Feet and Lower Leg Swelling / Pain

canthai55

Did not eat anything since supper 1800 yesterday. Water only

Complete blood work, Chest X-Ray, EKG.

Tomorrow test for Deep Vein thrombosis.

Results Wed morning.

I neglected to mention that I flew back to LOS on Monday/Tuesday. 12.5 / 3.5 / 1.2 hour flights with waiting time between them 0f 2.5 / 3 hours. I leave my seat every few hours, and move my legs and arms around by the bathroom for 10 minutes or so to keep the blood flowing. Never had feet/leg swelling before, but Doctor thinks this may have been it as all swelling gone, no numbness, no calf pain today.

Ah, new information. I did not even think of DVT but with recent long flight it is indeed a possibility.

Other possibility, since I gather doctor ruled out a heart problem, is what is called venous insufficiency. Fancy way of saying that the blood flow in your veins back to your heart is not as efficient as it once was (causes = overweight and aging). The effecst of this will be more noticeable after prolonged periods of sitting. The same test for DVT ought to be able to tell if this is the case.

I never thought it was relevant, as have taken that same flight for the last 15 years and never an issue. But I am 15 years older, so should have learned not to make assumptions !!!

Just wondering what it will be ... inquiring minds want to know

Properly fitted compression stockings are a very good idea for long flights, especially for older people with circulatory issues.

Until I began using them on a regular basis, there were times I had difficulty getting my shoes back on after very long flights.

Just to re-emphasize; proper fit is essential.  There are several YouTube videos on how to properly measure yourself.

6 hours ago, canthai55 said:

I never thought it was relevant, as have taken that same flight for the last 15 years and never an issue. But I am 15 years older, so should have learned not to make assumptions !!!

Just wondering what it will be ... inquiring minds want to know

This is nature's way of telling you it is time to upgrade yourself to Business or First Class.

Doctor forgot to order Diabetes test. Back for that and cholesteral monday.

Ultra sound - No evicence of deep or superficial vein thrombosis

- Reverse flow in SFV and PoPV suggests valve incompetency

RH leg tested as swelling more acute on that side

Evidence shows that a clot was present, but my body absorbed it. Quite a wake up call.

In laymans terms - wear compression socks on long flights, as dddave recommended above.

Very professional staff, competent Doctor, attentive service, cost under 10K total

7 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

wear compression socks on long flights,

Compression stockings come in several lengths, calf, knee and full leg.  I found knee length the be the best in term of comfort and effectiveness.  Calf length were the most comfortable but did not work as well as the knee length, allowing some swelling.  The full length were very uncomfortable on long flights: hot, tight and cutting in at the tops. 

3 hours ago, DLang said:

Mate had that, had to have his legs amputated below the knee.

Good luck! 

Your mate may have had these symptoms but if he underwent amputation it would have been due to a different cause than the OP's final diagnosis. Most likely arterial insufficiency which is nto relevant to OP's situation.

You need to make blood tests asap and understnad what process are there in your body.

Mayby after that intravenous light therapy will help, I did a year ago at uvlrx.com

The results is great before nobody were able to help me and understand what should I do.

Stay healthy!

No diabetes. Cholesterol excellent. Liver function good.

So just caused by the long flight.

Bought some compression socks from Boots to tide me over. Socks and tube-style compression garments on their way.

Thank you to all for your assistance in this matter.

And a special thank you to Sheryl for her work on this and all other subjects on this Forum

On future flights, wear the compression socks, drink lots of water, no alcohol and get up and walk around every hour or so.  Some people think the "drink lots of water" advice is wrong, but you want to keep your kidneys working well and drinking water helps in this respect.  Plus, you benefit from the exercise in getting up to use the toilet!

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

On future flights, wear the compression socks, drink lots of water, no alcohol and get up and walk around every hour or so.  Some people think the "drink lots of water" advice is wrong, but you want to keep your kidneys working well and drinking water helps in this respect.  Plus, you benefit from the exercise in getting up to use the toilet!

+1 and - if you have no contraindications - take an aspirin just before take off.