• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Yes?

Anyone who litters should be ashamed. 

That doesn’t mean his agenda is to cause Thais to “lose face”. His agenda appears to be about littering. 

I dont like those who crow how great they are on social media, but I do understand his anger over littering. 

Anyone of any race In any country should be ashamed of themselves of littering at any time.  Put it in a bin or take it home or back to the car.  It is not that hard.  The world and LOS in particular is a disgrace because people do not have self respect or self responsibility.  Throw it away.  Not my job to pick up after myself. Someone else should do it for me.  That is the attitude that is all too common.  As I said.....

It is not hard to do or difficult to comprehend.

Edited by The Deerhunter

17 hours ago, observer90210 said:

The chap is doing his campaign with a good intent, so arguing about that.

But sincerely, how would we appreciate if say a bunch of Chinese tourists started to publicly shame the local population on local issues, in any western town ? Many would not appreciate and the police may even interveine.

Where this fellow got it all wrong is that he should not finger point alone.  A smart move would have been to post the pictures with locals around or perhaps he should have made a commitee and associated Thais in the campaign.

Acting as a lone ranger and shaming Thais in public will not serve the vital cause he is defending.

It will rather attract him trouble, and to some extent,  create hassles and suspicions against  other foreigners established in Thailand or on a visit.

Excellent post.

his tool is litter.... his stick is shame.

but either a brave man, or a stupid one.

The sad fact of the matter is that come the next high tide there will be as much rubbish as ever.

I once walked to a remote(ish) beach on Turatao. What I saw still depresses me 15 years later.

The kingdom is being assailed by junk from the sea.

So very true....when the rubbish is washed ashore here on the beach where I live from the fisherman's trawlers...overwhelming...plastics..used shoes...huge light bulbs tossed into the seas...one day I found a pressure cooker washed ashore...intact....still cooked food inside...sometimes there are trees 15 mts ...the list can go on....to re educate how to respect our seas is not easy...

Sent from my HUAWEI LUA-L21 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

why farangs always want to do something to "better" thailand... its a joke.. this is thai style and piles of rubbish everywhere included... if u dont like it go back to France pierre and do something against the nuclear waste your own country is producing... 

Likely to be accused of "damaging Thailand's image and tourism industry" and therefore deported / banned / maybe worse. He's riding a fine edge between commendably exposing irresponsible behaviour and challenging the "face" of locals, and Ko Phangan is not a good place to openly / aggressively do that. Think of the "M" word. 

16 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Because that is how he feels about littering, however his agenda is about littering.

That is his primary concern, not causing “loss of face”

No, he doesn't, like all tourists, understand Thai culture.

He is trying exactly to make the Thai authorities lose face. Although many  Thai Facebookers will applaud him, the authorities won't. He'll be gone soon.

In fact he makes it worse for expats, just like other tourists tipping barbers etc.

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

No, he doesn't, like all tourists, understand Thai culture.

He is trying exactly to make the Thai authorities lose face. Although many  Thai Facebookers will applaud him, the authorities won't. He'll be gone soon.

In fact he makes it worse for expats, just like other tourists tipping barbers etc.

He is highlighting the blight of litter. 

That is his intention. 

It is ridiculous to say his main intent is to cause Thais to lose face. 

You honestly think he woke up one day and thought, “hmm, how can I cause a loss of face for Thais?”

Edited by Bluespunk

23 minutes ago, Captain_Bob said:

Likely to be accused of "damaging Thailand's image and tourism industry" and therefore deported / banned / maybe worse. He's riding a fine edge between commendably exposing irresponsible behaviour and challenging the "face" of locals, and Ko Phangan is not a good place to openly / aggressively do that. Think of the "M" word. 

"and Ko Phangan is not a good place to openly / aggressively do that" 

That is not a problem since he is actually  on Koh Phi Phi :smile:

Typically  there  are  many  who only  see  his  stand as  something  derogatory  to  Thai.

Many  visitors   are  equally  guilty  of  his  claims. And  worse  in that they  excuse   themselves   by  claiming  they   are  only  complying/conforming  to/  with   local  habits.

Perhaps  that  appeals  to  those  who   feel  free  as  visitors to  abandon   common sense.

20 hours ago, coulson said:

What could they complain about? The lack of p1ss1ng on the street or the hindrance of things like general  order?

Funny, but there is NO shortage of Thais pissing on the streets, so they wouldn't be complaining about that.

5 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Or orderly queues for public transport or banks etc?

Also funny, but Thais are only slightly better in orderly queuing. Getting better, but room for improvement. 

