Using passbook to withdraw funds from different bank branch to where account opened

I have a bank account with Krung Thai bank with a smallish balance of about 20,000 baht.  I live in my country but and am currently in Bangkok.  I would like to withdraw the funds from my account using the passbook.  The ATM card for this account expired a while ago.  The branch where I opened the account is in the outskirts of Bangkok and it is quite a distance away so I would prefer not travelling out there unless I absolutely have to.  Am I able to use my passbook to withdraw the remaining funds in the account from a Krung Thai branch near Asoke where I am staying, or do I have to go all the way out to the branch where I opened the account to do this?  I have heard mixed reports of whether it is possible to make a withdrawal using my passbook from a branch other than that in which I opened the account.  Is there anyone with experience of this situation and able to confirm if you can use your passbook to withdraw funds from your account at a different branch to where the account was opened?

With a big caveat that I don't have an acct. at KTB, and have not had one for many years.

At the bank's where I deal, it has always been possible, provided I have my passport with me. Try it; the worst that can happen is that they will say no.  If one branch says no, try another one.

PS. Put on the best clothes and shoes that you have. It shouldn't matter how you are dressed, but in Thailand it often does.

Sure you can. I use a different bank, but rarely ever use the branch where I opened my account. When I use a branch other than the branch where I opened my account, the teller will photocopy my passport and I have to sign the copy. Other than that, there's absolutely no problems. 

If you want to close the account, you may or may not have to go to your home branch. But that's something you can easily find out at any branch.

Do you and to hear something good?( a bit off this particular topic). 

I decided to buy a condo while on holiday in Hua Hin ( live in Pattaya). They wanted a 250,000 Bt. deposit. I already had 50,000 but didn't have my passport with me ( had copy) so I withdtew 50,000 a day for 4 days. 

The deal fell through so I went to lodge the 200,000 back into the same bank I withdrew it from (BKK)......They wanted me to pay a fee of 200 Bt. for the privilidge.

I laughed my way to the TMB and  lodged in there (for free).

SCB allows this if willing to pay the 30 baht fee (I think it is 30...). This irritates me... the money all comes from the same computer data base, just one more way to get ripped off.

Any suggestions for slightly well run bank that doesn't charge  for withdrawls at different bank? I don't want a Thai ATM card.. the money is for retirement visa and is rarely touched.

I tried a few months ago to close a Krung Thai account at a different branch from where it was opened.  That wasn't possible.  However, I was able to withdraw all the money, leaving a balance of zero.  Subsequently the bank will have automatically close the account.

To Emster23:

- if you rarely touch the money, you are probably better off leaving it at SCB.

- Thai Military Bank has no fee for interprovincial transfers, but I have been told that they make up for that by offering lower interest rates on savings accounts and possibly on fixed deposit accounts. I am not using them at present, so can't be more precise than that.

2 hours ago, allane said:

To Emster23:

- if you rarely touch the money, you are probably better off leaving it at SCB.

- Thai Military Bank has no fee for interprovincial transfers, but I have been told that they make up for that by offering lower interest rates on savings accounts and possibly on fixed deposit accounts. I am not using them at present, so can't be more precise than that.

With TMB you need to choose your bank accounts carefully and understand all the features of each account, which can sometimes be quite convoluted.

Their high interest deposits pay some of the best rates on the market. e.g ME by TMB (for Thais only), DreamSaver, No Fixed. Several also have "bonus" elements attached to the interest rate that you need to know how they work

On the other hand their "transaction based" accounts pay some of the worst interest rates around. These accounts have very little or no fees though.

Their marketing department, product roll out, and service for foreigners is poor, so many people don't see those different elements.

So basically if you want high interest go for one of those accounts. If you want to avoid fees choose a transaction based account. Then you also have internet banking for transferring between the different types as needed. Horses for courses :)

To OP,

As others have said you should be able to withdraw from any branch of your bank as long as you have passbook and passport with you. Depending on the bank and/or account it may incur a small fee, but will be significantly below your cost of travelling up country.

If the balance you leave is small, check what level they will start charging monthly fees on it. eg if the balance falls below 5,000 baht they may change a monthly service fee until it goes to zero. In such case you may want to withdraw all your money to stop it being wasted, or leave just above the minimum for the account. Watch also for any annual fees like ATM card that would take you below the minimum in future.

Cheers

Fletch :) 

19 hours ago, Monomial said:

Do this all the time. Never had a problem. Your signature is on your passbook in invisible ink. They check it under a black light. If it matches and you have ID no reason for them to refuse.

No problem, but they will probably charge the "out-of-area" fee (15-20B).   I don't know about the invisible ink thing (sarcasm?), but they'll probably want to see account-holder's passport, make a copy of it, have you sign it, etc.

4 hours ago, fletchsmile said:

To OP,

As others have said you should be able to withdraw from any branch of your bank as long as you have passbook and passport with you. Depending on the bank and/or account it may incur a small fee, but will be significantly below your cost of travelling up country.

If the balance you leave is small, check what level they will start charging monthly fees on it. eg if the balance falls below 5,000 baht they may change a monthly service fee until it goes to zero. In such case you may want to withdraw all your money to stop it being wasted, or leave just above the minimum for the account. Watch also for any annual fees like ATM card that would take you below the minimum in future.

Cheers

Fletch :) 

Thanks a lot to you and everyone else who has replied - some really good, clear info which is much appreciated!

Archived