Police release details of alleged Phuket illegal immigrant corruption racket

webfact

Police release details of alleged Phuket illegal immigrant corruption racket

The Phuket News

1510635676_1-org.jpg

Of note, Patong Police Station reported 862 immigrants arrested, but only 52 being presented to Phuket Immigration – leaving 810 of those arrested unaccounted for, while Phuket City Police Station arrested 174 immigrants during the period, with all 174 presented to Phuket Immigration – a discrepancy of zero.

The revelation came in a notice issued by Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Col Peerayuth Karajadee to Region 8 Police dated Sunday (Nov 12), but revealed yesterday (Nov 13).

The notice explains that Phuket Provincial Police had learned that 142 illegal immigrants had been arrested but not presented to immigration, thus sparking the fuller probe into all police stations across Phuket.

In learning of the initial 142 foreigners not duly processed came the news that local police were being paid up to B100mn a month in bribes for overstaying their visas in Phuket. 

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/police-release-details-of-alleged-phuket-illegal-immigrant-corruption-racket-64686.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-11-14

4 hours ago, missoura said:

I wonder what some of these overstayers are doing to raise that kind of money each month...

In Pattaya there's a lot more money being paid each month......there's a lot more illegals also....

Big money threading it's way right to the top!

9 hours ago, schlog said:

Nothing. They work in all kind of shops. Shop owner pays 1.5-2k per month to the bibs. It is easy as that.

9 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Most of them are building workers.  They or their employer pays a few thousand baht each time the BiB/Immigration get off their arse and catch them.

At 2k THB per month per illegal worker, it would take 50,000 workers to reach 100M THB. Not sure if that's realistic. A few thousand I could imagine. It would also mean that the Police did a very fine job finding all these guys and adding them to their cash cow milking farm. Hm ok, assuming that this is probably their daily focus, I guess it can check out :)

3 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

At 2k THB per month per illegal worker, it would take 50,000 workers to reach 100M THB. Not sure if that's realistic. A few thousand I could imagine. It would also mean that the Police did a very fine job finding all these guys and adding them to their cash cow milking farm. Hm ok, assuming that this is probably their daily focus, I guess it can check out :)

I think that quoted 100 million Baht is unrealistic for a monthly take.  For sure a 2k regular monthly payment seems to be the usual, but 'irregulars' pay much much more, in the 10 -20 K baht range. Huge money making racket by the BiB.

In most cases the bibs didn't have to find them?

When you open a shop/stall in shopping center xy you get the service of providing staff by the center.

Thai 15k....illegal worker 9k+2k for bibs monthly. Your choice.

All very well organized and easy as that.

Edited by schlog

There's probably a sliding scale

e.g.

Burmese builder 1000 baht

Nepalese salesman 2000 baht

Chinese tour guide 5000 baht

African pimp 10,000 baht

British boiler room boy 20,000 baht

Russian crime syndicate member 50,000 baht

The BIB would certainly not want those on the upper end of the scale to be deported