Phuket police scandal stirs fears of bribe-taking nationwide

webfact

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, kaorop said:

Many are, many arent, give the opportunity most people in the world will take the money and run....its in our nature....its the systems that allow it at fault and those with the power to make changes who wont as they are the ones that most benefit from it..

Spot on.

With the nature bit as well, the underlying psychology is interesting, well it is to me, I doubt it would be useful to most folk on TV. 

9 minutes ago, Sid Celery said:

Sure. I just associate with the small minority, it's sufficient for my needs.

So you've sought out the few remaining Thais that are actually honest in a land that you consider the majority to be dishonest and you expect me to believe this nonsense?

Like I said, you're making a monkey out of me.

Just now, Here It Is said:

So you've sought out the few remaining Thais that are actually honest in a land that you consider the majority to be dishonest and you expect me to believe this nonsense?

Like I said, you're making a monkey out of me.

My friend, what you choose to believe is up to you. I neither know nor care what it is.

Like I said - over and out. No more from me on this topic. Good luck.

6 minutes ago, Sid Celery said:

My friend, what you choose to believe is up to you. I neither know nor care what it is.

Like I said - over and out. No more from me on this topic. Good luck.

I reckon one of your Thai friends will rip you off eventually.  Like you said, the majority of them are dishonest without exception.

You can't be that good a judge of character.

11 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

Oh and they are just waking up to this You really mean since it hit the press they may have to

admit it is endemic in the police force that is  corrupt

One could be tempted to consider that corruption and taking bribes does not seem to correlate with  individual financial status, but rather to a phenomena where many  consider it normal as everybody is doing it,  and furtheron,  feel a sense of total impunity from the law.

Edited by observer90210

3 hours ago, webfact said:

He asked the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) to take action based on the NACC Act’s Section 103, which prescribes punishment for people who illegally acquire assets worth more than Bt3,000. At present, he added, no one was being punished under the measure intended to curb bribe-taking.

no-one was being punished...; good job all around; only excuse that could lend credence to the NACC is ''where do we start ?; corruption is everywhere'

1 hour ago, Sid Celery said:

No real surprises here, corruption is a way of life in Thailand, they've been taught well how it's done and it isn't going to change.

Prayuth may make noises off but many people believe that he's been a big-time beneficiary or corruption and illegal activity, as has his family, as have his friends and colleagues, so nothing will happen to stop either one.

The absence of any sanction has been clearly signalled by the fact that those police suspected (and presumably found culpable) have been transferred rather than sacked and prosecuted. The problem the police have is that those near the top who would have to do the sacking and prosecutions, are the same people to whom the money from corruption flowed upwards.

Nothing will change and we'll be back talking about this nonsense in 10 years time. Nobody at the trough is going to deny access to the trough of other people to whom they owe money or favours. 

Thais are just dishonest in my opinion, with very few exceptions, and I don't personally know any of those.

I remember walking down lower Sukhumvit, perhaps twenty years ago. Someone was pointing to some of the less salubrious concerns on the street, Thermae et all, letting me know which was under control of the military and which was under control of the police. That is how it was and this is how it is.

1 hour ago, Sid Celery said:

No real surprises here, corruption is a way of life in Thailand, they've been taught well how it's done and it isn't going to change.

Prayuth may make noises off but many people believe that he's been a big-time beneficiary or corruption and illegal activity, as has his family, as have his friends and colleagues, so nothing will happen to stop either one.

The absence of any sanction has been clearly signalled by the fact that those police suspected (and presumably found culpable) have been transferred rather than sacked and prosecuted. The problem the police have is that those near the top who would have to do the sacking and prosecutions, are the same people to whom the money from corruption flowed upwards.

Nothing will change and we'll be back talking about this nonsense in 10 years time. Nobody at the trough is going to deny access to the trough of other people to whom they owe money or favours. 

Thais are just dishonest in my opinion, with very few exceptions, and I don't personally know any of those.

Well said and sad but true. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Phuket police scandal stirs fears of bribe-taking nationwide

everyone knows the loose boundaries of the police corruption here;

there is no will to address it;

if a military government, (like everyone else, knows about it), but refuses to do anything, then what chance is there that a civilian govt will do anything about it ?

1 hour ago, Here It Is said:

That's not how it's seen in Thai culture, though.  In your culture, yes.  

Ok, ok, ok, let's call it the "Thai culture of dishonesty". Where lies are a form of art and plain stupidity a way of life. Thainess in other words...

