Russia's RT America registers as 'foreign agent' in U.S.

webfact

Russia's RT America registers as 'foreign agent' in U.S.

By Jack Stubbs and Ginger Gibson

tag_reuters.jpg

Margarita Simonyan, editor-in-chief of Russian broadcaster RT, meets with journalists, with the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour seen in the background, in Moscow, Russia, October 17, 2016. REUTERS/Maxim Shemetov

MOSCOW/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Kremlin-backed television station RT America registered Monday with the U.S. Department of Justice as a "foreign agent" in the United States, the outlet's editor in chief said and the Department of Justice confirmed later in the day.

U.S. intelligence agencies said in a report in January that the television station, which broadcasts on cable in the United States, is "Russia's state-run propaganda machine" and that it contributed to the Kremlin’s campaign to interfere with last year's presidential election in favour of Republican Party candidate Donald Trump.

After that report, the Department of Justice insisted that RT America comply with registration requirements under the Foreign Agent Registration Act (FARA). Under the act, RT will be required to disclose financial information.

Moscow has repeatedly denied the allegations of election meddling and said it views the actions against RT as an unfriendly act.

But RT’s editor in chief, Margarita Simonyan, said on Monday that it would comply with the demand in order to avoid further legal action by the U.S. government.

"Between a criminal case and registration, we chose the latter. We congratulate American freedom of speech and all those who still believe in it," Simonyan said on Twitter.

The Department of Justice confirmed that it received a registration from T&R Productions LLC, which has operated studios for RT, hired and paid U.S.-based employees and produced English-language programming.

“Americans have a right to know who is acting in the United States to influence the U.S. government or public on behalf of foreign principals,” said acting Assistant Attorney General Dana Boente.

In October, Twitter announced it would no longer allow advertisements from RT and another Kremlin-backed news organization, citing intelligence that the television station participated in efforts to influence the election.

FARA requires foreign governments, political parties and the lobbyists and public relations firms they hire in the United States to register with the Department of Justice. FARA was first passed in 1938 in the lead up to World War Two in an effort to combat German propaganda efforts.

Foreign government-owned news organizations, including China Daily, the English-language newspaper owned by China's government, register under FARA. The law applies to companies that are owned or controlled by foreign governments.

The United States and Russia are engaged in a back-and-forth over "foreign agent" registration.

Russia's parliament warned on Friday that some U.S. and other foreign media could also be declared "foreign agents" in response to the actions against RT, requiring them to regularly declare full details of their funds, financing and staffing.

U.S. government-sponsored Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL), CNN and Germany's Deutsche Welle could all be affected by the retaliatory measures, a senior Russian lawmaker said earlier on Monday.

While travelling in Asia, Trump touted the relationship between himself and Russia and posted on Twitter that improved relations with the country would "a good thing, not a bad thing."

(Reporting by Jack Stubbs in Moscow and Ginger Gibson in Washington; Editing by Grant McCool and Lisa Shumaker)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-14

I would have been happier if they had just been forced to brand in the U.S. as PPN, Putin Propaganda Network (and Fox News rebranded as well as trump Propaganda Network). 

It's hilarious that Russia is complaining the move they did make assaults the free press. Russia has no free press! Putin made sure of that. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, RichardinHuaHin said:

Seems RT is the only  true news in the USA.  Next all American journalists in Russia will have to register.

In  a world where true has no meaning, a world that trump and Putin are working overtime to create (and dangerously largely succeeding) then yes, my dude, you would be correct. 

Edited by Jingthing

Some would say that RT America had many so called anti dem news reports during the 2016 election.Being a Trump supporter ,I found some of their opinion's to be bias.I researched  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT_America  and to my amazement they were affiliated with the Russian Gov.I stopped watching their news channel on YT, back in 2016.

7 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Easier to just ban this fake news outlet.

I'm guessing that you've never really spent much time watching any of the content on their website (ref. <website>/shows).  IMO, though a lot of it is mundane, I find it much more informative than the typical 30% content and 70% advertising (primarily for pharmaceutical products) produced by the likes of ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC and Fox, which I personally consider much more propagandist in nature.  The only US produced "news" I watch anymore is PBS Newshour.

To each his own I guess but to call something "fake" without any evaluation is more than a bit unfair.

2 hours ago, RichardinHuaHin said:

Seems RT is the only  true news in the USA.  Next all American journalists in Russia will have to register.

interesting enough I watched RT often in the past and for the most part, it seemed fairly unbiased and threw punches towards both the left and right.

Occasionally the reporting would lean a little to the right....

I trust RT news way more than CNN, Fox and other Amercian news outlets.

49 minutes ago, speckio said:

interesting enough I watched RT often in the past and for the most part, it seemed fairly unbiased and threw punches towards both the left and right.

Occasionally the reporting would lean a little to the right....

I trust RT news way more than CNN, Fox and other Amercian news outlets.

I hope for your sake you're Russian or there is something seriously wrong with you.

Russia Today and Fox do have similarities. Russia Today is owned and controlled by the ruling regime. Fox may as well be. 

To add, any "balance" that you might notice on Russia Today is calculated. This is known tactic now of Russia. To pump up existing divisions in American society. It's calculated. They want all democracies to fail and they're actively working to make that happen. They made a lot of progress recently with their goals. 

