Cans Of Pure Mountain Air A Hit In Nan

Duangta

:o

In the Satire movie "Spaceballs" it was called "Perrie Air". When I saw this article I couldn't help myself, this is Thailand as it's best:

Cans of pure mountain air a hit in Nan

Pop the top and take a breath of pure canned air from the peak of Nan's Doi Phu Kha mountain. — RARINTORN PETCHAROEN

post-15616-1168585851.jpg

Nan _ Fresh air from atop Doi Phu Kha mountain in Pua district is now being sold in cans as a souvenir for tourists. The product, known as Air Can, is part of a project to promote local tourism, develop new attractions in the province and manage natural resources in a sustainable manner.

Surapol Thirasutra, deputy chief of the Nan provincial administration organisation, said the PAO is duty-bound to protect and preserve the environment and natural resources.

It has cooperated with Doi Phu Kha national park to promote eco-tourism and local wisdom.

Mr Surapol said a small cannery had been taken to the top of Doi Phu Kha and the tins were filled at times when the air on the peak was at its cleanest.

Explanatory graphics and information about tourist attractions and native plants in the province of Nan are printed on the cans, which sell at 30 baht each.

They are on sale only at Doi Phu Kha national park.

Mr Surapol said the canned air is very popular with tourists. About 6,000 cans have been sold so far.

Proceeds were being used to help villagers who had encroached on land in Doi Phu Kha National Park find new livelihoods, he said.

They have been relocated and Doi Phu Kha National Park has launched projects to assist them in learning new ways, such as organic pig raising and rice farming on terraced fields.

Rising to about 1,980 metres, Doi Phu Kha is home to the rare, endangered Chomphu Phu Kha tree (Bretschneidera sinensis hemsl), which many visitors to Nan go to see and admire.

Source: http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/12Jan2007_news03.php