rooster59

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

Semantics... this is a foreign forum so pretty sure most people understood the reference

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1011558-Road-safety-measures-to-be-rolled-out-ahead-of-New-Year-holidays#entry12452025

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Christmas also happens to be rather popular, at least in Bkk. Central World has pretty good displays, and people flock there to take selfies with Snoopy, etc.
Of course receiving gifts is quite popular on any occasion.

TO reduce this from happening the law must change to eliminate the number of people riding in the back of a pickup. That can be quite costly since now a van must be used. The additional cost must be pushed onto the consumer. The cost of living will increase. And that is just the beginning of new safety rules with the additional cost to implement.  

3 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

How sad that these young lives  have been ended by a reckless lunatic, who just runs away from the tragedy he has caused, what kind of animal doesn't help injured people?  A modified pickup, an old one at that, being driven at high speed with the weight of many students raised up in the back, the slightest thing would have made the vehicle lose control. Was there not a single policeman to stand up and say, 'NO , let's not let this happen, not this time' ?  No of course not.

Had the anti smoking enforcement been put into road traffic issues these may be reduced. 

Maybe they should have upgraded the safety of passenger transportation vehicles on the roads, rather than running a high speed bullet train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai?  All song taew passenger vehicles should be banned outside of local sois.

Does anyone remember around the time the government tried to ban people riding in the back of pick-ups that they also tried to enforce a strict seatbelt law? 

I was in a taxi one night and the cabbie said I had to wear my seatbelt. Police were checking as there was a new law (or they emphasizing an existing law). That lasted one day. Never heard about it again.

What’s the key to safer roads and fixing most other problems in Thailand? Eradicating corruption. 

30 minutes ago, kensisaket said:

I guess "wounded" is appropriate seeing vehicles here can be considered weapons. 

I was just going to say that 'injured' is usually used in traffic accidents and 'wounded' is more appropriate for gunshot, knife wounds, etc. but I think you have a point.

Thailand would come to a complete standstill if these songteaws were banned. 

But it would be reasonable to restrict their speed to say 50kph (30mph), preferably by physical means since enforcement would be unlikely. 

Perhaps also to ban hanging on to the rear and/or sides/roof, although again the problem would be with enforcement. 

They're almost always used for "local" journeys, and since they frequently stop/start - even on highways such as Sukhumvit between Pattaya/Rayong - so speed restriction wouldn't be too onerous.  

Of course, properly trained drivers would help but is perhaps asking a little too much in the short term.

4 minutes ago, cmiuc said:

Somewhere around this area they had that huge van accident where nobody survived. Shows you where the least amount of traffic control seems at. 

The January wreck you mention was on another road, probably about 20 minutes distant from where this one was. Just coincidence as I am pretty sure the whole nation is a rash of accident hot-spots just waiting to be allowed.

3 minutes ago, william76 said:

The driver probably fled the scene because he was afraid for his life. You never know how the family of the deceased will react and there are lots of weapons in Thailand. 

I guess he will surrender safely in a police station.

More likely they will find him at his mum's house in bahn nork.

It's a fair bet that there will be several more overloaded baht buses seen speeding along that same downhill stretch of Sukhumvit road (with the front tyres hardly in contact with the road) on Monday afternoon, as there are every school day.

Some of them will beep their horn for luck as the speed past the floral tributes.