Edited by Jingthing

The funniest (and saddest) thing is going to be when RT sues the US government, twitter, facebook, etc. for constitutional violations of censorship of the press and freedom of speech and wins while their counterparts in Russia (the US versions) will just have to lump it or leave. :whistling:

Edited by mrwebb8825

2 hours ago, JKfarang said:

I'm guessing that you've never really spent much time watching any of the content on their website (ref. <website>/shows).  IMO, though a lot of it is mundane, I find it much more informative than the typical 30% content and 70% advertising (primarily for pharmaceutical products) produced by the likes of ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC and Fox, which I personally consider much more propagandist in nature.  The only US produced "news" I watch anymore is PBS Newshour.

To each his own I guess but to call something "fake" without any evaluation is more than a bit unfair.

I've watched a fair amount of RT. Being a traveler who's spent months and months traveling in Russian speaking countries.

As mentioned above, it's owned by the Russian government.  LOL. I can only imagine the comments from some here if, say, CNN was owned by the US government. But they'll believe what's published by RT. Crazy.

I'll take 30% content and 70% advertising versus fake news or outright propaganda. I sure hope you agree with that.

1 hour ago, mrwebb8825 said:

The funniest (and saddest) thing is going to be when RT sues the US government, twitter, facebook, etc. for constitutional violations of censorship of the press and freedom of speech and wins while their counterparts in Russia (the US versions) will just have to lump it or leave. :whistling:

They can for sure do that. I wonderful if the reverse is true?:cheesy:

37 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Don't forget Infowars, Zerohedge, Breitbart, etc. LOL

that guy paul joseph watson albeit from infowars makes some same good and hysterical videos about third wave feminism in the west and how men are alienated due to it.

So it THIS what the intelligence agencies have come up with to determine that the Russians meddled in the elections?  My god,  Twitter, Facebook, and RT (all out in the open), isn't what one would consider clandestine interference in elections.  What the hell has Voice of America been doing for the last 50 years?  Maybe Fox News, MSNBC, CNN broadcast in foreign countries, are all propaganda organs for the US government.  Surely should register with the foreign governments where they broadcast. 

While I don't watch much RT, I certainly don't see them as influencing much.  Interesting sometimes to see a different slant on things.  Certainly one can get more international news off RT, China News, Japan News, than on FOX, CNN, and MSNBC broadcast in the USA.  The only thing one gets from the big three in the US is commentary on what they consider the trending top 5 stories of the day, 24 hours a day.  It's NOT news. Sadly it seems like good old news doesn't sell anymore. 

10 hours ago, alocacoc said:

That's dangerous and a bad development for a country who claims to uphold free speech. Who knows where it ends.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It's a great development.  Keeps fake news and propaganda off the airwaves from hostile foreign countries.  Great move.

9 hours ago, Machiavelli said:

And CNN and Fox News are not propaganda?  ROLFMAO!:sleepy:

Fox New is super dodgy.  CNN has some great news.  Though I tend to avoid any shows with panels of "experts".  As for pure reporting of news events?  CNN does quite well.

6 hours ago, Trouble said:

So it THIS what the intelligence agencies have come up with to determine that the Russians meddled in the elections?  My god,  Twitter, Facebook, and RT (all out in the open), isn't what one would consider clandestine interference in elections.  What the hell has Voice of America been doing for the last 50 years?  Maybe Fox News, MSNBC, CNN broadcast in foreign countries, are all propaganda organs for the US government.  Surely should register with the foreign governments where they broadcast. 

While I don't watch much RT, I certainly don't see them as influencing much.  Interesting sometimes to see a different slant on things.  Certainly one can get more international news off RT, China News, Japan News, than on FOX, CNN, and MSNBC broadcast in the USA.  The only thing one gets from the big three in the US is commentary on what they consider the trending top 5 stories of the day, 24 hours a day.  It's NOT news. Sadly it seems like good old news doesn't sell anymore. 

VoA is definitely funded by the US government.  But it's main purpose isn't propaganda.  That's for sure the case with RT.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/voice-of-america/

LEAST BIASED

These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes).  The reporting is factual and usually sourced.  These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased sources.

Factual Reporting: HIGH

Notes: Voice of America (VOA) is a United States government-funded multimedia news source and the official external broadcasting institution of the United States. VOA provides programming for broadcast on radio, TV, and the Internet outside of the U.S., in English and some foreign languages. Very low biased reporting and factual. (8/15/2016)

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/rt-news/

RIGHT-CENTER BIAS

These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation.  See all Right-Center sources.

Factual Reporting: MIXED

Notes: RT, originally Russia Today, is a television network funded by the Russian government. It operates cable and satellite television channels directed to audiences outside of Russia as well as providing Internet content in various languages, including Russian. It has right of center coverage of the USA.  Highly biased toward Russia and occasionally runs Pro-state conspiracy stories. Although coverage is typically right of center when covering USA news they also do promote pro-Russian propaganda. (5/18/2016) Updated (7/5/2017)

More international news off China News and Japan News than CNN International?  Seriously? :cheesy:

Lovely:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/14/us/russia-fake-photos-accusation-trnd/index.html

Russia uses fake photos to accuse US of supporting ISIS

In the posts -- which have now been deleted -- the Russian defense ministry claimed that the US refused to engage ISIS convoys fleeing the city of Abu Kamal in Syria on November 9. Instead, it said, American forces interfered with Russian air operations, allowing ISIS to recover and redeploy.

Time to fight back.

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Fox New is super dodgy.  CNN has some great news.  Though I tend to avoid any shows with panels of "experts".  As for pure reporting of news events?  CNN does quite well.

I assure you CNN is viewed as just more heavily biased US crap........at least try to be subtle about it like the BBC.