Phuket police scandal stirs fears of bribe-taking nationwide

webfact

The only thing that needed to be done , which was shelved very quickly was to tackle the RTP and its culture etc. NOW maybe the PM will act on the only agency that uses the law to stifle the public, sort out the Police and the country will breathe a sigh of relief.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

Your wife has been brought up in the culture but you've decided to dismiss her as brainless?  Extremely harsh.

If I made that statement to my wife then I'd feel a huge sense of guilt.  

I couldn't land on these shores and be so dismissive.  Up to you.

You don't know what (who) you are talking about.

7 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

You don't know what (who) you are talking about.

You made the statement that your wife is brainless and that you feel like you've had it, so you tell me.

This is a forum and if you make a statement then expect that it's questioned.  I would never tell my wife to go and get herself a brain but up to you.

Edited by Here It Is

6 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

You made the statement that your wife is brainless and that you feel like you've had it, so you tell me.

This is a forum and if you make a statement then expect that it's questioned.  I would never call my wife brainless but up to you.

You don't know my wife. I don't know yours either, but from what you say she must have a brain.

Just now, KiChakayan said:

You don't know my wife. I don't know yours either, but from what you say she must have a brain.

Rather than prevaricate, please explain.  You can't make a statement then backtrack and put the onus on me.

Why is it that your wife needs to find a brain?

2 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

Rather than prevaricate, please explain.  You can't make a statement then backtrack and put the onus on me.

Why is it that your wife needs to find a brain?

She has a role as the scarecrow in a Wizard of the Oz production?

Just goes to show, the military ousted the previous government for corruption and now under their rule corruption and bribes are worse than ever, with those in power being most corrupt. Says a lot for the morals and ethics from the PM down the scale. Perhaps they should all be charged like Yingluck but that would be a "political witch hunt" wouldn't it. Lets spend money on toys not try and help the farmers !!!!!

2 hours ago, Sid Celery said:

I don't think so, I think in this case there was too much evidence for it to be ignored. A few slaps on the wrist were called for as a sop to public opinion. Always bearing in mind that Thais sometimes think they can get away with corruption because of the dismal track record of prosecutions. All Thais are dishonest in my opinion, everybody thinks that corruption is a terrible thing, except *their* corruption.

My wife and I have been pulled one over and been exploited by certain people, most being her closest family members (whom we are not in contact with anymore, which was her own choice). Yet I find that statement preposterous and generalizing beyond belief. I would absolutely say that the ratio of honest people is a lot lower here compared to my country, but then again even people on welfare in my country get 100k baht a month at worst –their situations can't be compared at all.

That being said, I have met dirt poor people here who would not rob, steal, cheat or lie. I have Thai friends whom I know are neither dishonest nor corrupt.

Edited by Sirbergan
month, not year

So funny I wet my self. It reminds me of the time my lawyer bought a nice leather jacket I said "that looks nice " he said "yes you bought it for the policeman who look after your problem" I was left gob smacked to think that this went on but that was before I discovered this was the norm in Thailand. 5555

I think corruption in Thailand is just more open than some of our home countries. Here you see it in the police, military and government and on street level. It's obvious.

In western countries the corruption is hidden within the government offices and corporations.

It's there but harder to see.

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Where is Article 44 when it is really required? Someone needs to tell PM Prayut and the National Anti-Corruption Commission that the police are involved in corruption. I am sure they would be shocked to hear the righteous RTP as upholders of the law are instead breaking it to steal from others and line their filthy pockets. 

They used Article 44 to fix those sleazebag officials stealing the temple renovation grant money. And that would be peanuts compared to what the cops get their grubby paws on.

But that was "government" money and maybe there is a difference between "government" money and innocent people's money. 

My wife's shop went 200%up in tax all beers and cigarettes went up I don't know exactly how much

all tax on all kind of companies went up similarly so where does you invest money here 

It will take many years to fix after the most corrupt of them all

He have a very big  head but it doesn't work I think he is better as receiving orders than to give .

