Overcharged For Being a Thai and Too White - a different racism story

TonyClifton

When we were looking for a piece of land some years ago we got an offer for 600000 Bahts near the ILs place. Exorbitant price and they wouldn't drop it. Eventually they sold it to some Thai for 250000. Had one of the best times in LOS, 555555. Same story repeating itself millions on times in LOS. I call it LOM now...

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I however do not feel sorry for you.

Contrary to the vast majority of Thais, you got a decent education at a decent school, and yet you are not capable to think critically. You are a Thai apologist, but you are not different from a Thai basher.

"Thinking critically?"  Do you even know what that means?  The OP doesn't have one shred of evidence that he is being charged more because of the color of his skin.  Yet you jump on his bandwagon like a mindless minion.  That's not thinking critically. 

I suspect something far more innocent and so stereotypically 'Thai' has occurred here... 

Its possible that the overcharge was a mistake and everything which has occurred since is a clumsy back-pedal by the van company which has actually made the issue worse... all in the name of 'saving face'.

---------

Ultimately, it doesn't matter why he is being charged more...  The fact is he is being charged more and that seems unfair and wrong. 

The School 'should' back him up as ultimately the transport is outsourced by them. 

There appears to be no 'reasonable' explanation for the additional charge with the exception of the Ops child being a new student. However, each and every year the transport would be 're-applied' for and the costs updated. I doubt for a second that if the Costs were more that every parent would be faced with the same costs. 

Has the Op contacted the School Administration about this ?

And... If the school are unwilling to address this poor level of treatment I wonder what else they would be unwilling to address when issues arise. 

This is one of the reasons sending a child to school which does not recognize international standards is huge 'no-no' in my book. Its a bit of a leap, but I have to question everything when such simple issues cannot be addressed. 

If the van company act this poorly, do they even have seatbelts for the kids ?

If I was you I would think twice before putting your son in that van again. The driver may treat your son differently now that there is a problem. I would see if there is another way to get to school or perhaps change schools. If they can't even sort this out how are they going to teach your son.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 11/21/2017 at 5:27 AM, TonyClifton said:

Realize, that we are not talking about only Thais.  Thais and Filipinos are part of this.

Don't you realize that overcharging whitey is all part of white privilege?  My wife is Filipina and she gets Thai prices everywhere--she has managed to learn enough Thai and speak it relatively accent-free; as long as the conversation sticks to numbers, colors and the weather she is good to go.

I think most Farangs will not "Front"a Thai because of fear of 'upsetting" the FACE

thing my, brother was always warning me when I had WORDS with Thai workers

<deleted> if they are doing things wrong tell them, correct mistakes at that point not 

not when it costs money,  .......................

7 hours ago, TonyClifton said:

Wasn't your post deleted do do to the anti-semitic remarks that you made? My wife is Thai my son at half Thai, so exactly who are you accusing of being a xenophobe. This goes back to the question of critical thinking or whether any thinking is happening at all

Sent from my USA make America Great Again Motorola mobile phone.

"Wasn't your post deleted do do to the anti-semitic remarks that you made?"

No idea what you're on about.

"My wife is Thai my son at half Thai, so exactly who are you accusing of being a xenophobe."

Does not mean you can't be xenophobe towards other Thai. And looking at your OP, you are.

On 11/21/2017 at 7:40 AM, TonyClifton said:

The van driver lamented to my wife how costs are going up.  He isn't using LP, but now is using gas.  So do any of you really believe that even a Thai would not raise prices for anyone except the lone kid with a White father?

10 other children get no increase?  Not this year, and not next year either.  Do any of you really believe he recouped his costs by charging me an extra 1000b a month? That doesn't even make sense for a Thai.  

Agreed it sounds ridiculous.  Would be nice to use the same logic on the school next year, when tuition will likely be higher.  "Oh please charge me last year's rates, as my kid is not a new student."

A bit more info.  I wrote that there is a bit of doubt who really runs the van service.  The school handbook says it is provided by the school.  When I enrolled him, I paid the school the total tuition including van service for what I thought was the entire year.

They sent back two receipts, one official from the school for the tuition and one blank receipt for the van service.

