Overcharged For Being a Thai and Too White - a different racism story

TonyClifton

Facts:

I am American.

My wife is Thai.

My son is both Thai and American with both passports and a Thai ID.

My son is enrolled in an English Language School here in Bangkok following the Thai curriculum all in English.

This is his first year at this school and he is in the 4th grade.

I pay for van service to and from the school which covers 7km each way with 11 children in the van daily.

The school billed me for the van service.

The school charges 1000b more per month than the other 10 children.

There are 3 Koreans, 2 Filipinos and 5 other Thais as my son is Thai.

My son has round eyes.

He has white skin.

He's handsome.

The rest of the children are from various Asian countries.  They all have Asian eyes and the only other white children are the Koreans.  Well, nearly white.

Did I mention the van is charging me 1000b more per month than the other children? I have already overpaid without knowing it for the first semester.   My neighbor, the mother of one of Filipino boys told me she pays 2000b.  The school did a breakdown for me today showing me that I am paying 3000b.  My neighbor lives at the same address as we all live in a condo.  There are 6 children who live here, each paying 2000b.

The obvious assumption made by me was that all the children look Asian whereas my son looks a little Thai if you look closely.  

When confronted, the schools head teacher and coordinator did the requisite hummmminna hummina hummina and blamed it on the van driver.  I had my wife call the van driver who also did a bit of a dance before coming up with this explanation:

Your son is new.  

The others were all with us last year and our costs have gone up so we had to charge him 1000b more per month.  

That explanation smelled badly.  I felt the need to press on.  Ignoring the fact that 10 children x 2000b monthly = 20,000b + my boy at 3000b = 23,000b per month.  "So why not charge everyone 3000b" I pressed the wife to ask.  He said they won't do that.  "Ask the rat *$&*# if he is going to charge everyone 3000b next year?" I asked.  Nope, it will still be 2000b.

Not a mathematician and not really liking math much, I forced myself to do the math in my head.  Let's see, times are tough, and it's more expensive but it's just enough to charge me 1000b more and forego and extra 10,000b a month, or 120,000b a year extra if he charges everyone the "current rate."  It still doesn't smell good.

"Tell your husband we will give him a 500b discount if he doesn't like paying 3000b!" said the moron van driver and would be owner of the van service.  Now that was a might Christian thing for him do! Oh, did I mention this was a Christian school based on Christian Morals and the teaching of Christ?  I mention it now.

The school is run under the auspices of the Thai Ministry of Education.  

The joke, is that of the children who pay less than my son, half of them are foriegners who look Asian.  My son is Thai.  

Comments?  I am very curious about how much trouble I can cause the school.  Yes, I'm vindictive and don't like being discriminated against because of my white skin.  Sue me.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

You think too much.

They overcharged you simply because they thought they could get away with it.

Can you not just simply pay 2.000 - put on a straight face, and you may get away with it.

No.

Knowing I have no other way to get him to school except for a Taxi, the rat *$$&0*$%$ suggested we could discontinue service.

Just now, ezzra said:

How about using the service of one of those guys on a motorcycle

who takes a 4-5 of kids to school hanging on like troupe of

monkeys in circus act? he's got to be cheaper than what they

are charging you now....

Only slightly better idea than attaching rockets to him and pointing him in the direction of the school.

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

They overcharged you simply because they thought they could get away with it.

What is not clear, is who "they," are.  It is not clear that the school itself decided to overcharge me.  The van driver/owner is a designation that is murky at best.  

In this country nobody will ever admit any wrongdoing, or even honest mistakes.

They (?) could have quietly "forgotten" about the extra money they asked, not mentioned it again, but no!

You embarrassed them by exposing their fraud, that makes you the bad guy.

Face.....

1 minute ago, oldhippy said:

In this country nobody will ever admit any wrongdoing, or even honest mistakes.

They (?) could have quietly "forgotten" about the extra money they asked, not mentioned it again, but no!

You embarrassed them by exposing their fraud, that makes you the bad guy.

Face.....

Realize, that we are not talking about only Thais.  Thais and Filipinos are part of this.

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

"the children who pay less than my son, half of them are foriegners who look Asian."

Who are the other ones? 

11 children on the van.   My son is Thai.  3 Koreans, 2 Filipinos and the remaining are Thai Children.  All pay 2000b.  My son is the only one considered "new."

6 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

11 children on the van.   My son is Thai.  3 Koreans, 2 Filipinos and the remaining are Thai Children.  All pay 2000b.  My son is the only one considered "new."

So he is not overcharged because he is Thai. You are overcharged, don't know the reason though.

Just now, FritsSikkink said:

So he is not overcharged because he is Thai. You are overcharged, don't know the reason though.

This logic escapes me.  If I am overcharged, it is no different than someone taking food from my children's mouth.  My son is Thai, has a passport and id, but he speaks no Thai and looks like me.  He is an American white boy.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Lawyer up!

It may not get the desired result but this thread will probably be shorter.

