Questions re blue book for my pickup truck

davidst01

Ive just paid off my pickup truck and filled out the forms to get the blue book. They put my work address on the form as this is the address on the work permit. Does that matter at all. Is it necessary for me to go to the govt transport office to change it to my home address? If I ever go to sell the car does this address matter at all?

Finally, do you keep your blue book in your car with other insurance docs? If the car was stolen and if someone also had the blue book could they re-sell it?

thanks

With fairly recent posts about fraudulent activity associated with blue books and company vehicles, having a work address rather than a home address on the registration documents for your own vehicle is far less secure. A fraudster could claim to work at the same company and/or address. Unless your own house is a nest of gypsies, hangers-on, vagrants and other itinerants, best to change the owners address from your work address to your home address.

The blue book can stay in the home safe, along with the originals of your insurance policy. The only time I have seen a copy of the blue book in the glovebox was in my first financed truck purchase. It was only there so that I could show it when doing the annual tax renewal. In the end I moved that copy to the home safe as well.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The only time I have seen a copy of the blue book in the glovebox was in my first financed truck purchase. It was only there so that I could show it when doing the annual tax renewal.

There was a recent thread about the need to carry a copy of the blue book in the vehicle.

And there is an amendment to the traffic law that requires to have a copy.

About two years ago a friend on holiday was fined for not having with him. He was quite surprised (like me).

2 hours ago, davidst01 said:

If the car was stolen and if someone also had the blue book could they re-sell it?

Legally/theoretically: no!

Selling always requires signatures of seller and buyer on an official form witnessed at the DLT office or legalized at the district office.

Edited by KhunBENQ
office -> DLT office

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

There was a recent thread about the need to carry a copy of the blue book in the vehicle.

Selling always requires signatures of seller and buyer on an official form witnessed at the office or legalized at the district office.

That is how l believe the situation in Thailand is.

Highway police acquaintance l know told me years ago what l should carry copies of in my vehicles.

Copy of passport with page showing extension date.

Copy of blue book or green book.

Copy my driving license.

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Highway police acquaintance l know told me years ago what l should carry copies of in my vehicles.

Copy my driving license.

One should carry one's driving license with one when one is driving, shouldn't one :smile:

8 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

About two years ago a friend on holiday was fined for not having with him. He was quite surprised (like me).

Selling always requires signatures of seller and buyer on an official form witnessed at the DLT office or legalized at the district office.

I stand corrected then, thanks. I will make sure I stick a copy back in the truck.

Legally/theoretically no... but this is Thailand with lawyers apparently not required to do due diligence before legalizing stuff and some DLT officers similarly blighted by slothful indolence. Maybe the simple one-on-one transfer of registered ownership is quite hard to fudge but based on what was recently posted on TV, committing a fraud with vehicles on finance only needs a bit of planning and is not impossible. There's more than one way to have your car 'stolen'. 

Edited by NanLaew

10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Copy my driving license.

This is roughly a collection of all copies I have in my Dropbox. I can show it anytime on my mobile or on a computer on the police station... Just keep it updated.

Often people will have forgotten to sign their signature in the blue book where your name is, not signing the blue book means if someone were to transfer ownership, they wouldn't need to forge your signature, they could produce a power of attorney letter with matching signature and forms and the department of land transport would accept it.

Some 2nd hand car dealer advice against signing the book since it makes their lives easier 

9 hours ago, hkt83100 said:

This is roughly a collection of all copies I have in my Dropbox. I can show it anytime on my mobile or on a computer on the police station... Just keep it updated.

Yeah best way, l only posted what the highway cop told me, l carry more paper copies,  I think visits to immigration and they still wanting something that I did not bring has infected me. :laugh:

In glove box :-

Copy Yellow house book.

"      My wife's house book.

"      Marriage cert.

"      Copy of voluntary insurance.

17 hours ago, Kwasaki said:
On 08/11/2017 at 5:01 PM, JAS21 said:

One should carry one's driving license with one when one is driving, shouldn't one :smile:

Yeah but don't hand it over just give them the copy.

The police are entitled to keep your driving licence if you need to pay a fine, so while if they just want to check that you have a licence a copy is OK if you've committed a driving offence they will demand the original and quite possibly add a fine if you don't have it.

53 minutes ago, garbolino said:

what do yu think you should do with the blue book??

My answer is simple take a copy of it and all insurance paperwork using yur phone!!!

SIMPLE is it NOT ??

in you car carry ..

Copy of Blue Book

Original Insurance papers ...with the form to fill out for accident ... of course keep a hard copy at home.

Fine if you want to copy onto phone

SIMPLE ... yes :smile:

Edited by JAS21

16 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The police are entitled to keep your driving licence if you need to pay a fine, so while if they just want to check that you have a licence a copy is OK if you've committed a driving offence they will demand the original and quite possibly add a fine if you don't have it.

But that's why l only show them a DL copy if they want keep it otherwise l have to keep buying my cop pal a bottle of 285 for getting my original DL back. :laugh:

Good ere ain't it.