Krungsri online card use

I wonder if anyone has any details regarding using specifically a Krungsri debit/credit card for purchases online?

My friend already has a Krungsri account with online banking. He wants to be able to use his (current ATM) card for online purchases.

He is in his eighties, so not too sure how the Thai banking system works.

He asked at his local branch for them to issue a debit card, enabled for online use.

The answer that came back was that he had to apply for a credit card and deposit a bond to cover its use – they quoted him a 50K Baht deposit, of which he could use up to 40K Baht on the credit card.

That in itself seems ‘sharp practice’, with 10K Baht he can’t use.

I have three accounts – Bangkok Bank, SCB, Kasikorn, all of which I can use my debit card online.

I suggested he insist at the bank he wants a debit card, although it has since occurred to me perhaps Krungsri don't support Visa/Mastercard on just debit cards?

I have a Krungsri ATM card that can be used as a Visa card in the normal way. It is not a credit card.

When you first get the card you have to go to Krunsgri's "authorised by Visa" website and register the card for Visa use. This is free and quite simple.

Having done that I was very irritated when my card was refused when trying to register and pay for a Thai Spotify subscription, which was the main reason I got the card. I tried many times to process the subscription and I kept getting unhelpful messages telling me that my "card provider is having a bad day". After much thought it finally occurred to me to check the settings of my ATM card on the main Krungsri website, thinking it might be an error with the registered billing address, and there it was revealed to me that the card has a spending limit that is at zero by default when the card is issued. So I set it to a higher amount (several amounts are available) and it all worked fine.

So to use it you need to first register it for Visa use and then remove the zero spending lock. And then it works just fine.

48 minutes ago, Pib said:

And keep in mind "some" companies will not accept a debit card regardless of what bank in whatever country issued it; but they accept credit cards. 

I have only come across this in relation to open-ended transactions like car rental deposits.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I have a Krungsri ATM card that can be used as a Visa card in the normal way. It is not a credit card.

[snipped]

So to use it you need to first register it for Visa use and then remove the zero spending lock. And then it works just fine.

Thanks very much for the detailed info. I will be sure to pass that on to my friend.

9 hours ago, steve187 said:

i tried to use one the other day, was told you have to authorise for online use, did that at the branch still didn't work to book a flight, but could be due to the name on the card being "privileged member"

My Kasikorn visa debit card also gives my name as 'privileged member', I simply use my real name and as I have registered for online use I have no problems.

11 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I have only come across this in relation to open-ended transactions like car rental deposits.

Hilton cannot charge my Thai debit card, I also had a problem with (I think) Nok Air, and Index Living Mall refuse to take debit cards (unsure if it’s limited to Thai debit cards).

There is definitely something “different” with Thai VISA/debit cards, I have written about this before: When authorizing funds (e.g. a hotel deposit), it takes months to clear the authorized amount (i.e. refund the amount that was authorized/debited), this has happened to me a few times now, but as mentioned above, I’ve also had a few vendors come back and say that my card was simply rejected by their system.

My cards are setup for online use, and majority of things do work fine.

12 hours ago, Pib said:

And keep in mind "some" companies will not accept a debit card regardless of what bank in whatever country issued it; but they accept credit cards. 

I’ve never had a problem with my non-Thai debit cards, and like many other Europeans, I’ve never had a credit card.

The omipresent unknown "They" may well ask for the name on the card.  As I am "Privileged Member" on the card too, I simply give my real name.  That works in store, on line and for buying airline tickets with Air Asia and with Bangkok Airways.

The joke for me was that the Bank staff told me not to sign the back of the card in the space provided "For security reasons as someone will then have your signature to copy".

I have not had problems using my Krungsri VISA debit card to buy bitcoin. That is the only online transactions I have tried. Since no one offered a link to register the visa card I googled it, found: https://www.krungsri.com/bank/en/debit-card-online-shopping.html

I tried to register my card and discovered it was already registered. I opened my savings account at the branch in Esplanade Mall they only speak a little English, but are very helpful. The only problems I have had was the ATM's show me as first and middle name. Went to the branch and they told me the account was in my full name as on my passport, the ATM was limited to a certain number of characters. I often spend at the Tesco Lotus Express next door to me. A couple of times their card processor declined my card, I understand it was due to too many purchases at that location in a certain period, I got the cash from the bangkok bank ATM outside and paid cash. I don't believe I was charged the ฿25 Foreign ATM Fee either. I also noticed on the Krungsri site the fee for VISA Debit card was ฿100, but I was charged ฿300, perhaps the additional ฿200 was to register the card and set purchase limit.  

4 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I also noticed on the Krungsri site the fee for VISA Debit card was ฿100, but I was charged ฿300, perhaps the additional ฿200 was to register the card and set purchase limit.  

There's an issuing fee and an annual fee. It all depends on which of the many card types you have.

https://www.krungsri.com/bank/en/PersonalBanking/CardProducts/KrungsriDebitcard/debit-card-fees.html

Registering and setting the purchase limit are both free.

7 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I have not had problems using my Krungsri VISA debit card to buy bitcoin. That is the only online transactions I have tried. Since no one offered a link to register the visa card I googled it, found: https://www.krungsri.com/bank/en/debit-card-online-shopping.html

I tried to register my card and discovered it was already registered. I opened my savings account at the branch in Esplanade Mall they only speak a little English, but are very helpful. The only problems I have had was the ATM's show me as first and middle name. Went to the branch and they told me the account was in my full name as on my passport, the ATM was limited to a certain number of characters. I often spend at the Tesco Lotus Express next door to me. A couple of times their card processor declined my card, I understand it was due to too many purchases at that location in a certain period, I got the cash from the bangkok bank ATM outside and paid cash. I don't believe I was charged the ฿25 Foreign ATM Fee either. I also noticed on the Krungsri site the fee for VISA Debit card was ฿100, but I was charged ฿300, perhaps the additional ฿200 was to register the card and set purchase limit.  

