So whats wrong with your home country

Once Bitten

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, as a generality that's definitely true.

But consider Medicare which is insurance people over 65 can get regardless of health conditions. 

That expense alone in Thailand for older, sicker, not well covered could override all the other "cheap" benefits of living here. 

Just saying. 

It's never that simple. 

Do you want to live forever? Being old sucks, and not in a happy ending sort of way.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I agree with most of what you say about the negative sides  of Farangland, but are Thailand and Farangland really that different?

For goodness sake it is bad enough hearing  farang all the time, no need to invent farangland. It sounds so pathetic

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hey, Robbie's alive. You mean ROBIN Williams. You had me upset for nothing there.

ROBIN was a comedian, so probably crying on the inside. Regardless, a tragedy and a loss to us all.

Yes, even he couldn't find happiness with a western woman, should have tried in LOS.

Yes, even he couldn't find happiness with a western woman, should have tried in LOS

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Euhhhh..... maybe there was a reason for that?

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, as a generality that's definitely true.

But consider Medicare which is insurance people over 65 can get regardless of health conditions. 

That expense alone in Thailand for older, sicker, not well covered could override all the other "cheap" benefits of living here. 

Just saying. 

It's never that simple. 

Of course, you are correct. I would have to fly back to the USA to access Medicare and sometimes that is not an option. It's still my hope that Medicare will be made portable as Social Security is, but that's only talk. Alternatively, I wish Thailand had an inexpensive healthcare scheme that foreigners could buy into. Most of central and south America have plans for foreigners that cost less than 100 USD per month. Indonesia has this, as well.

As for many members, the weather was and is a major factor...can't take any more weeks, or even months, without seeing the sun once!

The women in Thailand are certainly more friendly and affordable than in the West, where only football players and formula 1 drivers can pay for a young good looking lady...as for the leftovers, no matter how ugly they are, they talk about sexual harassment as soon as you ask them what time it is!

Then, there is also the issue of political correctness, which is reaching hysterical (and historical) levels, especially in the US...I like to talk my mind, no matter how un-PC it might be (just read above and below).

Finally, I feel more comfortable in a Buddhist country than in a Muslim country like France, Belgium or the Netherlands, for example...it's not that I don't like mosques, on the contrary, but the call of the muezzin five times a day, or night, in the center of Paris, is a bit too much...

What I don't like about the UK is the government,Brexit and the growing number of nationalistic racists.

I'm content to stay where I am. Main problem is the ever shrinking pound which is likely to recede even further as Brexit time gets closer.

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Robbie Williams is dead? News to me.

Just a snippet,

Williams has reportedly battled mental illnessobesityself-esteem issues, alcoholism, and substance abuse throughout his life.[89][90] He has discussed how his friend Elton John booked him into a clinic to cope with his drug use that emerged from the depression he was experiencing while still in Take That.

I think he means musically.

53 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

I'm sick of people being called bigots, racists , homophobes, islamaphobes and other made up words for having differing opinions

If their  "differing opinion" involves dislike for blacks, muslims, and gay people, they are a bigots.

They aren't made up words, they're words which describe bigotry.

6 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I agree with most of what you say about the negative sides  of Farangland, but are Thailand and Farangland really that different?

I don't get up in LOS every day and wish I'd died in my sleep. In fact I'm happy just thinking where I am, even if I never leave the room all day.

Later, I will be going out to a sit down restaurant where I can get a really nice, big burger with chips and salad for under 200 baht with a drink. Back in the cold place it would be over 200 for a teeny tiny fast food burger with those horrid skinny fries and sugar water in a nasty fast food restaurant with plastic seats and only a sachet of ketchup.

The hotel I stay in is really really nice for 15,000 baht a month all inclusive. Back in the cold place a motel can cost 1,955 a night ( 68,000 a month ), and I never saw a motel cheaper than that there.

55 minutes ago, Gillyflower said:

J.C.  You Brits are getting as bad as the French!!  The only thing they know how to do very well is to whinge, whinge and whinge again.  And I know!  I live with them!  But I still prefer to live in Europe than Thailand.

I wouldn't want to live in LOS.  After 4 months I'm delighted to get back home for various reasons.  The two reasons I choose  Thailand, is for the warmth and it's cheap..  If I had money there are a lot of places I would choose for the winter.

I think another reason (not mentioned above and very understandably so) is that quite a few men have left rather 'sticky' (a nice way of putting it) situations in their home country.

We are never happier than when we are moaning! With regard to costs there are countries in Europe that are cheaper than Thailand.  I was in Bulgaria for much of the summer and it is definitely cheaper and cleaner and  safer,. I will give Spain an extended try next summer. Only probelm with Southern Europe summers are hot but can go downhill rapidy n winter. Varna in Bulgaria on the Black Sea coast, less daily sunshine hours than London in October.  i am one of the casulalties (and at the same time beneficiaries)  as you describe in your last sentence.

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Just a snippet,

Williams has reportedly battled mental illnessobesityself-esteem issues, alcoholism, and substance abuse throughout his life.[89][90] He has discussed how his friend Elton John booked him into a clinic to cope with his drug use that emerged from the depression he was experiencing while still in Take That.

I think he means musically.

I think he meant Robin Williams. I would say Robbie Williams has a very successful career since leaving Take That, but every dog has it's day.