Make sure you check the small print when enrolling your boy at his new school BTW.

There's no fine print.  This is just an example of scumbags being the racists we all know they are.

10 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

There's no fine print.  This is just an example of scumbags being the racists we all know they are.

It's xenophobia, not racism.

This understanding will also keep the thread shorter.

All I can hope for is another good-looking, non-asiatic kid from the same condo starts at the same school OR another 100% Thai or otherwise Asiatic kid from the same condo starts at the same school. If either of their parents gets charged 3000 baht, problem solved.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

It's xenophobia, not racism.

This understanding will also keep the thread shorter.

All I can hope for is another good-looking, non-asiatic kid from the same condo starts at the same school OR another 100% Thai or otherwise Asiatic kid from the same condo starts at the same school. If either of their parents gets charged 3000 baht, problem solved.

I hope you realize that your post makes no sense.  They have admitted to overcharging me.  Confirmation is not required, they have admitted their sin.

Take it as a very cheap lesson. For 1000 B per term, you have discovered that :-

The school will nickel and dime and hustle you at any occasion.

When presented with evidence of their wrongdoing, they will deny responsibility, make excuses, shift the blame onto others and most importantly not rectify the situation.

The van driver remains completely loyal to his patron, the school director, and you count for nothing in comparison.

These things are very good to know. Imagine if it were serious like physical abuse.

Take future decisions based on knowledge. Consider what leverage you have.

Edited by Briggsy

Same thing happened to my youngest going to UNI - the private van drivers had some exclusive deal with the UNI to take them to the far end of the closed campus. The van driver charged us 1000 baht more as well saying he’s new, thankfully it was only one term and I forgot about it.

i was tempted to have a shirt made with something sarcastic that he’s better and pays more but thought he’s not a fighter, I did insist he sits in the front seat at all times “vip” seating. My kids don’t speak a word of Thai so I wasn’t worried the driver giving him shit.

Now I wished I paid the SOB in one baht coins each month :)

53 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

This logic escapes me.  If I am overcharged, it is no different than someone taking food from my children's mouth.  My son is Thai, has a passport and id, but he speaks no Thai and looks like me.  He is an American white boy.

So he isn't overcharged for being Thai like you say in the title but because he looks like you OR they actually want to charge new people more OR you wife takes the difference. 

28 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

I hope you realize that your post makes no sense.  They have admitted to overcharging me.  Confirmation is not required, they have admitted their sin.

You really should stick to the facts.  Assuming you're right that you're being overcharged, you have no idea why.  It could be as simple as a new rate for new students.

If they were charging based on "race," it stands to reason that you'd be paying more for other school costs, e.g., tuition/fees.  Is that the case?  Are ALL farang kids being charged more than all other kids?  Have you seen the fees breakdown for all nationalities?  You seem to be overreacting in the extreme. 

1 hour ago, TonyClifton said:

Why conclude he is overcharged because of his skin? As the van driver said, prices have gone up for new customers.

51 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

So he isn't overcharged for being Thai like you say in the title but because he looks like you OR they actually want to charge new people more OR you wife takes the difference. 

He is Thai by document only.  He was born here but lived his life in the USA.  As a result, he speaks no Thai.  

I don't know why some of you aren't getting it.  All the kids in the van are Asian with Asian parents.  My son is the only one with a White father.  I could have said a foreign father, but the other kids also have foreign fathers who are Asian.  This is all about Asians screwing the White Man.

The van driver lamented to my wife how costs are going up.  He isn't using LP, but now is using gas.  So do any of you really believe that even a Thai would not raise prices for anyone except the lone kid with a White father?

10 other children get no increase?  Not this year, and not next year either.  Do any of you really believe he recouped his costs by charging me an extra 1000b a month? That doesn't even make sense for a Thai.  

28 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

He is the only child with a foreign father.  It's simple and obvious.

Your bias is obvious.

Excellent business sense from the guy, only charge more for new kids. In a few years he'll be making 10k more without having to increase his prices for his existing customers.

24 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

He is Thai by document only.  He was born here but lived his life in the USA.  As a result, he speaks no Thai.  

I don't know why some of you aren't getting it.  All the kids in the van are Asian with Asian parents.  My son is the only one with a White father.  I could have said a foreign father, but the other kids also have foreign fathers who are Asian.  This is all about Asians screwing the White Man.

And I don't know why you're not getting it. He is the only new kid, and you received a very reasonable explanation from the van driver.

30 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

10 other children get no increase?  Not this year, and not next year either. ...

And there will be no increase for them or you next year either. However, you will always be paying more than 'last years' kids but take succor from the fact that you won't be paying as much as 'next years' kids.

Do try and keep up.

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

And there will be no increase for them or you next year either. However, you will always be paying more than 'last years' kids but take succor from the fact that you won't be paying as much as 'next years' kids.

Do try and keep up.

Excellent point.

Now if next year the OP does get an increase or new kids get the old price and he the more expensive one, he has a point. Until that time, it is IMO just a baseless rant.