When I discovered I was being ripped off I called the school to raise some hell.  I finally got the "right hand" Philipino who does all the work between the Thais and Teachers (Head Teacher) and let him know.  He pretended to know nothing.  So off he goes to find the van driver/van owner/company owner.  But the vans have permanent paint on them for the school.  The school owns the vans.

I had my wife call the driver.  When confronted with the discrepancy, he started whispering in Thai to someone else near him.  At the same time, I got a message from the head teacher telling me he went to find the van driver but my wife was already talking to him.

The van driver had to pow-wow with someone else to come up with the NEW excuse, which leads me to believe it was the head teacher and the school is knee deep in this crap and they are trying to blame it on the van driver.  

Next, I get an offer of 2500 x 4 months, not 3000 because "your husband isn't happy so we will offer him a discount."

I have asked the headteacher to put me in touch with the school director.  Crickets.  I'll have to make a trip out there and confront these bastards FACE to face.

2 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

A bit more info.  I wrote that there is a bit of doubt who really runs the van service.  The school handbook says it is provided by the school.  When I enrolled him, I paid the school the total tuition including van service for what I thought was the entire year.

They sent back two receipts, one official from the school for the tuition and one blank receipt for the van service.

When I discovered I was being ripped off I called the school to raise some hell.  I finally got the "right hand" Philipino who does all the work between the Thais and Teachers (Head Teacher) and let him know.  He pretended to know nothing.  So off he goes to find the van driver/van owner/company owner.  But the vans have permanent paint on them for the school.  The school owns the vans.

I had my wife call the driver.  When confronted with the discrepancy, he started whispering in Thai to someone else near him.  At the same time, I got a message from the head teacher telling me he went to find the van driver but my wife was already talking to him.

The van driver had to pow-wow with someone else to come up with the NEW excuse, which leads me to believe it was the head teacher and the school is knee deep in this crap and they are trying to blame it on the van driver.  

Next, I get an offer of 2500 x 4 months, not 3000 because "your husband isn't happy so we will offer him a discount."

I have asked the headteacher to put me in touch with the school director.  Crickets.  I'll have to make a trip out there and confront these bastards FACE to face.

Calm down, man.  I read that you were pulling the boy out of school so why you need confrontation.  You might get hurt.

36 minutes ago, OldSiamHand said:

Agreed it sounds ridiculous.  Would be nice to use the same logic on the school next year, when tuition will likely be higher.  "Oh please charge me last year's rates, as my kid is not a new student."

Of course, it's ridiculous.  We don't give these people credit for being clever, but for being greedy, we give them lots of credit.  Would a Thai leave 10,000b extra a month for the service if the charge was legitimate at 3000b?  He or the school stand to make 1/3 more profit if they charge everyone 3000b since gasoline is expensive and they no longer use LP.  

But no, they are happy with 1000b more a month.  That seems to cover all their expenses.  Now what if I say F off and take him off the service?  Will they now run in the red?

2 minutes ago, GuiseppeD said:

Calm down, man.  I read that you were pulling the boy out of school so why you need confrontation.  You might get hurt.

Hurt?  I think not.  This is a Christian school, run by 7th Day Adventists.  I want to know from the director himself how it fits their handbook claiming the teaching of Christian morality.  

I have already asked the headteacher to explain to me if Christ would approve.  Crickets.

Just now, TonyClifton said:

Hurt?  I think not.  This is a Christian school, run by 7th Day Adventists.  I want to know from the director himself how it fits their handbook claiming the teaching of Christian morality.  

I have already asked the headteacher to explain to me if Christ would approve.  Crickets.

But you said you were pulling the boy out of school and going elsewhere.  You'll give yourself a heart attack with all this venom in your life.  Chill, bro.

5 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

The Thai driver probably not a 7th Day Adventist.  You'll find out if he hits you with a wheel brace for causing big problem for Thai or gives your son trouble.  You should chill, bro.

2 minutes ago, GuiseppeD said:

But you said you were pulling the boy out of school and going elsewhere.  You'll give yourself a heart attack with all this venom in your life.  Chill, bro.

