Most Thais support alcohol sales ban on Buddhist holidays

rooster59

1 hour ago, transam said:

I would of thought the onus was on a retailer to not sell beer to kids wherever their shop was located..

Couldn't agree more. Present an ID card (if in doubt) or don't get what you are asking for. Simple.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Off course they shouldn´t sell alcohol on buddha days. People that can´t accept that, should never enter a buddhist country and even more never try to stay there.

But Muslims will do anything to enter Christian countries and do their own thing...Well don't they...?

56 minutes ago, transam said:

But Muslims will do anything to enter Christian countries and do their own thing...Well don't they...?

I signed my opinion and used the word "should"

What muslims or any other nationality or religion "will" do to get thier way, I have never touched or talked about.

Just don´t need a lot of power drinkers from outside, that can´t accept that alcohol may not be available certain days. I promise you, they won´t die, probaqbly live longer instead.

9 minutes ago, Get Real said:

What muslims or any other nationality or religion "will" do to get thier way, I have never touched or talked about.

Just don´t need a lot of power drinkers from outside, that can´t accept that alcohol may not be available certain days. I promise you, they won´t die, probaqbly live longer instead.

Nothing to do with "power" drinkers...Where I come from anyone, regardless of religion etc, can drink coffee, tea, beer, whatever, 365 days of the year...And why...Because it doesn't matter...We are all free folk.. 

Where did they conduct the poll..... in the temple grounds on a Buddhist day, with the monk standing over them?

Out where I live I think Thai people actually drink MORE on Buddha holidays, because they can't go to the local shop so stock up on boxes of the stuff and stay at home and have a big party!!!!

10 hours ago, KhunMhee said:

Is it really that big of a deal to not go to the pub a few nights a year? I don't think it's an issue at all. Is it the don't drink thing or the someone telling you not to?

For tourist it is saving one year two weeks and invited too by the government and that's incl a full intertainment Pack 

Money is not that easy made and after all the tax increases it's not cheap here any more not on phuket  anyway 

And It is implanted  by a another not elected government I don't know when enough is enough for these people 

Getting all kind of irrational laws by irrational dictators forced down over the head instead of something there sustaine stability. 

It seems like when someone try the elite as they think enforce power to set time back to where there saying is law and the only right way .

There is nothing wrong in stabilizing farm products it's keep prices low for consumers and stable for the farmers so they can unobstructed grow there products with a predictable income. 

Back to the subject it's law like this there do the opposite of stability and therefore needs to be changed but it's too many of this laws to be done over night as too redeem the setbacks of those unelected governments over the years and especially this last one there enforce all and more of this numbs .

So it is too much freedom is to live free under the Democratic law .

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

In the results announced on Saturday, 76.4 per cent of the respondents agreed that beer and liquor do more harm to society than good.

here we go, on down the ultra-conservative path; preview to more extensive bans and non-sensical regulations; the new thailand, the new uglier thailand

3 hours ago, transam said:

Nothing to do with "power" drinkers...Where I come from anyone, regardless of religion etc, can drink coffee, tea, beer, whatever, 365 days of the year...And why...Because it doesn't matter...We are all free folk.. 

Yeah, sure! You are free to drink everyday. I mean you can buy beer or other alcohol for drink the day they not sell. Just takes a little bit of planning. However, I just believe that the regulations that are in place and a country´s religion should be respected. I f you choose to disregard that it´s up to you.

13 hours ago, ezzra said:

They do, because most Thais stock on alcohol way in advance,

god forbid they be without a drink on a holiday, what do you want

them to drink? water???....

As well, you can get that godawful wood alcohol Thai spirit or cat's pee beer no prob from nearly any mom and pops on any day. 

For wine or spirits or decent imported beer you better stock up beforehand.

11 hours ago, Get Real said:

Off course they shouldn´t sell alcohol on buddha days. People that can´t accept that, should never enter a buddhist country and even more never try to stay there.

Why not? Not all Thais are Buddhist. Why should they have other peoples' will imposed on them? Christians in the Middle East don't fast at Ramadan. Neither do many Muslims for that matter.  

8 hours ago, Get Real said:

It's not about that, it's about deciding for yourself.  You miss the point.