Tried that link ( and thanks for that else I couldn't work out where you go to do it ). Unfortunately looks like I have to go to the bank as it says my date of birth and and passport are wrong (!) in red. I've checked and all the details I entered are correct so...

Yeap, depends on what specific debit card you have....each bank has numerous cards which may come with different annual/replacement fees.  Banks do like to push their more pricey cards simply because they earn a higher annual fee.

3 hours ago, Ooladolla said:

Tried that link ( and thanks for that else I couldn't work out where you go to do it ). Unfortunately looks like I have to go to the bank as it says my date of birth and and passport are wrong (!) in red. I've checked and all the details I entered are correct so...

Sorry, I hope it works out well

When you first get the card you have to go to Krunsgri's "authorised by Visa" website and register the card for Visa use. This is free and quite simple.

Having done that I was very irritated when my card was refused when trying to register and pay for a Thai Spotify subscription, which was the main reason I got the card. I tried many times to process the subscription and I kept getting unhelpful messages telling me that my "card provider is having a bad day". After much thought it finally occurred to me to check the settings of my ATM card on the main Krungsri website, thinking it might be an error with the registered billing address, and there it was revealed to me that the card has a spending limit that is at zero by default when the card is issued. So I set it to a higher amount (several amounts are available) and it all worked fine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Ok, I'm went to my krunsri branch ( where I opened my account ) today. I have the same card as the original poster debit card with Visa written on it, no name only ' privileged member '. I told them that I was unable to register the card online for use as a Visa card. Showed them the error message . They informed me that i cannot use this card for visa purposes example: buying flights, booking hotels. Unable to register it for that . They suggested I get one of their credit cards. Mentioned something about leaving 40,000 baht in the account to avoid fees. I said I'd think about it . Should I go to another branch ( I'll be in Bangkok tomorrow for a few days ) ? Doesn't seem right to me from what others have said on here 

7 hours ago, Ooladolla said:

They informed me that i cannot use this card for visa purposes

I have a Krungsri VISA/debit card as well, so I tried to register it for Verified with VISA and it failed as well (saying wrong ID and account number).

I do vaguely recall that I have previously been unable to use it online, not 100% sure (I generally use my Krungthai VISA/debit cards for everything, online and offline).

I wouldn’t be surprised if Krungsri just doesn’t allow online use of this type of card.

22 minutes ago, lkn said:

I have a Krungsri VISA/debit card as well, so I tried to register it for Verified with VISA and it failed as well (saying wrong ID and account number).

I do vaguely recall that I have previously been unable to use it online, not 100% sure (I generally use my Krungthai VISA/debit cards for everything, online and offline).

I wouldn’t be surprised if Krungsri just doesn’t allow online use of this type of card.

I'll give it a try tomorrow when I check in to my hotel. Pretty sure it won't be accepted. When I asked the bank employees why it says 'visa' then , the answer was " only some business" ?

19 hours ago, Ooladolla said:

Ok, I'm went to my krunsri branch ( where I opened my account ) today. I have the same card as the original poster debit card with Visa written on it, no name only ' privileged member '. I told them that I was unable to register the card online for use as a Visa card. Showed them the error message . They informed me that i cannot use this card for visa purposes example: buying flights, booking hotels. Unable to register it for that . They suggested I get one of their credit cards.

Krungsri have several different types of ATM/debit card. Not all are suitable for online use or use in shops.

https://www.krungsri.com/bank/en/PersonalBanking/CardProducts/KrungsriDebitcard/debit-card-fees.html

Look at the above link and follow the links through for each card type. The details mention whether that particular card can be used with merchants or not. Some cards are specific to some types of account and may not be available if you dont have an account of that type.

As for the "privileged member" thing, yes these cards dont have your own name on them but your name is still linked to the card and the account. So if asked for "cardholder's name" by some online Visa merchant just give your own name as the bank knows it. The electronic verification of the name will succeed.

Krungsri debit chip cards

I have just been speaking to Krungsri call center 1572.

Their facility for shopping on-line was set up in September of this year subject to you registering with 'verified by visa' and changing your spending limit from 0 which is the default.  Before September, on-line shopping was not possible.

Most of the Krungsri debit chip cards can now be used in the same way as Kasikorn, Krungthai, Bangkok Bank, etc.

• Convenient payment of goods and services at shops with visa icon around the world / online payment (Verified by VISA) at the maximum of THB 100,000 / card / day (including cash withdrawal through EDC machines at bank counters and local and international member banks with the visa icon).

Enjoy your shopping.

I have a Krungsri debit card which i would like to use for on line purchases.

I set the authorised for Visa as suggested above. My limit is 0 but when i tried to raise it it asks for my passbook number? What is that? I entered my account number but that wasn't accepted. Where do i get a passbook number?

46 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I have a Krungsri debit card which i would like to use for on line purchases.

I set the authorised for Visa as suggested above. My limit is 0 but when i tried to raise it it asks for my passbook number? What is that? I entered my account number but that wasn't accepted. Where do i get a passbook number?

The passbook number is the serial number (NOT the account number) of your passbook. The reason they ask for this is that anyone could know your account number but only a person in possession of the passbook can know the serial number.

23172765_1953185868041316_49269429003883

(Not my book LOL.)

Archived