Tesco Lotus fires rude cashier who calls customer ‘sh*tty’ in viral video

snoop1130

17 hours ago, stud858 said:

I agree with petermik. Everyone is entitled to let off some steam. Getting sacked is harsh. 

"Everyone is entitled to let off some steam."

Yes, but choosing the right time and place can be the saving grace of the intelligent person!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While we all can see reason in giving people a go, these big supermarkets have a policy for their staff that the customer is always right, and they have got to take it seriously, and put up with crap from equally rude and unfair customers, or get sacked!  I had to do the same when i was 14; customers threatening to bash me up because they found a mouldy block of cheese in the refrigerator, just one minute after i started my shift.. stuff like that.  you just gotta cop it sweet and put up with it, and the young have got to take it as a lesson in character building. Can you imagine what they are going to be like if we accept their tempers all the way to when they become fully adult? they are not going to get better/learn anything unless they get sacked for these offences.

Well, both wrong. The customer did not get, that there is a limit of six bags of sugar per customer and the employee had a bad day and went down very thin ice.

At the end it was not about the sugar but about the ever-hoovering-over-everything face. 

Welcome to Thailand - next! 

15 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I understood your comment even without the superfluous elaboration.

The point was that he wanted to buys goods that he needed to make a living and she was refusing him his right to do that.  The only things that were weird and unreasonable were the cashier's offensively, condescending attitude and your apparent siding more with her than the customer who was 100% in the right.

And I know she was fired, no need for you to point that out.

Well, obviously elaboration was wasted on you as you didn't even grasp that...

So you don't think it was abnormal to stand there arguing with a cashier for 6 1/2 minutes while being videoed? You would do this too? That would explain why you think the customer was behaving well and only the cashier was at fault.

Edited by tropo

5 minutes ago, tropo said:

That would explain why you think the customer was behaving well and only the cashier was at fault.

The cashier might get away with this in a Thai company but not an international one.  

The rights and wrongs do not come into it.  Customer first.

3 hours ago, Here It Is said:

The cashier might get away with this in a Thai company but not an international one.  

The rights and wrongs do not come into it.  Customer first.

Sure, the old "customer is always right" mantra. We all know that's not true, but that wasn't my point. I'm not viewing it from the company's perspective, but my own. I don't think too many of you would stand there arguing over something so trivial for that long.

Tesco has to be seen to do the right thing in order to preserve their good image so that even if the manager thinks the customer was an *ss (which he probably did) and partly responsible for the commotion, the lady gets the boot in the name of business and PR. She was expendable and giving her the boot was an easy way to prop up, or at the very least, save Tesco's image.

I don't think the lady will be losing any sleep over it either as she probably hated working there.

On 17/11/2017 at 6:38 PM, baansgr said:

With 0% unemployment and the cultural ways of Thais, this thing happens a thousand times a day up ad down the country..nothing new, I can see it for real anytime anyplace without difficulty

0% is a fantasy in line with TAT visitor figures. There is no system for registering as unemployed as far as I know, so how do they know that no-one is unemployed?

27 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

0% is a fantasy in line with TAT visitor figures. There is no system for registering as unemployed as far as I know, so how do they know that no-one is unemployed?

Usrd as figure of speach only, not literally 

Staff in the Tesco Local across the road from my Condo couldn't be nicer.

Always friendly and have a laugh.

If I am paying the AIS bill and someone behind in the queue starts to grumble, they quickly say I speak Thai to avoid any unpleasantness occurring.

I would have put her on shelf stacking duty for a month, but that would be like a reward as they only seem to get deliveries twice a week and run out of beer far too often...

:burp:

On 11/18/2017 at 6:27 PM, tropo said:

Well, obviously elaboration was wasted on you as you didn't even grasp that...

So you don't think it was abnormal to stand there arguing with a cashier for 6 1/2 minutes while being videoed? You would do this too? That would explain why you think the customer was behaving well and only the cashier was at fault.

Yes, your elaboration was wasted, I said that I didn't need it, thanks, shame that you couldn't grasp that..

It's the employees obligation to behave well, don't blame the customer for reacting to impertinent rudeness.  I think that your banging on about it so much may be more "abnormal" (your word, not mine) than the innocent customer's reaction.

Edited by Just Weird

On 11/17/2017 at 7:38 PM, baansgr said:

With 0% unemployment and the cultural ways of Thais, this thing happens a thousand times a day up ad down the country..nothing new, I can see it for real anytime anyplace without difficulty

Really, I don't think so. Do you understand Thai language enough to understand what transpired between them or are you just guessing.? Is your culture better? In what sense or what ways are they better? Please we can have a pleasant discussion without using the four letters word ok? ,

1 hour ago, madusa said:

Really, I don't think so. Do you understand Thai language enough to understand what transpired between them or are you just guessing.? Is your culture better? In what sense or what ways are they better? Please we can have a pleasant discussion without using the four letters word ok? ,

Ive worked for a number of companies and honestly can say the vast majority of Thai staff are lazy and rude with no aspirations. Along with the service that is offered in many stores, yes I can comfortably say that. The problem is, Thais feel they are not answerable to anyone so basically don't give a....Facebook and line is the order of the day. My Thai is far from perfect but yes I did understand the conversation after listening a few times.

