Co-founder of AC/DC Malcolm Young dies aged 64

rooster59

Co-founder of AC/DC Malcolm Young dies aged 64

acdc.JPG

Malcolm Young, a founding member of the Australian rock band AC/DC, has died, the band announced in a statement on Saturday. Nathan Frandino reports.

LONDON (Reuters) - The co-founder of Australian heavy metal band AC/DC, Malcolm Young, has died, according to a statement on the band's website.

Young, who had been in ill-health for several years, was 64.

He created AC/DC, best known for songs such as Back in Black and Highway to Hell, along with brother Angus.

"With enormous dedication and commitment he was the driving force behind the band. As a guitarist, songwriter and visionary he was a perfectionist and a unique man," Angus said in a statement.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-19

Played at my school dance circa 1974/5. After their first song everyone just stared. I was the only one clapping. Bon Scott said 'there's a fellow that knows his music', I was 16 and very stoned. But, my God what a band, even back then. 

It is sad to hear the passing of an Aussie Icon, doing most of their early work here in OZ. Malcolm has left a lasting legacy that will be hard to be matched. I liked his work which was sung by Bon. RIP.

His brother George passed away 3 weeks ago another great songwriter and performer also intrumental in putting Acca Dacca together.  Two greats from one family in just a month.  They will be belting out some great new stuff upstairs and I'm sure Bon will be around for jam.

Still remember every one singing along to "its a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll" on the school bus. AC-DC played the local gigs back then, great live band. Malcolm a very tight rhythm guitar, the Yongs had a profound influence on Oz rock.

In fact back in the 70s and 80s we didn't need to even hear OS bands as the local ones were all so good. Current generation probably wouldn't even know of a local artist, its pretty much all OS stuff. Yet another industry we let go to rot...

Never heard of AC DC till I was in a Pattaya barbeer on Walking Street and it was being played the way it should be- LOUD. Wonderful.

I'll never forget the words "she told me to come but I was already there" :clap2:.

Young died too young. RIP.

PS, there must be wonderful jam sessions up there with all the greats that have passed in recent years.

2 hours ago, Rancid said:

In fact back in the 70s and 80s we didn't need to even hear OS bands as the local ones were all so good. Current generation probably wouldn't even know of a local artist, its pretty much all OS stuff. Yet another industry we let go to rot...

Best thing out of Australia was ICEHOUSE .

11 minutes ago, tifino said:

Aaaaw! you gotta be Yahoo Serious!! about that

Very serious . Sure AC/DC has a few good songs ( Whole lotta Rosie , Highway to hell ) , but Icehouse has many more ( that I like) , although a different style of music. And when we stay in the 70 to 90's : Flash 'n the pan , even the Minogue sisters :smile: .

With Malcom Young and Rick Parfitt, Rock and Roll has lost the best rhythm guitarists in the genre. I would like to hope both Quo and AC/DC call it a day under their original names, but they do/will insist on carrying on in a diluted form which makes a mockery of what they were...