Visa Question - Chinese partner pregnant and I am on my Working Visa

Hello all,

Sorry to trouble you with my question but I thought it might speed up my response if someone has been in a similar situation before.

I met my partner who is a Chinese National a while ago. She was on a Business Visa but has now just recently gone onto a tourists for 3 months. I am now a holder of a Working Permit as a teacher. We have tossed up getting her on to another Business Visa as well.

She is just on 8 weeks pregnant as well. What options do I have regarding her being able to stay in the country? Can she attach herself to my Working Permit as a defacto as we are not married or she can only remain on a tourist?

Just curious what options we have available to us.

Appreciate any information in advance!  

You have to be legally married for her to get a extension of stay based upon the one you have (not your work permit) that was issued at immigration.

Her best choice may be to get a non-ed visa and extensions of stay based upon on attending a school. She could study Thai.

Tourist visas would be difficult since she can only get them in China.

Yeah O.K I see. So, can we legally marry in Thailand and it be recognized here. As we do plan to get married but I wasn't sure if we could both being non nationals. 

When you say extension of stay but not my work permit how does that pan out if we are married? She attaches herself to my 12 month visa to stay which is separate to the working permit i presume?

Thanks for the help as well

Edited by Neurotic Trader

7 minutes ago, Neurotic Trader said:

Yeah O.K I see. So, can we legally marry in Thailand and it be recognized here. As we do plan to get married but I wasn't sure if we could both being non nationals. 

You can get married here by registering it at a Amphoe. You both will need a affirmation of permit to marry from your embassies and then have it translated to Thai and the translation certified by the department of consular affairs of the MFA,

8 minutes ago, Neurotic Trader said:

When you say extension of stay but not my work permit how does that pan out if we are married? She attaches herself to my 12 month visa to stay which is separate to the working permit i presume?

I am certain you have an extension of stay issued at immigration not a visa issued by an embassy or consulate. Visas/extensions are not the same as a work permit.

Her extension as your dependent would be based upon yours and would be valid to the date yours ends.

• Like 1

On the point of being on an extension. The day you finish work, for whatever reason, your extension of stay will also end. I would assume that your partners extension would also end. ( Someone will confirm or deny the second point)

I always worked and got my WP's on a multi entry O, meant leaving and returning every 90 days, but, it meant if the job finished I kept my visa and never experienced the 7 days to leave stamp on a cancelled extension.

If your wife held her own ED extension it would remain with her. 

21 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Visa or extension = allowed to stay in the country

Work permit = allowed to work

Extension based on work finishes the day the work finishes. Or, the finish work day your employers puts in the letter/notice.

Working with a WP while on a visa means you keep the visa and can use it until the enter by date.

Edited by overherebc