Taxi driver escapes burning cab after falling asleep at the wheel

webfact

Taxi driver escapes burning cab after falling asleep at the wheel

3pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A taxi driver had a narrow escape from death after falling asleep at the wheel of his cab in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Chatchai Nanen, 50, said he had just got the cab and was heading to Samut Sakhon when he dozed off.

He hit the edge of the road on the railway bridge on the Bang Khan to Chiang Rak Road in Pathum Thani.

He said he was lucky that he was not knocked unconscious as the cab immediately burst into flames. He was able to get out in time though he suffered head injuries and his tongue was almost severed.

Klong Luang police said that fire services extinguished the blaze in ten minutes. The red Toyota Altis cab was towed away as evidence and they will speak to the driver again to ascertain exactly what happened.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-20

It's easy to fall asleep at the wheel . During the day the hard sun gets me yawning.

At night the lack of sleep. Doesn't have to be drugs or alcohol , trainman34014 ^^^^.

Still it's weird that the cab immediately burst into flames . Nat gas /LPG ?

Edited by BuaBS

9 hours ago, webfact said:

and they will speak to the driver again to ascertain exactly what happened.

I hope they give him time so his " almost severed tongue" can heal properly !!!

Or maybe they'll give him a pencil & paper?

Edited by hotchilli

7 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

May be telling the truth !    Don't think i've ever known another country where so many people fall asleep at the wheel, many caused by drug taking and excess alcohol consumption no doubt.

yes, me too. I am now so used to reading driver doze off or fell asleep  I am beginning to get numb to that kind of news.

7 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

May be telling the truth !    Don't think i've ever known another country where so many people fall asleep at the wheel, many caused by drug taking and excess alcohol consumption no doubt.

Well, they say that Thais can and will sleep anywhere. It's a pity that so many do it while driving, though.