If the police get them or the government steal them who get anything out of that .

Normally when you pay tax you receive laws to protect benefits for the small as all leases here are paid for but with no laws to protect the investment 

It means when a landowner sell a lease he sell everything over ground and must buy it back 

A free lease is in a time frame not a paid one 

But without laws haw can you claim your right 

So if anybody wish to do anything about all this they need a legal system not article 44 it just make it worse 

Investigating and prosecuting the higher ups on corruption charges would be extremely difficult.

How about just following the money. Many have amassed fortunes in total impunity for years, it's safe to say they haven't used any clever money laundering system. 

Financial audit the <deleted>, seize all assets illegitimally obtained, punish people, banks and complicit lawyers accordingly. That would be a good start.

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

"the public should be able to speak out in public about police misdeeds without being vulnerable to libel suits."

thats going to need a change in the laws,until then ,they are protected by the libel and computer  crimes acts,

but this is also used by Politicians ,and  HiSo's,to cover up their wrong doings,so nothing is going to change soon,

if ever.

regards worgeordie

Those who have the courage to speak out will face much more then just libel suits. I need not go into details.

Police ‘need time’ for probe into Phuket officers - Like about 120 years would be a convenient period.

19 minutes ago, wvavin said:

There is no longer a surprise on this because the whole nation knows Phuket Police are the wealthiest!

Errrr- you may want to check out what the changeover  fees for Chon Buri cops are.

2 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

The government should be onto this issue immediately...but of course, they won't! It should be thoroughly embarrassing for the nation....but it won't be!

My bet is that everyone is wondering why all the fuss...!

My bet is that you're right. And if you knew where all the dishonesty ultimately comes from, you'd understand why nobody seems concerned. What this shows just scratches the surface of the problems the Thais are going to have to face one day, and my guess is we are seeing right now the first few inches of that slippery slope. More before less.

The watchdog Police Watch?  What on earth do you suppose this organization is, and where have they been hiding all this time? Has any organization, in the history of mankind been less effective than this ridiculous organization? 

The police need more time to investigate the police, and there are fears that this is a nationwide issue. News alert! Call in the FBI. A crime has been detected. 

How does one even respond to something like this? The Thai police are known the world over, for being one of the least effective law enforcement agencies on the planet, and by far, one of the most corrupt. And they expect us to take this kind of talk of alarm and concern seriously?

57 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

I think corruption in Thailand is just more open than some of our home countries. Here you see it in the police, military and government and on street level. It's obvious.

In western countries the corruption is hidden within the government offices and corporations.

It's there but harder to see.

Lobbying is the biggest form of institutionalized corruption, at least in the US. And it is legal. All lobbyists should be tried for multiple crimes, and jailed for decades. And all congressmen and senators should be jailed for accepting this graft. It is filthy. Drain the swamp? How many lobbyists, and ex-Wall Street people work within this new administration? More like re-populate the swamp with his own crocodiles. 

It is Mr. Deflection hard at work making sure nobody knows the truth. 

2 minutes ago, Zack61 said:
6 hours ago, webfact said:

In the past week, several police officers have been transferred as a result of the investigation.

That's the problem. Transferred. Not sacked, not prosecuted, not jailed. Just moved to a different trough.

Thailand will not change, It doesn't have what real change needs.

You just could not make this up. As if this is news!

The thuggery, illegal activity, bribes, scams, fraud and extortion from the Phuket (and every other province?) cops have been well known to the dogs in the streets. This has been highlighted here on TV and on news media around the world for years. They are so corrupt and inept and to make the keystone cops look like Seal Team 6.

They had such a notion of entitlement their greed knows no bounds and they fear nothing and nobody. Asking the provincial Governors to investigate is asking the poacher to guard the peasants ... sorry, pheasants! They buy their positions as well. 

If anything at all comes of this it will be for the betterment and good of Thailand as a whole and will show real and genuine concern to tackle such thuggery from those in power. The army can and must do this.

This is their chance....keep the ball rolling, but I fear not. This is probably, most likely, all for public show.