Tragedy as girl, 6, drowns in a bucket at Kalasin home

webfact

Tragedy as girl, 6, drowns in a bucket at Kalasin home

7.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A six year old girl drowned in a bucket in the bathroom of her Kalasin home in Muang district last night.

It is believed she was trying to retrieve a water dipping container from the half filled bucket and fell in head first.

Her mother was changing in another room preparing to have a shower together.

The little child was left alone for just a few minutes.

Medics performed CPR at the scene but Suphatjira Tharawadee was pronounced dead at Kalasin Hospital.

There were two large black buckets in the bathroom - one was full of water - the other was half full.

The mother found the lifeless body of her child in the half full bucket.

Picture: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-14

This could happen anytime anywhere  as these dustbin size water bins/butts, not buckets (appalling English again) are used in many many Thai bathrooms. I must admit it is not a risk that I would have thought of. The only solution would be advice to only use much smaller bins where it could not happen. If using bigger bins then ensure the lids are on when not in use.

I feel sorry for this family for the loss of the life of their child.

So far on this item there are a few comments that say that this accident was avoidable. I agree, these buckets/bins should not be used, they are filled by hose and it does not cost much to buy a shower fitting and put on the hose and get rid of these buckets/bins altogether

19 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I feel sorry for this family for the loss of the life of their child.

So far on this item there are a few comments that say that this accident was avoidable. I agree, these buckets/bins should not be used, they are filled by hose and it does not cost much to buy a shower fitting and put on the hose and get rid of these buckets/bins altogether

What do you do when the electricity fails for hours at a time and you cannot use water at all?

I have 2 big blue barrels for use in those circumstances.

While a shower is not that expensive, the wiring and the electricity bills that follow can be expensive. Not that many Thais live in western style houses in rural Thailand nor do that many have a western style income to match it.

Try living in rural Thailand and experience how the poorer people live, in many cases it is hand to mouth and many of them are deeply in debt.

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

What do you do when the electricity fails for hours at a time and you cannot use water at all?

While a shower is not that expensive, the wiring and the electricity bills that follow can be expensive. Not that many Thais live in western style houses in rural Thailand nor do that many have a western style income to match it.

Try living in rural Thailand and experience how the poorer people live, in many cases it is hand to mouth and many of them are deeply in debt.

Sorry to pull the plug on you but I have lived in the poor rural area of Isaan for 4 years and we have cold showers which do not require electricity because it is only a shower attachment that can be bought at any Tesco Lotus, Big C or even the local village hardware or general store and that does away with the buckets. If you want to go to the extra expense then you could buy an electric water heater which is what you are talking about, but I am talking about just the fitting that goes on the hose, No electrics involved. So before you come out and tell me where I should live, you should check your facts first

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

This is what I was talking about and it works quite well, you can lock the trigger in the on position and you can adjust the spray and one of the good things about it is that you can hold it in your hand and wash every part of your body and it is cheaper than buying the 2 buckets/bins that they have in the picture.

You should really not be so arrogant because it will show how wrong you are. You say I should try living in rural Thailand. Well Mr I suggest that you check where Ban Hin, Tum Tai, Huai Koeng, Sap Sombun and Hua Na Khum are. but don't bother to appologize for you mistake.

7ee437f8-aa3b-4efd-a658-4226efa88793.jpg

Edited by Russell17au
left something out

2 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Sorry to pull the plug on you but I have lived in the poor rural area of Isaan for 4 years and we have cold showers which do not require electricity because it is only a shower attachment that can be bought at any Tesco Lotus, Big C or even the local village hardware or general store and that does away with the buckets. If you want to go to the extra expense then you could buy an electric water heater which is what you are talking about, but I am talking about just the fitting that goes on the hose, No electrics involved. So before you come out and tell me where I should live, you should check your facts first

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

This is what I was talking about and it works quite well, you can lock the trigger in the on position and you can adjust the spray and one of the good things about it is that you can hold it in your hand and wash every part of your body and it is cheaper than buying the 2 buckets/bins that they have in the picture.

You should really not be so arrogant because it will show how wrong you are. You say I should try living in rural Thailand. Well Mr I suggest that you check where Ban Hin, Tum Tai, Huai Koeng, Sap Sombun and Hua Na Khum are. but don't bother to appologize for you mistake.

Touched a nerve, eh? :-) The poster's point was that without electricity water is not pumped. Short of a roof-top water tank, there is no water flowing to any attachment. Where I was in Galasin, electricity was never 100%, so water was stored in large cisterns. Of course, it was rarely out for more than an hour or two, so simply waiting for it to come back was not a problem. That said, to be honest, I much preferred the bowl dipping from the large cisterns, instead of the shower head.

