About to start building - best way to keep my investment safe

My advice would be to spend on the house what you can walk away from comfortably. It's quite feasible to build a comfortable house for less than 1 million baht.

If the OP is talking about a house of 10 - 15 million baht, I have no sympathy for whatever future predicament he gets into.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/19/2017 at 10:13 AM, baneko said:

You may be right although I have a friend from Songkla.

His wife went off the rails so they divorced. He went to court regarding their house.

She said the house was hers and the judge asked her where she got the money. Obviously she could not supply an answer. The property was sold 50/50.

Maybe he just got lucky.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have heard that same story. I have also heard a tale of woe about a 50-50 sale that went awry. The property did not sell for its asking price; after quite some time it was sold for much less. So, the farang got only a fraction of what he had put into the house and lot. Interestingly, the wife and her "brother" still live there.

My advice would be to spend on the house what you can walk away from comfortably. It's quite feasible to build a comfortable house for less than 1 million baht.
If the OP is talking about a house of 10 - 15 million baht, I have no sympathy for whatever future predicament he gets into.

I only plan spending around 2 million. 3 bed 2 bathroom. This will be around 2/5 of current savings in Thailand.

I still own a property in the UK which is paid for and rented. As everyone says dont put all of your eggs in one basket.

I am still working offshore so have an income as Im 45. If I walked away from a 2 Million house and 1 Million land it would not be the end of the world. Although I would like some of the money back if it was feasible.

This is what I consider it safest if you are not married(marriage could affect things differently and more complicated):

I will buy a land on my gf's daughter name and then lease it for 30y on my name at the same time. I design/build a small (I really don't need more than 1 bedroom) modern nice house for not more than 1/2 mil. It will pay off itself in 15 year to compare to rent a room/a cheap house. 

If I lose all in case of unknown reason I won't regret since it did not cost me a fortune.

People who you know them very well change in matter of one night. Never put your whole life/savings at risk.

6 minutes ago, baneko said:

I only plan spending around 2 million. 3 bed 2 bathroom. This will be around 2/5 of current savings in Thailand.

I still own a property in the UK which is paid for and rented. As everyone says dont put all of your eggs in one basket.

I am still working offshore so have an income as Im 45. If I walked away from a 2 Million house and 1 Million land it would not be the end of the world. Although I would like some of the money back if it was feasible.

3 million is almost 75K Sterling at todays XE. Don't forget, build can and more than likely will go over budget. I can say from personal experience that even though the law may be on your side, unless you have an amicable divorce you will get nothing.

2 minutes ago, Foozool said:

This is what I consider it safest if you are not married(marriage could affect things differently and more complicated):

I will buy a land on my gf's daughter name and then lease it for 30y on my name at the same time. I design/build a small (I really don't need more than 1 bedroom) modern nice house for not more than 1/2 mil. It will pay off itself in 15 year to compare to rent a room/a cheap house. 

If I lose all in case of unknown reason I won't regret since it did not cost me a fortune.

People who you know them very well change in matter of one night. Never put your whole life/savings at risk.

I don't think children can lease land to you, you may need to check that.

Edited by baansgr
Is her Daughter an Adult

3 million is almost 75K Sterling at todays XE. Don't forget, build can and more than likely will go over budget. I can say from personal experience that even though the law may be on your side, unless you have an amicable divorce you will get nothing.

I get what your saying although the land was purchased some time ago. At that time the exchange rates were more favorable.

I will try as much as possible to protect my investment as much as I can. Lots of good advice on this thread.

It is an amount I could walk away from and obviously be concerned but not overly.

We have been in a stable relationship for 11yrs. I know that does not mean forever.

I will try to ensure the project runs as close to budget as possible. We are still in the planning stage. No builder or architect as yet.

If your getting on well....your not a cheating bar hopper and relationship is as good as can be, go for it. I didn't bother with any usufructs or leases. I had a lovely house for 9 years bought at 73 THB-Sterling...if I had paid rent every month would have cost me the same. I have no bad feelings even though the law is in my favour to recover the loss....it isn't worth the hassle

Regarding usufructs, I did a similar thing.

If the relationship goes belly up, walk.

My lady is 20+ years younger than me & we have never separated even for one day.

Naturally it is unnecessary to rush into these things. I had been with her for 12 years before we constructed a home.

If your getting on well....your not a cheating bar hopper and relationship is as good as can be, go for it. I didn't bother with any usufructs or leases. I had a lovely house for 9 years bought at 73 THB-Sterling...if I had paid rent every month would have cost me the same. I have no bad feelings even though the law is in my favour to recover the loss....it isn't worth the hassle

I stay in a small village so no bars to hop. I do like a weekend in BKK with the wife when I return from offshore. Your right. Think about rent compared to building. I only beleive if I put in I should get something back.

Regarding usufructs, I did a similar thing.
If the relationship goes belly up, walk.
My lady is 20+ years younger than me & we have never separated even for one day.
Naturally it is unnecessary to rush into these things. I had been with her for 12 years before we constructed a home.

Unfortunately due to work I am one month on and one off I cant be at home constantly. Shes 9yrs younger but very settled currently. I will build but do want some security.

8 minutes ago, baneko said:

Done that for a 2 yrs.....she was fine.

Then go for it and enjoy the house together. There isn't anyway to protect your money.

Anyway to try and circumvent comes unstuck. As said, the law is very fair its just slow but the house can be sold and the funds hidden so even if the law protects you, its impossible to get blood from a stone

7 minutes ago, ToddinChonburi said:

The biggest problem if you get 50 % is who is going to buy your old house.  Nobody thinks about that.  Many Thai wives lose everything after there Farang dies because they can not sell or pay for.

Guess it depends on location. Perhaps another angle to think about as "protecting investment".

Every thai wife married with a farang would be very very disappointed if first u promise to buil a house and then u cancel such a promise. Every single one only except urs! What i think is that u dont even got a Thai wife! 

I do got a Thai wife. Do u got a Farang husband?.....55555

3 hours ago, baneko said:

I stay in a small village so no bars to hop. I do like a weekend in BKK with the wife when I return from offshore. Your right. Think about rent compared to building. I only beleive if I put in I should get something back.

Try Ao Nang Beach, Krabi for a change of scenery. You should enjoy a week there.

Try Ao Nang Beach, Krabi for a change of scenery. You should enjoy a week there.

Hi Bazza

Been to Ao Nang but enjoyed Samui more. I like BKK because lots going on. Had a week in HH this time with the parents which was good. Back in the sticks now which I really enjoy.