Most Thais support alcohol sales ban on Buddhist holidays

rooster59

8 hours ago, transam said:

Wine is involved with Christianity/ Catholicism, deaths, marriages, births, toasts of respect etc...I just want to know the reason why a glass of vino cannot be sold on a Buddha day....There must be a reason...

Buddha was really quite against alcohol, he called it a poison the clouds the mind.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Buddha was really quite against alcohol, he called it a poison the clouds the mind.

10 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

He was probably right, but he also said this: "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. "

19 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

He was probably right, but he also said this: "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. "

No, he didn't, but it does make for a rather humorous case of irony on those who blindly repeat that internet lie!

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

No, he didn't, but it does make for a rather humorous case of irony on those who blindly repeat that internet lie!

You're totally right, according to this guy, it's a "poor paraphrase". I'm not even sure it deserves to be called a paraphrase, it's quite different: https://fakebuddhaquotes.com/the-endless-round-of-fake-buddha-quotes/

45 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

You're totally right, according to this guy, it's a "poor paraphrase". I'm not even sure it deserves to be called a paraphrase, it's quite different: https://fakebuddhaquotes.com/the-endless-round-of-fake-buddha-quotes/

Quite different indeed, who could even say for sure if that was the original that was poorly phrased?  There are an awful lot of these fake quotes floating around these days, I cant help but wonder who is producing them and why, is it all a joke, a social experiment, attempts to subvert, just an idiot making a mistake?  Who knows?

15 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

I can only speak for myself but I don't view tourists with disdain at all. Why would anyone? I don't think it's whining, I think it's just people pointing out that it's a stupid law that serves no purpose. 

It's a stupid law in your opinion as a Westerner used to different societal norms but it's not a stupid law in the eyes of the Thais and, last I checked, this is their country so their rules apply.

17 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

It's a stupid law in your opinion as a Westerner used to different societal norms but it's not a stupid law in the eyes of the Thais and, last I checked, this is their country so their rules apply.

It seems the ma & pa shops that carry on selling beer think it's a stupid law, if they didn't they wouldn't sell it would they...:stoner:

Just now, transam said:

It seems the ma & pa shops that carry on selling beer think it's a stupid law, if they didn't they wouldn't sell it would they...:stoner:

Must be a really slow day in the boonies if you felt the need to state the obvious.

Of course the law wouldn't be popular with those whose incomes might be impacted by the inability to sell a few beers.

Super poll's survey says most Thais support alcohol sales on buddha days. It doesn't say all

Perhaps you can't see the distinction

5 minutes ago, Thai Ron said:

Must be a really slow day in the boonies if you felt the need to state the obvious.

Of course the law wouldn't be popular with those whose incomes might be impacted by the inability to sell a few beers.

Super poll's survey says most Thais support alcohol sales on buddha days. It doesn't say all

Perhaps you can't see the distinction

So you believe Polls....laugh.gif.96854decc9fdc3bb90d425f58301a53a.gif....You believe local Buddhist folk would vote against Buddhist stuff...laugh.gif.96854decc9fdc3bb90d425f58301a53a.gif

If ma & pa shops are Buddhist folk surely they would follow the rules over making a few quid...?.......

36 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

I wonder what the Christians and Thais of other faiths think about this matter. Why not one rule for the Buddhists who wish to not drink and let everybody else be. 

Sure, same in the West, why prevent Muslims etc from opening their shops on Christmas morning.

1 hour ago, transam said:

So you believe Polls....laugh.gif.96854decc9fdc3bb90d425f58301a53a.gif....You believe local Buddhist folk would vote against Buddhist stuff...laugh.gif.96854decc9fdc3bb90d425f58301a53a.gif

If ma & pa shops are Buddhist folk surely they would follow the rules over making a few quid...?.......

You're not even worth responding to

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

Sure, same in the West, why prevent Muslims etc from opening their shops on Christmas morning.

Really? Christmas day in the UK there is always a corner shop open where I live, be it Iqbal's, Sandeep's or Chris' shop, there's always one. Maybe your home country stops Muslims from opening but mine sure don't.

23 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Eh? Where is there a law in the west about what can open on Christmas morning?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Here, LOL

https://www.gov.uk/trading-hours-for-retailers-the-law

"Rules for large shops in England and Wales

Shops over 280 square metres:

can open on Sundays but only for 6 consecutive hours between 10am and 6pm

must close on Easter Sunday

must close on Christmas Day"

22 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Really? Christmas day in the UK there is always a corner shop open where I live, be it Iqbal's, Sandeep's or Chris' shop, there's always one. Maybe your home country stops Muslims from opening but mine sure don't.

Sure, small shops can open, but what about the likes of Al Fayad, he had to close his shop on Christmas day and Easter Sunday, by law.

Most Thais support alcohol sales ban on Buddhist holidays

On 19/11/2017 at 7:44 AM, rooster59 said:

And 84.2 per cent of the respondents blamed drinking for road accidents, family violence, crimes, quarrels and sexual assaults.

I agree that alcohol is a major factor in all the above.

But, is there any evidence that these things occur less on "holy days" when alcohol sales are banned?

I doubt it.

Then the non-Christian folk should eye non large shops if the dates affect them..I always closed on bank holidays...Was a total waste of time opening cos folk were doing their thing..

BUT, l could always get an Indian slap up meal delivered to my door  at ANY time...

Just now, transam said:

Then the non-Christian folk should eye non large shops if the dates affect them..I always closed on bank holidays...Was a total waste of time opening cos folk were doing their thing..

BUT, l could always get an Indian slap up meal delivered to my door  at ANY time...

And the non-Buddhists in Thailand should eye their alcohol the day before, right?

8 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Sure, small shops can open, but what about the likes of Al Fayad, he had to close his shop on Christmas day and Easter Sunday, by law.

14 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

So?  Plenty of non-Christians own large shops in the UK but all of them are forced to obey the Christian trading law.

Yes, large shops will close. Maybe because if large shops were given the choice between opening on Xmas to make a few extra quid at the expense of their workers, denying them time to be with their families then I'm sure they would. Al-Fayed just so happens to be born in Egypt, so could be a Muslim, his shop is closed because it is large. Had he owned chains of service stations, they'd be open for Xmas day. 

Just now, ZeVonderBearz said:

Yes, large shops will close. Maybe because if large shops were given the choice between opening on Xmas to make a few extra quid at the expense of their workers, denying them time to be with their families then I'm sure they would. Al-Fayed just so happens to be born in Egypt, so could be a Muslim, his shop is closed because it is large. Had he owned chains of service stations, they'd be open for Xmas day. 

What if all the staff are non-Christians?

Here, LOL
https://www.gov.uk/trading-hours-for-retailers-the-law

"Rules for large shops in England and Wales
Shops over 280 square metres:
can open on Sundays but only for 6 consecutive hours between 10am and 6pm
must close on Easter Sunday
must close on Christmas Day"

Where is the law that all shops must close?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app