Today I feel like I've had it. Told the wife to go and get herself a brain...

Edited by KiChakayan

I have lived in other countries and can assure you that this issue of ‘extortion’ is not simple. Before you think you know the answers there is a lot of information you must know. Don’t call it bad simply because of the word used…extortion. It may not be.

Keeping it simple…a business makes money. A business needs essential services like police and fire. How does a business pay for these services? How much do they pay? How much do the service provider get paid? Once you know this then you can define ‘extortion’ and ‘taxes’.

For example, in the USA it is well laid out…tax dollars pay for services. If the service provider is lowly paid for whatever reason then they will tend to use their power to gain what they think is the amount of money they deserve. About 15 years ago the New Orleans police were paid about $4.95/hour. Talk about corruption. They lead the world in that category.

In one country the police would go business to business collecting money each month. That money was used to pay the police to provide subsequent services. It was a ‘tax’ not extortion since the country had no system.

The bottom line: are the business getting what they paid for? How much are service providers paid? How much does the public pay for the services?  Should they pay more or less? To me that must be managed well. How the money is paid is based on the system implemented. Bad systems normally mean questionable results. (and no system seem to be perfect).

3 minutes ago, ebean001 said:

I have lived in other countries and can assure you that this issue of ‘extortion’ is not simple. Before you think you know the answers there is a lot of information you must know. Don’t call it bad simply because of the word used…extortion. It may not be.

Keeping it simple…a business makes money. A business needs essential services like police and fire. How does a business pay for these services? How much do they pay? How much do the service provider get paid? Once you know this then you can define ‘extortion’ and ‘taxes’.

For example, in the USA it is well laid out…tax dollars pay for services. If the service provider is lowly paid for whatever reason then they will tend to use their power to gain what they think is the amount of money they deserve. About 15 years ago the New Orleans police were paid about $4.95/hour. Talk about corruption. They lead the world in that category.

In one country the police would go business to business collecting money each month. That money was used to pay the police to provide subsequent services. It was a ‘tax’ not extortion since the country had no system.

The bottom line: are the business getting what they paid for? How much are service providers paid? How much does the public pay for the services?  Should they pay more or less? To me that must be managed well. How the money is paid is based on the system implemented. Bad systems normally mean questionable results. (and no system seem to be perfect).

You lost my attention at the word USA. 

Edited by Sid Celery

2 minutes ago, ebean001 said:

How the money is paid is based on the system implemented.  

There is no system there, only unacceptable ancient practices that have grown like noxious weeds and enabled people with power to prey on the masses. 

It's only astonishing to me that they actually let these reports get printed as they must know how stupid they appear to anyone that reads them. My query is why do they have a system in place still where you buy your title-rank? Surely this is a point to start eroding so the positions are earned through merit not bought

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, seajae said:

problem is they dont want to investigate their own in case they are found out, we all know how corrupt they are but the investigations are being hampered by the hierarchy, if they actually removed all the corrupt officers they would need a new police force as most would be gone.

That would go a long way to solving so many of the countries problems.

But you're right, it won't be allowed to happen.

25 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Ok, ok, ok, let's call it the "Thai culture of dishonesty". Where lies are a form of art and plain stupidity a way of life. Thainess in other words...

And something we will never understand and will ever change and nothing will ever change.  

For us foreigners, it's like it or lump it.  

Strangely enough, Johnny Foreigner is only one taking any notice of this news story.  Thais will be taking absolutely no notice whatsoever.  Up to them as it's their culture and their country.

Edited by Here It Is

13 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

I wouldn't live in a country where I had total and utter disdain for the people. Maybe you have had it?

20 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Your wife has been brought up in the culture but you've decided to dismiss her as brainless?  Extremely harsh.

If I made that statement to my wife then I'd feel a huge sense of guilt.  

I couldn't land on these shores and be so dismissive.  Up to you.

29 minutes ago, harrycallahan said:

They need a bribery licensing board to set fair bribe pricing. Of course illegal trading (sex!), workers, land use, opening hours etc has to be paid for, but a business owner has to be left with something for his illegal effort. 

The trouble is you would end up paying them to get a "fair price"!

:smile:

11 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

I wouldn't live in a country where I had total and utter disdain for the people. Maybe you have had it?

An earlier poster reckons the majority of Thais are dishonest without exception, but has a small clique of Thai friends that are honest. 

Not sure why these people came to LOS if that's their attitude.