This doesn’t help. £1:34 per liter for fuel. £16 for four drinks in an old pub and a parking fine of £100 for parking on a retail outlet car park outside Curry’s. I was there for three weeks after week two the arthritis started to kick in. I could rabbit on for longer but I’m to busy being happy. I nearly forgot. Pies aren’t what they used to be.

9241A7C3-AD66-4FE6-A363-D6CFFE6F3251.jpeg

Haven't moved to Thailand yet, but my home country is too cold for me, due to a medical condition that is exacerbated by low temperatures.

I can enjoy a pain free life in temperatures above 25 degrees C, temperatures that is not seen here even in summer.

I will go home every summer to visit my kids though.

20 minutes ago, Jools said:

There is no place in the USA that is as inexpensive as Thailand for a retiree. My girlfriend has a normal job and is 22 years younger than I am. I would have to be a multi-millionaire to do as well in the states.

I would disagree as many many people retire to or in the USA who are not rich. Compare living in Bangkok to many towns in Florida, Georgia, the other gulf coast states and even other pretty much year round ( except for maybe 6-8 weeks) warm states like South Carolina etc. A nice home is cheaper in these places compared to Bangkok and most of Pattaya, some places have very low taxes and many groceries are much cheaper as is produce and you could grow your own almost year round. Super cheap breakfast joints and Senior citizen discounts galore!  Cheap cars too. The USA is huge. There are many nice retirement areas. It's so much harder in England. One of the most densely populated places on Earth and nowhere  to really get off the grid and nowhere warm even 6 months of the year. Also very expensive. Most of Europe is similar so many more are forced to move elsewhere and some love it and others feel trapped. Not a great way to live but you sometimes have to make these choices to get by.  

8 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Finally, I feel more comfortable in a Buddhist country than in a Muslim country like France, Belgium or the Netherlands, for example...it's not that I don't like mosques, on the contrary, but the call of the muezzin five times a day, or night, in the center of Paris, is a bit too much...

Belgium, France and the Netherlands aren't Muslim countries. 4-5% Belgium and Netherlands, possibly 6%to 10% in France. You hate the call to prayer, but you're okay with 3am roosters, all night barking of soi dogs, temple bells and loudspeakers at 5 am sharp, village and truck advertising loudspeakers, and school bands droning on all day?

15 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Yes, even he couldn't find happiness with a western woman, should have tried in LOS

Robin probably gave more pleasure to people than every TVF member put together, but why don't you man up and explain what you mean by that?

1 minute ago, duanebigsby said:

Belgium, France and the Netherlands aren't Muslim countries. 4-5% Belgium and Netherlands, possibly 6%to 10% in France. You hate the call to prayer, but you're okay with 3am roosters, all night barking of soi dogs, temple bells and loudspeakers at 5 am sharp, village and truck advertising loudspeakers, and school bands droning on all day?

Damn right. None of those want to put me in jail for speaking to a woman not related to me or flog me for having sex with my girlfriend in the privacy of my own house.

I lived in a Muslim country, before you tell me that's not true.

Some of the reasons I don't want to live permanently in the UK are:

- Winter weather (obviously)

- Billions of Christmas shoppers from Nov 1st-Dec 24th

- Rabid left wingers' agenda (hug a criminal, hug a terrorist, gender neutral bs, etc.)

- Gridlocked roads / road rage

- Rising crime rate

- Political correctness

- Too many beards

However, some things stop me from completely abandoning the UK, such as:

- Family ties

- Autumn colours

- (Real) Sunday roasts

- British countryside

- Fish n Chips

- Country pubs

Ideally I'd like to spend summer in the UK and the rest of the year in Thailand - that's my long term goal.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Damn right. None of those want to put me in jail for speaking to a woman not related to me or flog me for having sex with my girlfriend in the privacy of my own house.

I lived in a Muslim country, before you tell me that's not true.

I've lived in a Muslim country as well. Some have draconian interpretations of Islam,  like Saudi Arabia, while many are much freer and don't have the punishments you quoted.

8 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I would disagree as many many people retire to or in the USA who are not rich. Compare living in Bangkok to many towns in Florida, Georgia, the other gulf coast states and even other pretty much year round ( except for maybe 6-8 weeks) warm states like South Carolina etc. A nice home is cheaper in these places compared to Bangkok and most of Pattaya, some places have very low taxes and many groceries are much cheaper as is produce and you could grow your own almost year round. Super cheap breakfast joints and Senior citizen discounts galore!  Cheap cars too. The USA is huge. There are many nice retirement areas. It's so much harder in England. One of the most densely populated places on Earth and nowhere  to really get off the grid and nowhere warm even 6 months of the year. Also very expensive. Most of Europe is similar so many more are forced to move elsewhere and some love it and others feel trapped. Not a great way to live but you sometimes have to make these choices to get by.  

While I don't want to live in the UK as a retiree, it's not the most densely populated place on earth. Vast areas are uninhabited, because the upper class keep it for themselves, which is why I despise the British class system. Just because great great great granddad exploited the peasants is no reason for them to be a mucky muck now.

4 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

I've lived in a Muslim country as well. Some have draconian interpretations of Islam,  like Saudi Arabia, while many are much freer and don't have the punishments you quoted.

2 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

Not every other foreigner came for the whores..

And not every other woman in Thailand is a whore.

Edited by giddyup

31 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

If you mean he was homosexual, he wasn't. 

BTW, you are not supposed to modify the post you are responding to except to shorten it.