5 hours ago, Get Real said:

Yeah, sure! You are free to drink everyday. I mean you can buy beer or other alcohol for drink the day they not sell. Just takes a little bit of planning. However, I just believe that the regulations that are in place and a country´s religion should be respected. I f you choose to disregard that it´s up to you.

If you choose to disregard that not all Thais, tourists and expats are Buddhist and people generally don't like being dictated to, that's up to you. Why would someone coming on holiday want to sit in their hotel rooms in order to enjoy a cocktail or a glass of wine with their meal?  Why should you have to "plan" that?  

10 hours ago, martinhp said:

For tourist it is saving one year two weeks and invited too by the government and that's incl a full intertainment Pack 

Money is not that easy made and after all the tax increases it's not cheap here any more not on phuket  anyway 

And It is implanted  by a another not elected government I don't know when enough is enough for these people 

Getting all kind of irrational laws by irrational dictators forced down over the head instead of something there sustaine stability. 

It seems like when someone try the elite as they think enforce power to set time back to where there saying is law and the only right way .

There is nothing wrong in stabilizing farm products it's keep prices low for consumers and stable for the farmers so they can unobstructed grow there products with a predictable income. 

Back to the subject it's law like this there do the opposite of stability and therefore needs to be changed but it's too many of this laws to be done over night as too redeem the setbacks of those unelected governments over the years and especially this last one there enforce all and more of this numbs .

So it is too much freedom is to live free under the Democratic law .

Not an easy read. But even when the democratic governments are in power it's the same no drinking on Buddha days. If someone saves for a year and 2 days to go for a holiday I am sure 2 days not being totally drunk wont matter. Make those beach days or cultural days and visit places. Kinda seems like everyone here thinks holidays are only about drinking what that type of reply. Cheaper to stay at ones home pub and drink there I would think. 

2 minutes ago, KhunMhee said:

Not an easy read. But even when the democratic governments are in power it's the same no drinking on Buddha days. If someone saves for a year and 2 days to go for a holiday I am sure 2 days not being totally drunk wont matter. Make those beach days or cultural days and visit places. Kinda seems like everyone here thinks holidays are only about drinking what that type of reply. Cheaper to stay at ones home pub and drink there I would think. 

Why would you go on holiday to sit at home?  Not everyone wants to get "totally drunk", they just don't like being told that they can't order a drink with their meal or sitting on a beach.  It's a silly law and makes no sense, not to mention it's bad for businesses that sell alcohol. 

4 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

If you choose to disregard that not all Thais, tourists and expats are Buddhist and people generally don't like being dictated to, that's up to you. Why would someone coming on holiday want to sit in their hotel rooms in order to enjoy a cocktail or a glass of wine with their meal?  Why should you have to "plan" that?  

Again with the holiday rouse? Why do people feel the need to drink every day on holidays? I like to see places as well get a bit of culture when I am on holidays. If your looking to travel just to drink everyday save the flight money and drink in your home pub. No matter if you feel everyone agrees with this there is absolutely nothing you or I can do about it. Why let it twist you up? Stock up if your in dire need of a drink. This is Thailand not some free country, most choices are free here are some are decided for us nothing we can do about it. Either accept it or be upset with something you can not change

4 minutes ago, KhunMhee said:

Again with the holiday rouse? Why do people feel the need to drink every day on holidays? I like to see places as well get a bit of culture when I am on holidays. If your looking to travel just to drink everyday save the flight money and drink in your home pub. No matter if you feel everyone agrees with this there is absolutely nothing you or I can do about it. Why let it twist you up? Stock up if your in dire need of a drink. This is Thailand not some free country, most choices are free here are some are decided for us nothing we can do about it. Either accept it or be upset with something you can not change

It's about choosing for yourself and not being dictated to. I don't think most people feel the need to drink every day on holiday but I think they would prefer to have the choice when they do and when they don't. Why would someone stock up on booze if the only place they could drink it is in a hotel room? Kind of defeats the object.  I'm not in the least bit "upset" about it, I just find silly that people would defend something so stupid.  If people just accepted things they "cannot change", where would the world be?  