On 11/10/2017 at 8:12 AM, Slip said:

The sad fact of the matter is that come the next high tide there will be as much rubbish as ever.

I once walked to a remote(ish) beach on Turatao. What I saw still depresses me 15 years later.

The kingdom is being assailed by junk from the sea.

Over generalization.

Unless the Thai beer in that picture "comes from the sea", I suspect humans were involved. ?

Edited by SiSePuede419
Typo

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

Funny, but there is NO shortage of Thais pissing on the streets, so they wouldn't be complaining about that.

Also funny, but Thais are only slightly better in orderly queuing. Getting better, but room for improvement. 

The quote was in relation to the Western world. I was not in any way comparing Chinese to Thais.

There's a reason I don't live in China, no comparison.

On 11/10/2017 at 9:35 AM, observer90210 said:

The chap is doing his campaign with a good intent, so arguing about that.

But sincerely, how would we appreciate if say a bunch of Chinese tourists started to publicly shame the local population on local issues, in any western town ? Many would not appreciate and the police may even interveine.

Where this fellow got it all wrong is that he should not finger point alone.  A smart move would have been to post the pictures with locals around or perhaps he should have made a commitee and associated Thais in the campaign.

Acting as a lone ranger and shaming Thais in public will not serve the vital cause he is defending.

It will rather attract him trouble, and to some extent,  create hassles and suspicions against  other foreigners established in Thailand or on a visit.

You make the false assumption he was shaming Thais. On the contrary, much of that trash is from  tourists. The beach where Pierre was is a foreign tourist destination.    Look at the popular  tourists beaches in Thailand such as on Phuket especially Patong, Katha and Karon. In Hua Hin, the tourists leave a trail of filth on the beach from the  the main entry all the way down to Khao Takaib.

48 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

You make the false assumption he was shaming Thais. On the contrary, much of that trash is from  tourists. The beach where Pierre was is a foreign tourist destination.    Look at the popular  tourists beaches in Thailand such as on Phuket especially Patong, Katha and Karon. In Hua Hin, the tourists leave a trail of filth on the beach from the  the main entry all the way down to Khao Takaib.

thank you for your comments. we could further assume that the thrash was washed on the beach after being disposed from ships at large ? we could also assume that it was disposed by unknown people who throw their thrash on other parts of the island ? or it could also be the tourists....the point here is not who threw the garbage but the fact that in Thai culture, their sensivity gets touchy when people point out facts that are pertinent and important but there is a way to do it. As I humbly suggested, it would have been a bit more decent to have Thais join into his public protest as it could have spared their sensivity on a delicate topic. I repeat, for a farang to say in public that Thailand is dirty, will offend them, even though it not directly aimed at thais. Good night.

On 11/10/2017 at 10:34 AM, Machiavelli said:

He keeps at it. He will regret it. Western do gooder trying to make Thais lose face. Western country this and western country that. Getting old. 

And Thais seem to think that how dare you call out our deficiencies. Figure out what you want... And meanwhile, the solicitation  continues.   Please tell me the difference between Pattaya bars and your ridiculous crackdown on homeless people.

14 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Sadly, he look quite at home sitting on a piece of cardboard with a cardboard sign for company.

Yes haha if you would show the pic without headline some would think..another dead-beat farang begger.

But i showed my Thai gf this who cant read English sign.

First she says..him begging? Try to sell trash?

After i explain she say..pun-ya-on, why he dont just throw in bin..?

Then after another 10minutes of thought

He think kon Thai maidee leh?..farang doesnt litter?

And that would be about the typical Thai reaction im guessing

12 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

Yes haha if you would show the pic without headline some would think..another dead-beat farang begger.

But i showed my Thai gf this who cant read English sign.

First she says..him begging? Try to sell trash?

After i explain she say..pun-ya-on, why he dont just throw in bin..?

Then after another 10minutes of thought

He think kon Thai maidee leh?..farang doesnt litter?

And that would be about the typical Thai reaction im guessing

Not made any easier by the lack of rubbish containers around to encourage people to dispose of their rubbish in a proper manner. :sad:

Edited by lvr181
Grammar

So I'll bet most if not all of this rubbish is from Thais and Chinese. How the hell does stopping smoking do anything to change the littering mentality. I've seen Thais standing next to bins and just drop their rubbish on the ground. Pity is they don't see anything wrong in this. Not all I'll admit. I've also see quite a lot parents telling their children to use the bin. This is called educating your children to do the right thing. What is needed is to educate the adults. The ground is not a bin. Khlongs are not bins. The beach isn't a bin etc.