Did Anyone Know Trink?

4 minutes ago, Denim said:

Saw him drinking in Cowboy once or twice. Never met him and didn't really want to.

But in an age before the internet when nobody even had a television , the evening newpaper he had a column in ( The Bangkok World ? ) was a useful guide to the cities nightlife.

I think I might have seen him there after that too once or twice chatting with Shadow Jack. 

Yes, Bangkok World and then over to the Bangkok Post when the Bangkok Post bought out Bangkok World.

I think he wrote for BW for about 37 years and then for about 20 years for the BP up until 2003 when his column was cancelled.

I think he still did book reviews for the BP after his column was shut down. I never bought newspapers though. I was always more interested in books at that time. I found one of his old BP book reviews from 2005 online here though:

https://thailandfever.com/book_reviews.html#trink

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, george said:

Yes, I knew him well from my time in Bangkok, sometimes near Soi Cowboy, sometimes in the elevator at Bangkok Post. He was sadly missed.

some memories:

I had the feeling he was already fairly old when I first arrived in Bangkok in 1980. Do you remember the shrimp calendars?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Here's an interview with him: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/features/night-prowl-legendary-lechery-bernard-nite-owl-trink/

Interesting story in there about the 10 baht hooker with leprosy.

Sadly he totally lost the plot when he started preaching that you don't get HIV from unprotected sex. I mean how can you have someone saying that in a national newspaper? So irresponsible. And it wasn't just a blip, it was a constant theme. He said use condoms to prevent pregnancy or other STDs, but don't worry about HIV - it's a myth.

He also had some very dubious encounters with underaged girls.

Maybe he was a nice guy in person, but for me he should have been fired from the Post years before he actually was.

Interesting, I didn't know very much about his backstory. Only a little bit about his writing. Below is something that was written about him on his Wikipedia page, sounds a bit conflicted:

Trink was often critical of the city's seamier, sleazier nightlife and always warned foreign men about becoming romantically involved with bar girls, whom he held in low regard.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Trink

Shadow Jack, who seemed pretty close with Trink, was also a pretty, let's say, unusual character. I went in his bar a couple of times. Some pretty bizarre things in there to say the least. I'll leave the sorted details out though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

i used to see him and his lady companion quite often at scala cinema, siam square, never spoke to him.

used to look at his column in the bangkok post, not sure how he got away with it, he simply regurgitated material from other sources, and seemed disproportionately interested in nigerian  scammers, his film reviews were pretty un-insightful. given the written output i saw i'm surprised he was regarded as a journalist/writer. stickman used to rave about him in his column, never understood that either.

My sentiments exactly, spot on.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

i used to see him and his lady companion quite often at scala cinema, siam square, never spoke to him.

used to look at his column in the bangkok post, not sure how he got away with it, he simply regurgitated material from other sources, and seemed disproportionately interested in nigerian  scammers, his film reviews were pretty un-insightful. given the written output i saw i'm surprised he was regarded as a journalist/writer. stickman used to rave about him in his column, never understood that either.

I think Stickman was sort of the Trink replacement. He started it a few years before Trink’s column was cancelled. He probably helped to dull the interest in Trink’s column too because Stick could write whatever he wanted and post whatever photos he wanted without a family-friendly editor looking over his shoulder. 

Can’t say I ever really read Stick much either. For the same reason I never read Trink really; I just did’t need the info. Occasionally I would read a specific excerpt on Stick when a link to something written on that site would come up in a Google search. But that was about it. But Stick was a way for people who didn’t want to have to hunt down a newspaper to be able to read similar content to Trink, but online and for free. 

Stick is still going it seems, but I think there were periods where it stopped flowing and another site called Stickboy appeared as a temporary replacement. There had also been talk that Stick was often being written by various different ghost writers under the one Stick moniker. He seemed to have changed his story a few times too about who was really behind the writing of the Stick site. I don’t know much about it though, I never really delved into it. The site design also looks very eighties and hasn’t ever been revamped. All the information on there also seems pretty pedestrian for someone living in Thailand. Probably it’s more interesting to people living overseas who are missing the Bangkok nightlife scene and want to stay in touch. That’s probably its main target readership.

Edited by HugoFastor
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, HugoFastor said:

Interesting, I didn't know very much about his backstory. Only a little bit about his writing. Below is something that was written about him on his Wikipedia page, sounds a bit conflicted:

Trink was often critical of the city's seamier, sleazier nightlife and always warned foreign men about becoming romantically involved with bar girls, whom he held in low regard.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Trink

Shadow Jack, who seemed pretty close with Trink, was also a pretty, let's say, unusual character. I went in his bar a couple of times. Some pretty bizarre things in there to say the least. I'll leave the sorted details out though.

Come on, man. Don't leave us curious. Some details would be nice. 'Bizarre' can be fun 🙂

7 hours ago, ABCDBKK said:

Yes, he's not looking great in those photos.  He was likely around 70 years old at the time. Looking sweaty, possibly intoxicated, and some fresh blood on the tip of his nose. He made it to age 89 though. So he won the game of life. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1