1 minute ago, stephen tracy said:

It's about choosing for yourself and not being dictated to. I don't think most people feel the need to drink every day on holiday but I think they would prefer to have the choice when they do and when they don't. Why would someone stock up on booze if the only place they could drink it is in a hotel room? Kind of defeats the object.  I'm not in the least bit "upset" about it, I just find silly that people would defend something so stupid.  If people just accepted things they "cannot change", where would the world be?  

I agree not having the choice for yourself is not nice. But again there is nothing we can do about it as we are not Thai or in a position of power to push this. I learned a long time ago to pick the battles that you can win and that have meaning. Even this is about freedom of choice it would get so twisted as it's also to do with booze. But I find people saying not being able to drink for 1 or two nights on their holiday would ruin it is laughable at best. With all the real crap going on here does missing out on a drink at the local pub on Buddha seem that major? 

43 minutes ago, KhunMhee said:

I agree not having the choice for yourself is not nice. But again there is nothing we can do about it as we are not Thai or in a position of power to push this. I learned a long time ago to pick the battles that you can win and that have meaning. Even this is about freedom of choice it would get so twisted as it's also to do with booze. But I find people saying not being able to drink for 1 or two nights on their holiday would ruin it is laughable at best. With all the real crap going on here does missing out on a drink at the local pub on Buddha seem that major? 

No, it's not mega major, but one time a couple I know came for their honeymoon and stayed at the Oriental. I met them on the terrace for dinner on their first night and they were pretty shocked and pissed off they couldn't order a drink with dinner (and they are not piss-heads).  I think in cases like that there should be a bit of flexibility as the hotel didn't inform them of that when they booked and the room was not cheap. Neither was dinner, even without the wine!

11 hours ago, Get Real said:

So now you are saying all  folk in LOS are Buddhists....?

I come from a Christian country but that country does not control folk from other faiths..Free folk...

34 minutes ago, transam said:

So now you are saying all  folk in LOS are Buddhists....?

I come from a Christian country but that country does not control folk from other faiths..Free folk...

Thailand is considered as a Buddhist country. Never said that it was only buddhist in Thailand. It differes in every country, but they are called by the major religion. As for that I suppose you like a democratic election instead of dictatorship or anarchy? In that case I suppose all the other religions in the name of democracy, have to obey the ban of selling alcohol certain days.

7 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

As I already quoted. Do you want dictatorship, anarchy or democracy? As for all the TV-forum, most people don´t like it like it is now. That there are some different rules in different countries is not being dictated too. Buddhism is also the, by far, major religion in Thailand. That means the biggest one rules in a democracy. Which unfortunately comes down to you and your beer. Just accept it or buy your beer the day before. It has never been somebody saying that you can´t drink the beer you have.

It's not about that, it's about deciding for yourself.  You miss the point.

You can decide! You can buy your beer the day before. No sell, no have to mean no drink. Who said that a bar can´t be closed every sunday or monday. So sad for all people that want´s to drink then.
I guess you missed the point. No selling alcohol, does not mean that you can´t drink it.

Why not? Not all Thais are Buddhist. Why should they have other peoples' will imposed on them? Christians in the Middle East don't fast at Ramadan. Neither do many Muslims for that matter.  

Accept the country you are living or coming to. Otherwise just find a place you like. For all other things read my posts above.

You can decide! You can buy your beer the day before. No sell, no have to mean no drink. Who said that a bar can´t be closed every sunday or monday. So sad for all people that want´s to drink then.
I guess you missed the point. No selling alcohol, does not mean that you can´t drink it.

Why would I want to drink alcohol at home?

As I already quoted. Do you want dictatorship, anarchy or democracy? As for all the TV-forum, most people don´t like it like it is now. That there are some different rules in different countries is not being dictated too. Buddhism is also the, by far, major religion in Thailand. That means the biggest one rules in a democracy. Which unfortunately comes down to you and your beer. Just accept it or buy your beer the day before. It has never been somebody saying that you can´t drink the beer you have.

Thailand is not a democracy. And your concept of it - winner takes all - is not democracy.  What does Buddhism have to do with political systems? What does any of this have to do with choosing when and where you choose to order an alcoholic beverage?