This tragedy was simply that, a horrible accident. These happen, and will forever happen, no matter how hard we try to make life perfect. The mistake always looks obvious after the fact. Let's just take a moment to appreciate the heavy weight this mom will have to carry for the rest of her life, and go out of our way to smile to our neighbor. We never know who is carrying a weight like this one.

3 minutes ago, timendres said:

This tragedy was simply that, a horrible accident. These happen, and will forever happen, no matter how hard we try to make life perfect. The mistake always looks obvious after the fact. Let's just take a moment to appreciate the heavy weight this mom will have to carry for the rest of her life, and go out of our way to smile to our neighbor. We never know who is carrying a weight like this one.

Very well said Timendres.

12 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Of course I won't bother to apologise as you said I shouldn't but the next time you post on a subject try putting more information into it and then people may understand that you are not as ignorant as you seem to think that I am.

I live in Klong Nam Lai in a small mooban next to the Mae Wong national park and I have sone so for the past 13 years.

My brother in law lives at Bang Bo in Samut Prakan near Bangkok and they still use buckets, as did my FIL before he died and he used to to live in Bang Na about 2 km from the Central Mall.

Please don't bother to apologise for your assumptions and ignorance also. I am used to seeing it on TVF especially from newbies who assume that they know more than anybody else.

11 hours ago, timendres said:

Touched a nerve, eh? :-) The poster's point was that without electricity water is not pumped. Short of a roof-top water tank, there is no water flowing to any attachment. Where I was in Galasin, electricity was never 100%, so water was stored in large cisterns. Of course, it was rarely out for more than an hour or two, so simply waiting for it to come back was not a problem. That said, to be honest, I much preferred the bowl dipping from the large cisterns, instead of the shower head.

In the rural areas of Thailand they always relied on the big concrete tanks that were placed alongside the house to catch the rain before there was water coming through pipes pumped by electricity and before those plastic buckets/bins were ever invented. No electricity, no running water, simple you just picked up a normal bucket and fill it from one of the tanks at the side of the like we do know. There are areas in 1st world countries that still live to this life style because there is not running water or reliable electricity.

This should be a lesson learnt for many people that you make things as safe as possible especially when there are young children around. Yes, this is going to weigh heavy not only on the mother but the whole family. If what I am saying is taken up by just one Thai family and maybe change there way and it saves 1 child's life then all the sarcastic remarks from those who have now idea of what it is like to lose a child in this manner is worth it. To those who do not know any better and just want to throw sarcastic remarks at people then yes my family has lost a child in this manner so you can just get ...............

Edited by Russell17au

12 hours ago, Russell17au said:

and how useful is that when water pressure is low or non existent?

people have the buckets for a reason, to store water.

poor kid

Edited by HooHaa

we use the original concrete water tanks that were at all rural houses, so we do not store water where a child can get access to since the drowning of my 5 year old Thai nephew. These are the type of tank that we use and they have been there since the house was built and we have 3 of them. That is where the water is stored and nearly the whole muban has these, some have updated to the more modern plastic tanks and some have even put the tank in the plumbing system. No one in our muban uses these buckets/bin to store water since the death of our nephew on 11 December 2014 just 3 years ago

water tank.jpg

Edited by Russell17au

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

we use the original concrete water tanks that were at all rural houses, so we do not store water where a child can get access to since the drowning of my 5 year old Thai nephew. These are the type of tank that we use and they have been there since the house was built and we have 3 of them. That is where the water is stored and nearly the whole muban has these, some have updated to the more modern plastic tanks and some have even put the tank in the plumbing system. No one in our muban uses these buckets/bin to store water since the death of our nephew

water tank.jpg

I have 27 of them, 20 interconnected, as during the dry season we often go without any goverment water for 2 or 3 months at a time.

It is quite common out here to have the electricity out for 2 or 3 hours, once or twice a month, hence the need for internal storage tanks too.

When we first moved here 13 years ago I could turn on a hose and it would easily reach 12 metres high. Since then more houses and a couple of resorts have been built but the water piping remains the same. Late last year the moo bans had a borehole dug and a large water tower built to supply water during the dry season.

Perhaps we will have water all year  around from now on.

The PEA electricity supply has not really been upgraded in the last 13 years either. Now we have a 3 phase network that is little used other than for street lighting as there are few people out here with a 3 phase network wiring in their house.

Normal water storage_resize.JPG