to your hand luggage before going through customs). Also don't go in a group and through the same custom exit - however if you are with children you have a smaller chance being searched.

a few years ago they liberated some of my cosmetics for themselves - just because I had several of each. At the new airport it's more difficult for them to take something off you bacause people can see what they are doing.

I have brought in tons of food dozens of times without a problem. Even brought in canned goods in three cases of 12 each, bags of masa for making tortillas, you name it. I don't think they spend much time worrying about any food items somebody brings in.

We're flying into Bangkok in a few days and have bought a bit of food that is quite expensive in Thailand. I've heard customs/excise can be strict now and was wondering if we might be breaking the law. Among the items are 4 litres of olive oil, several packs of pasta, several tins of items such as capers, anchovies, tomatoes.

I'm aware of the law relating to tobacco, alcohol and electric goods, but I have no idea about food. Does anybody know?

Thanks!

Not only are all these items readily available throughout the LOS (and relatively cheap) how much will this lot weigh?

Well, whatever floats your boat. Real Italian Parmigiano Reggiano available. Real Italian pasta, (or you can make it yourself). I don't know what the price differential is, but I can't think it's worth the hassle. Anyway, of course "up to you", as they say.

Is it legal to bring one kilo of caviar into thailand for personal use?

Some friends are transiting through Iran and have asked me if it is Ok to bring some caviar with them.

It's really cheap in Iran.

it's a very exclusive and expensive food - buy it in tins rather than jars so customs won't be able to see through. Remove labels, try to get tins with writing only in persian and not in english.

in the UK for that ammount it's a court and prison

it's a very exclusive and expensive food - buy it in tins rather than jars so customs won't be able to see through. Remove labels, try to get tins with writing only in persian and not in english.

in the UK for that ammount it's a court and prison

really?? court and prison for bringing in a kilo of cavier to eat??

Prison for fish roe?

In Iran currently a kilo of caviar retails around 600-800 US dollars.

In the caspian region people use it as a meat substitute sometimes. Of course they don't buy it, it's given to them by family who fish for sturgeon.

Caviar sold for domestic consumption is labelled in persian but has a picture of a sturgeon fish on the tin cover.

Would it be better to repackage it somehow?

Will repackaging affect quality since it's packed with dry ice?

Not sure about the customs rules, but I'm just curious why you bring in the items you mention, all of which can be purchased in Bangkok.

I bought 4 litres of Virgin Olive for around B1,000, can't remember the price here, but I think it'd be 3 - 4 times that. There were a heap of other items, such as tins of anchovies, sun dried tomatoes, canned tomatoes from Italy and Italian pasta.

Most of this is available here, but not all. I was able to save several thousand and it was easier to buy at home than in Bangkok where I'd have to lug it back on the BTS. All this was bought from Australia, although it was made in Italy or Greece. The price of imported food here is ridiculous.

As for the weight, I normally don't bring much back with me so this wasn't a problem. 1 litre of water = 1kg, I'm not sure it what the Olive Oil weighed, but this will give you an idea.

repackaging won't affect the quality as the caviar has lost already all its quality by being frozen. caviar should be stored NOT LOWER than +5ºC as freezing the roe makes it pop and the can contains some sort of caviar sauce which -i admit- doesn't taste bad but is rejected by a gourmet.

Edited by Dr. Naam

repackaging won't affect the quality as the caviar has lost already all its quality by being frozen. caviar should be stored NOT LOWER than +5ºC as freezing the roe makes it pop and the can contains some sort of caviar sauce which -i admit- doesn't taste bad but is rejected by a gourmet.

Thanks for the tip about freezing.

The caviar I mentioned will not be frozen, just chilled and packed with just enough dry ice so it doesnt' spoil from heat.

Edited by pampal