Opening Thai Bank Account

Iv been trying to open a bank account in Bangkok Thailand. I went to over 6 banks, but they all asked for a certified document from my home embassy. So i went to the British Embassy early yesterday morning, and was prompted to go to the reception window which fronts the pavement. I told the receptionist, who didn't speak very good English, and didn't understand me very well either, that i wanted the appropriate document in order to open a bank account. She pointed at the window and said "you need to make an appointment". I said " Can i make an appointment". she said "you can only do it online" . I said "whats the contact email address or web site?". She once again pointed at a note on the window, which at a closer look had no contact or email address on it. So i went back to my hotel to look for the web site. I found the web site, but there was no section about bank account credited documentation, and also no section on making an appointment. So i sent them a message under the "contact us" section. I received an automated reply pointing me back to their web site. I repeated my reply with more details. Some hours later i received a message asking me to be specific about which service i require. I asked them to read my initial request, as i was not sure which service i required, because there was no category for my problem. Im now waiting for the reply.

Edited by Brian T

Moved to here.

You will be doing a a affirmation of residency that will satisfy the bank.

Affirmation of residency

This service is provided for British nationals required to make an affirmation of residency. The affirmation template will be available at your appointment for you to complete.

To complete and affirmation of residency you will need to bring with you:

Proof of your identity. We accept passports or national identity cards

Proofs of address

We accept driver’s licence, utility bills or postal mail showing your name and local address or house registration.

From this page :https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

Edited by ubonjoe

I just received a nice message from the embassy telling me what i need. Thanks

Dear Mr. T,

To open a bank account with Bangkok Bank, you will only need to certify copy of your passport from us.
The fee for this service is 1,150 THB.

Just bring original of your passport in on your appointment date.

Please see link below for further information.

Kind regards,

2 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Amazing. I have 3 bank accounts and never had to dodo any of the stuff the OP talks about?

I would hope not.   While we were refused last year it was because my wife didn't have her ID card and  we were  on  30-day exempt entry.  This year I have the 1yr o visa and I believe that is good for opening a Bangkok Bank account and the wife will have her ID card.  Hopefully there isn't a lot of waiting.

25 minutes ago, yooper said:

I would hope not.   While we were refused last year it was because my wife didn't have her ID card and  we were  on  30-day exempt entry.  This year I have the 1yr o visa and I believe that is good for opening a Bangkok Bank account and the wife will have her ID card.  Hopefully there isn't a lot of waiting.

Have you read the latest comments on BBK

You may also need proof of Residence (can get at IMMI )

17 hours ago, Brian T said:

I just received a nice message from the embassy telling me what i need. Thanks

Dear Mr. T,

To open a bank account with Bangkok Bank, you will only need to certify copy of your passport from us.
The fee for this service is 1,150 THB.

Just bring original of your passport in on your appointment date.

Please see link below for further information.

Kind regards,

While that may well be what the British embassy said it probably either isn't necessary or won't be enough.

With all the accounts I have opened I have never needed a certified copy of anything nor have I needed a residence certificate. 

They have  made copies of things that I have signed.

Almost every branch of every bank has different rules, and often different rules on different days. 

Best  advice is never believe that any rule is universal and keep trying in different areas.

Having a Thai who has a relationship with the bank help you always makes things easier.

Bangkok bank has an agreement with the British embassy that allows British passport holders to open an account with only a passport and proof if address.  The problem is that the bank employee's, as with most government departments in Thailand, have no idea how what their banks rules and policies are. Good luck. It will drive you to drink.

• 4 weeks later...

Bangkok bank clearly states what you need to open an account. Here it is

For Foreigners

1. Foreigner with a Work Permit

• Passport
  • Work Permit

2. Foreigner with Long-stay or Tourist Visa

• Passport
  • A Letter of Reference issued by: (One of the following)
    • Embassy or international organization
    • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
    • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
    • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
    • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

For Embassy certification letter, you need to take this form and get it certified.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBankThai/Documents/Site Documents/Web Form/Certified_Letter_211009.pdf

Please post your experience if you have done it from US embassy.

I have an appointment on Dec 20 to get it from US embassy.

Edited by onera1961