11 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Yes, your elaboration was wasted, I said that I didn't need it, thanks, shame that you couldn't grasp that..

It's the employees obligation to behave well, don't blame the customer for reacting to impertinent rudeness.  I think that your banging on about it so much may be more "abnormal" (your word, not mine) than the innocent customer's reaction.

Any explanation is wasted on you as you grasp nothing.

You're making a huge deal about nothing, just as he was. You and the obstinate customer are of like mind.

13 hours ago, tropo said:

Any explanation is wasted on you as you grasp nothing.

You're making a huge deal about nothing, just as he was. You and the obstinate customer are of like mind.

The irony is that it is you and your obstinacy making it a big deal, I'm just responding to your comments (you're making it a big deal!).

I'd love to know exactly what it is that you think I am incapable of "grasping"...it wouldn't be your opinion that you think I should be "grasping" would it?

8 hours ago, Just Weird said:

The irony is that it is you and your obstinacy making it a big deal, I'm just responding to your comments (you're making it a big deal!).

I'd love to know exactly what it is that you think I am incapable of "grasping"...it wouldn't be your opinion that you think I should be "grasping" would it?

This is just too weird, Just Weird. If you think it's reasonable to argue with a checkout lady on video for over 6 minutes, you are just as weird as the customer. Considering that, we are both wasting our time here. 

3 hours ago, tropo said:

This is just too weird, Just Weird. If you think it's reasonable to argue with a checkout lady on video for over 6 minutes, you are just as weird as the customer. Considering that, we are both wasting our time here. 

Well, as you keep repeating yourself, you're wasting mine, that's for sure. 

More irony is how much time you have spent, way more than 6 minutes, failing to convince me that the customer's arguing for only 6 minutes is abnormal!

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Well, as you keep repeating yourself, you're wasting mine, that's for sure. 

More irony is how much time you have spent, way more than 6 minutes, failing to convince me that the customer's arguing for only 6 minutes is abnormal!

LOL> No, not 6 minutes, not even close. I'm sorry to hear you type slowly and this is taking up so much of your time.

On 11/17/2017 at 6:38 PM, baansgr said:

Poor service?

Go to h... ... 

Last year female Thai lady customer asked what colours were available for small furniture item. Rude female staff members immediately says 'see deow', meaning one colour / this colour, only.

Customer comes back 15 minutes later and asks different staff member (original staff lady not in sight). Second staff lady says 'let me check', comes back in a few minutes and says 4 colours available and all in stock here now.

Original staff member reappears and customer asks 'why did you tell me only one colour available. Female staffer says 'if you don't like my answer go to another shop'. Supervisor intervenes then store manager appears trying to insist 'it's a misunderstanding'.

Customer stands her ground and demands that the manager explain how it is / could be a misunderstanding.

Customer is told by manager 'better if you go to another branch' and walks away.

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

Poor service?

Go to h... ... 

Last year female Thai lady customer asked what colours were available for small furniture item. Rude female staff members immediately says 'see deow', meaning one colour / this colour, only.

Customer comes back 15 minutes later and asks different staff member (original staff lady not in sight). Second staff lady says 'let me check', comes back in a few minutes and says 4 colours available and all in stock here now.

Original staff member reappears and customer asks 'why did you tell me only one colour available. Female staffer says 'if you don't like my answer go to another shop'. Supervisor intervenes then store manager appears trying to insist 'it's a misunderstanding'.

Customer stands her ground and demands that the manager explain how it is / could be a misunderstanding.

Customer is told by manager 'better if you go to another branch' and walks away.

so tryue. quite often staff dont have a clue despite working there for months if not years. extreme apathy, lazyness mai pen rai, poor/non existent critical thinking. a thai friend has commented that a more or less universal job description is "consuming oxygen"

usually the customers dont argue as they are part of the system that doesn't question or debate

usually it is a waste of time to inject logic and reason with these people because hey dont learn (exceptions noted) 

if its the same tesco express i use in lat krabang, the staff are almost all terrible!!!.

after sunset until 5am the music goes up to LOUD songkran street party noise, and staff members eyes twitch as if under a caffeine/amphetamine overexposure.

they are swearing at each other and about the customers while throwing/kicking packaging about the shop floor and have no fear/shame of being 'caught'

i used to use the night shift as it was better staffed and less busy, now i wait for the morning shift