Impossible to seal Brexit deal by 2019: German industry group BDI

webfact

Impossible to seal Brexit deal by 2019: German industry group BDI

tag_reuters.jpg

Union Flags and European Union flags fly near the Elizabeth Tower, housing the Big Ben bell, during the anti-Brexit 'People's March for Europe', in Parliament Square in central London, Britain September 9, 2017. REUTERS/Tolga Akmen

BERLIN (Reuters) - The European Union and Britain will not be able to reach a comprehensive deal on their future economic relations by the March 29, 2019, exit deadline, Germany's largest industry group BDI warned on Friday, adding that a hard Brexit was very likely.

The two sides will need many years to complete a comprehensive deal on trade and investments, BDI Managing Director Joachim Lang told Reuters.

(Reporting by Gernot Heller; Writing by Joseph Nasr; Editing by Michael Nienaber and Alison Williams)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-10

Oh dear, then why continue with all this crap from Theresa the dithering Appeaser, just terminate, return to WTO rules, negotiate with individual countries for free trade agreements, allow visa free access to the UK for EU passport holders who were BORN in an EU member country, withdraw from the European Army, NATO is adequate. Determine (if possible in the quagmire of EU finances [never had a full and proper audit agreed]) and honour pension and employment termination requirements. Let the market sort itself out, offer free trade to Canada,Australia,New Zealand, India,USA and any other country that offers a reciprocal agreement.

51 minutes ago, John1012 said:

Oh dear, then why continue with all this crap from Theresa the dithering Appeaser, just terminate, return to WTO rules, negotiate with individual countries for free trade agreements, allow visa free access to the UK for EU passport holders who were BORN in an EU member country, withdraw from the European Army, NATO is adequate. Determine (if possible in the quagmire of EU finances [never had a full and proper audit agreed]) and honour pension and employment termination requirements. Let the market sort itself out, offer free trade to Canada,Australia,New Zealand, India,USA and any other country that offers a reciprocal agreement.

Apart from negotiating with individual countries in the Euroblock, which is not allowed, Brexit could be achieved without all this fuss and nonsense.

Problem is that there are any number of UK politicians and jobsworthies on the case, and they have personal ambitions to drag it all out.

And how long do you think that "negotiate with individual countries for free trade agreements" is likely to take? 10 months? More like 10 years ...

And I notice that your priority is to negotiate with the Anglophone (or, in the case of Usofa & India, the semi-Anglophone) countries. Which, I guess, says it all about the neo-imperialist dreams & nostalgia of the Brexiteers.

All round, I think you might be in for many very nasty surprises in the years ahead. But that's democracy for you.

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

And how long do you think that "negotiate with individual countries for free trade agreements" is likely to take? 10 months? More like 10 years ...

And I notice that your priority is to negotiate with the Anglophone (or, in the case of Usofa & India, the semi-Anglophone) countries. Which, I guess, says it all about the neo-imperialist dreams & nostalgia of the Brexiteers.

All round, I think you might be in for many very nasty surprises in the years ahead. But that's democracy for you.

4 hours ago, John1012 said:

The days are gone when the UK could get cheap raw matierials from its colonies and then sell them overpriced shoddy goods

3 hours ago, mfd101 said:

All round, I think we're not in for too many nasty surprises in the years ahead, just as we didn't get any of the nasty surprises we were promised would come immediately after a vote to leave.

1 hour ago, gamini said:

The days are gone when the UK could get cheap raw matierials from its colonies and then sell them overpriced shoddy goods

And those days, which were before most of us were born, are relevant to today's world in what way? Dontcha just love people who use any old discussion to take cheap shots at the UK?

2 hours ago, Khun Han said:

All round, I think we're not in for too many nasty surprises in the years ahead, just as we didn't get any of the nasty surprises we were promised would come immediately after a vote to leave.

I think you are right.  I don't expect too many nasty surprises because our expectations are set very low.  I think the only people who will be surprised are maybe those who think we are going to be better off after Brexit.  But we will see as time goes by.  As much as we all shout and bluster about the rights and wrongs, in reality we have no say in what will be agreed.

5 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

No, because Germany is still empire-building. The UK isn't.

Is Germany empire building?

Did YOU type that Han, or did your grandfather hijack your keyboard?

Thanks for making it clear what brexit is all about. As far as I am concerned, the discussion ends here!

If anyone is really interested in understanding the economic implications of Brexit, I would recommend the You Tube discussion below by Adam Posen, a respected economist:

Alternatively, you can read some of the abject nonsense posted by Brexit cheerleaders on here!

43 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

If anyone is really interested in understanding the economic implications of Brexit, I would recommend the You Tube discussion below by Adam Posen, a respected economist:

Alternatively, you can read some of the abject nonsense posted by Brexit cheerleaders on here!

You do realize economists are second to only weather predictors in making lousy predictions, right?

I mean this quite literally. I read one book by an economist who lived next to a girl who read the weather on TV. He used to joke with her when she got it wrong - but he stopped when she found out she was an economist....

This stuff is just opinions and should not be confused with facts.

Hell - half the people here were predicting a win for Remain and Clinton based on the odds at the Bookmakers - thinking they had predicting skills and weren't just balancing their risk out with the odds.

4 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

You do realize economists are second to only weather predictors in making lousy predictions, right?

I mean this quite literally. I read one book by an economist who lived next to a girl who read the weather on TV. He used to joke with her when she got it wrong - but he stopped when she found out she was an economist....

This stuff is just opinions and should not be confused with facts.

Hell - half the people here were predicting a win for Remain and Clinton based on the odds at the Bookmakers - thinking they had predicting skills and weren't just balancing their risk out with the odds.

You really have just reinforced the fact that we are now living in a post-truth World. If you believe something to be true then it is! Trump will make America great again (how’s that going?) and the UK will return to some halcyon day that never existed. 

The UK is still in the EU, so not much has changed. But even in this short time we’ve gone from the fastest growth rate in the EU to the slowest, inflation is above 3% and the currency is at its lowest level in many years ... inward investment has slowed and several major companies are setting up shop in other EU countries. The May Government is in a state of collapse and we have Corbyn ready and willing to take us back to the 1970’s. If it’s nostalgia that you’re after, beware of what you wish for. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2017 at 12:18 PM, mfd101 said:

I chose those countries because they are either Anglophon'ish or part of the commonwealth, so it should be a lot easier to negotiate with due to common history and existing channels of communication. Purely for convenience and speed.