Bazaar Begpacker: Russian begpacker spotted Sunday at weekend market

webfact

Bazaar Begpacker: Russian begpacker spotted Sunday at weekend market

(VIDEO)

By Coconuts Bangkok 

cc.jpg

As we were wandering around Chatuchak Market on Sunday, we came upon an unusual site, a begpacker that had set up shop in the middle of a crowded walkway to solicit donations for her travels.

Begpackers, slang for western backpackers that come to Southeast Asia and beg for money to continue traveling without working, are becoming more and more common, but it’s rare to see one in a well-patrolled place like the weekend market. In fact, we’d never seen a beggar of any kind in the market before this.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/bazaar-begpacker-russian-begpacker-spotted-sunday-weekend-market-video/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-11-07

Harmless; the average thai won’t have a problem with this, it’s only the neo nationalists, the immigration police (akin to traffic wardens for people) and the usual anally retentive Charlies on this forum that do.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

If she is playing a musical instrument, as it says in the article, then she is not a beggar.

And as we can see from the reaction to my above post at least one poster on here also shares this inability or unwilling to discern between begging and busking, how very strange.

Edited by Kieran00001

Begging and Busking are not different! Check the definition of begging!

beg

beɡ/

verb

gerund or present participle: begging

ask (someone) earnestly or humbly for something.

"I begged him for mercy"

synonyms:implore, entreat, plead with, appeal to, supplicate, pray to, importune; More

ask for something, typically food or money, as charity or a gift.

"a young woman was begging in the street"

synonyms:panhandle, ask for money, seek charity, seek alms; 

7 minutes ago, pearciderman said:

Begging and Busking are not different! Check the definition of begging!

beg

beɡ/

verb

gerund or present participle: begging

ask (someone) earnestly or humbly for something.

"I begged him for mercy"

synonyms:implore, entreat, plead with, appeal to, supplicate, pray to, importune; More

ask for something, typically food or money, as charity or a gift.

"a young woman was begging in the street"

synonyms:panhandle, ask for money, seek charity, seek alms; 

As you should be able to see from what you posted, busking falls outside of the definition of begging, I can't work out why you thought they were the same when you posted that.

busk1
bəsk/
verb
gerund or present participle: busking
  1. play music or otherwise perform for voluntary donations in the street or in subways.
    "the group began by busking on Philadelphia sidewalks"

Ever walk along Sukhumvit between Soi 11, 7, 5 and 3 in afternoon or evening. 

There is a very well known guy who crawls on his stomach. He has only one half-leg. He pushes a plastic dish in front and people drop money in.

I noticed him in 2005 when I returned to Bkk and saw him regularly, as I was in that area a lot. I just saw him again last week. I have not been around lower sukhumvit much at all in recent years or not on that side anyway. 

One afternoon in 2008 I was drinking in soi 7 on a Sunday afternoon and saw him come out with help of another from a closet sized door behind the Subway. He was in wheel chair when hit the soi and wheeled to the pavement where he got out and began his stomach crawl. I watched with amusement and wonder. 

4 minutes ago, Minnehaha said:

There is a very well known guy who crawls on his stomach. He has only one half-leg. He pushes a plastic dish in front and people drop money in.

I noticed him in 2005 when I returned to Bkk and saw him regularly, as I was in that area a lot. I just saw him again last week. I have not been around lower sukhumvit much at all in recent years or not on that side anyway. 

One afternoon in 2008 I was drinking in soi 7 on a Sunday afternoon and saw him come out with help of another from a closet sized door behind the Subway. He was in wheel chair when hit the soi and wheeled to the pavement where he got out and began his stomach crawl. I watched with amusement and wonder. 

Whats the relevance?

5 minutes ago, Minnehaha said:

Yes he is special.Even when it hasn't rained for awhile he is crawling in (custom made)mud.He keeps crawling back and forward in it.I told him one time to move to where it was dry but no response.

I guess he looks more sad being dirty.

It's fashionable among ex-pats to hate on these ''beg-packers'' as they see themselves as the superior foreigner, the ''only farang in the village'' syndrome. 

They don't have any problems with the girls, foreign or Thai, begging for money by providing a short time liaison, though. 

I saw her a few weeks ago outside MBK near that new intersection bridge. She was not playing any instrument and had some note and something for people to put money in. She is begging and even if she started playing something she is still begging. I love people with musical backgrounds that think busking is very hi so and above begging and legal! Most countries you just can't start playing something and put a tin can out and get away with it for long. Why not just bring out the ingredients for your own  som tum at the MBK bridge and start singing and selling it for a donation? 

23 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I saw her a few weeks ago outside MBK near that new intersection bridge. She was not playing any instrument and had some note and something for people to put money in. She is begging and even if she started playing something she is still begging. I love people with musical backgrounds that think busking is very hi so and above begging and legal! Most countries you just can't start playing something and put a tin can out and get away with it for long. Why not just bring out the ingredients for your own  som tum at the MBK bridge and start singing and selling it for a donation? 

How is she still begging if she is actually now busking?  You failed to explain that little lapse of logic.  And the reason why not to be selling som tam is another matter, busking would be illegal as she is no doubt on a tourist visa, but the legalities do not magically turn busking into begging, they are different things.  And why do you see busking as being high society?  That is very strange!

17 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

How is she still begging if she is actually now busking?  You failed to explain that little lapse of logic.  And the reason why not to be selling som tam is another matter, busking would be illegal as she is no doubt on a tourist visa, but the legalities do not magically turn busking into begging, they are different things.  And why do you see busking as being high society?  That is very strange!

Did you read my post? I saw her NOT playing an instrument!  With my own  eyes, at the sky walk at MBK somewhat in the way of people. If you are playing music on the street with no hat or tin can or something else out to put money in then you are playing music. Once the hat comes out it's begging. If you want to say asking for donations then all beggars ask for donations if they are playing music or saying some prayer to you. Some people have one small drum and suck at playing it and have a hat out. Is that busking to you??  Please.  I also did not say busking is hi so, read my post. 

Edited by alex8912

Good for her
Many people Busk to help with their Travels and I personally think its fantastic that they do it.

Not sure why some her feel it is so bad? Well I do, but thats only because these type of people also yell at clouds.

9 hours ago, Minnehaha said:

There are several of these guys doing the same thing around town. Crawling through mud looks much more pitiable and desperate than hobbling on crutches so it's very marketable to exploit them to beg in this way. One day I saw one of them looking to make sure no one was around, then he extracted some crutches from behind the wall near Chuwit Park, got up on them and hobbled over to a car and climbed in. 

Edited by lamyai3

11 hours ago, jvs said:

Yes he is special.Even when it hasn't rained for awhile he is crawling in (custom made)mud.He keeps crawling back and forward in it.I told him one time to move to where it was dry but no response.

I guess he looks more sad being dirty.

He has been doing it for more than 10 years. I think he knows what he is doing better than you or I !

18 hours ago, Minnehaha said:

I think i saw him in Manila couple years ago ?