‘Jo Boyscout should have been given CPR first’

rooster59

‘Jo Boyscout should have been given CPR first’

By The Nation

ee55e2ff95ecdc945971ffbb111a8fb7.jpeg

Singer“Jo Boyscout”, who died on Friday night, should have been given cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) within four minutes after he collapsed, the secretary-general of the Emergency Medicine Institute said on Saturday.

Dr Atchariya Paengma was commenting on the tragic death of Thanat Chimthuam, better known as Jo Boyscout, who collapsed shortly after midnight, after singing for about an hour at the Colour Bar Town in Town in Wang Thong Lang district.

A video clip showed that his band members did not provide immediate help after he collapsed but kept joking as they thought Thanat was only acting. They realised that his condition was serious several minutes later. They later called for an ambulance from a rescue foundation, which took about half an hour to reach the scene. During this time, no first aid or CPR was given to the singer. He was seen taking a final gasp and becoming unconscious.

Atchariya said a person who has become unconscious or has suffered a heart attack needed to receive a CPR or chest compression with both hands within four minutes.

Atchariya said when a person faints or stops breathing or shows signs of gasping for breath, people nearby must call 1669 to dispatch an emergency team to help.

While waiting for the team, a CPR must be performed on the person who has collapsed. The CPR-giver must cross the fingers and press both hands in the middle of the chest 5 to 6cms down at 100 to 120 times per minute.

The CPR must be given until the emergency medical team arrives or until the patient is revived, Atchariya added.

If the place has an automated external defibrilliator, it should be used on the patient, Atchariya said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30331388

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-12

1 hour ago, Credo said:

A bar full of people and nobody has a clue that it might be a wise idea to do SOMETHING?   

They were all taking selfies and posting on Facebook jeez give them a break. ?

"I think CPR is on the syllabus for PE at Matayom level.  I have certainly seen it being taught. "

I have worked in schools for nearly 25 years and I have never seen them teach  CPR.   Not even a video about CPR, or basic first aid.   Other than a few of the Filipino and Farang PE teachers who knew basic life-saving techniques like CPR, none of the Thai Teachers knew what to do.

On one occasion when there was a close call in a swimming pool, the Thai teacher didn't even call the rescue services.   He called the Admin (on a Walkie Talkie), who came to check and then called a van to take the student to the hospital.    

I've seen bread raise faster than people responding to an impending tragedy.   

I would think that a lot of people would have felt helpless in this situation, first aid/CPR should be taught in every school and uni and be compulsory where people frequent, staff and management should be certified as having passed an accreditation course every year.

CPR procedures are different now, to what people have always been taught...

so, don't ever be surprised that more people will stand back now,

- afraid of being sued by being later accused of doing it 'wrongly'

Such a real shame that a life was lost, when he could  probably easily have been saved with first aid.

I think the club has the moral responsibility to ensure that first aid people are in attendance when there are many people for a function.

Did that not occur to the organizers?

Did the municipality know there was a function and didn't request first aid people be in attendance?

Or is this not done in Thailand.

Unfortunately CPR is over hyped.

In the case of an electric shock or some other external traumatic experience it can/maybe effective, if applied effectively and the average layman cannot do this.

Industrial guys on the forum know this, especially electrical workers who are trained and retrained regularly. Try doing CPR by yourself for 10 minutes......absolutely knackered by then.

In the case of an underlying medical condition - arterial blockage or similar, don't expect a miracle.

I'm not saying that it should not be applied and taught extensively but don't get your hopes up that you can save everyone.

If ventricular fibrillation is occurring and you don't have a defrib handy.......well let's just say you are going to be very disappointed in the outcome.

1 minute ago, tryasimight said:

In the case of an electric shock or some other external traumatic experience it can/maybe effective, if applied effectively and the average layman cannot do this.

Industrial guys on the forum know this, especially electrical workers who are trained and retrained regularly. Try doing CPR by yourself for 10 minutes......absolutely knackered by then.

In the case of an underlying medical condition - arterial blockage or similar, don't expect a miracle.

I'm not saying that it should not be applied and taught extensively but don't get your hopes up that you can save everyone.

If ventricular fibrillation is occurring and you don't have a defrib handy.......well let's just say you are going to be very disappointed in the outcome.

What you see on TV is very different to real life. Clearing the vomit from the mouth is not pleasant.....and the stink!!!!

Add to this the moral obligation after you have started CPR....when do you decide to stop?  Not a very pleasant situation to be in at all.

4 hours ago, tryasimight said:

can u add links to post CPR morbidity mortality please

12 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Most first aid is overhyped, but it is preferable to death.   It is an initial response to keep a person alive until qualified medical personnel can take over.  

11 hours ago, atyclb said:

can u add links to post CPR morbidity mortality please

Nope, but it has been quoted as being successful between 5 and 50% of cases depending on who the CPR instructor is and their actual experiences. 

Neither of the 2 I have attended were successful unfortunately. Both 'classic' heart attacks I. e.  A blocked artery or whatever in the heart muscle.

An electrocution or drowning may be a very different situation with a higher chance of a good outcome. 

Unfortunately we see too much on television where CPR is performed incorrectly and people think that is the way it is done. 

The classic is the 'stand clear and zap scene' which people think starts the heart.  It doesn't.... It actually stops the heart and in doing so stops fibrillation.  The signal from the brain or the hearts own built in rhythm signal restarts the heart.  Bear in mind I'm just a dumb electrician not a doctor so I can only give my understanding of the concept. 

1 hour ago, tryasimight said:

Nope, but it has been quoted as being successful between 5 and 50% of cases depending on who the CPR instructor is and their actual experiences. 

Neither of the 2 I have attended were successful unfortunately. Both 'classic' heart attacks I. e.  A blocked artery or whatever in the heart muscle.

An electrocution or drowning may be a very different situation with a higher chance of a good outcome. 

Unfortunately we see too much on television where CPR is performed incorrectly and people think that is the way it is done. 

The classic is the 'stand clear and zap scene' which people think starts the heart.  It doesn't.... It actually stops the heart and in doing so stops fibrillation.  The signal from the brain or the hearts own built in rhythm signal restarts the heart.  Bear in mind I'm just a dumb electrician not a doctor so I can only give my understanding of the concept. 

there are indeed few better able to understand electrical conduction than an electrician.

http://cpr.heart.org/AHAECC/CPRAndECC/General/UCM_477263_Cardiac-Arrest-Statistics.jsp