I said I am now looking at other schools.  It is likely I will move him as I am not impressed by the teaching, nor am I impressed by the communication between parents and school.  In more ways than one, they run this school like some third-world sh*$$hole.  

With that in mind, my son likes it there and he has friends, but some of those friend's parents have already made clear that if I find a better school they are ready to vote with their wallets as well.

You see, as a Jew, I feel the need to teach the people at the school what morality and fairness look like.  While I may hurt them in the wallet by having others go with me, they will hopefully learn and seek solace in scripture while professing their sins to Jesus on Sunday.

1 minute ago, GuiseppeD said:

The Thai driver probably not a 7th Day Adventist.  You'll find out if he hits you with a wheel brace for causing big problem for Thai or gives your son trouble.  You should chill, bro.

It is still not clear what stake the driver has in all of this.  I think my issue is with the school and ultimately it is whether or not the service is outsourced or not.  The school handbook clearly states that the school provides this service.  I thought I put a picture of the handbook in here this morning.  The driver didn't come up with that bullshit about being new, that had to have come from the headteacher.  So my beef is with the good Christians, those good moral Christians who run the school.  

And yet everyone tells me to move on.  Well, I am still being disrespected by a higher charge.  I suppose I should ignore that too?

3 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

You see, as a Jew, I feel the need to teach the people at the school what morality and fairness look like.  While I may hurt them in the wallet by having others go with me, they will hopefully learn and seek solace in scripture while professing their sins to Jesus on Sunday.

I can foretell some serious trouble for you if you carry on like this, bro.  Being a Jew has nothing to do with it.  And I can tell you that I have seen the Thais get angry and serious hurt people on many occasions if you want to go down this route.  Your family will be in danger but you might have heart attack for stroke first, not sure which will happen first.

Calm down and move on is my best advise.

11 minutes ago, GuiseppeD said:

I can foretell some serious trouble for you if you carry on like this, bro.  Being a Jew has nothing to do with it.  And I can tell you that I have seen the Thais get angry and serious hurt people on many occasions if you want to go down this route.  Your family will be in danger but you might have heart attack for stroke first, not sure which will happen first.

Calm down and move on is my best advise.

It's good advice, but we will be taking our money with us.  In the end, it will cost them much more than they tried to steal from me.

8 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

It's good advice, but we will be taking our money with us.  In the end, it will cost them much more than they tried to steal from me.

How long you live in Thailand?  Not long I guess.  You seem green to me.  If I have problem then I just pay up and move on.  Cause trouble and you will have 10x trouble back.  Not worth it for the safety of your family and your health.  One dark night and from the shadows the trouble will get your sorry butt and then to late for you all and this topic will go very quiet.  Very quiet.

5 minutes ago, GuiseppeD said:

How long you live in Thailand?  Not long I guess.  You seem green to me.  If I have problem then I just pay up and move on.  Cause trouble and you will have 10x trouble back.  Not worth it for the safety of your family and your health.  One dark night and from the shadows the trouble will get your sorry butt and then to late for you all and this topic will go very quiet.  Very quiet.

Perhaps, if you look closely in those shadows, you might see me looking back at you.  

You've just given me the Thai myth of invincibility. Don't anger the Thai people, don't push back when they wrong you because they have special voodoo powers.

C'mon.

That's nonsense.

2 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

Perhaps, if you look closely in those shadows, you might see me looking back at you.  

You've just given me the Thai myth of invincibility. Don't anger the Thai people, don't push back when they wrong you because they have special voodoo powers.

C'mon.

That's nonsense.

No invincibility just your stupid obstinate falang head will get you trouble.  You think your big man and invincible.  You know nothing. How long have you been here?  Not long, I know.

If your family are killed or injured then only you to blame.  Remember this in all aspects of Thailand.

4 minutes ago, GuiseppeD said:

So why you Jew and send to Christian school?  This is troll I'm sure.

I'm a Jew with a Jesuit University Education.  So what?

3 minutes ago, GuiseppeD said:

But you said they crossed the line with rip off on van trip.  

Religion has nothing to do with their overcharging me.  If they were true Christians, they wouldn't dare do it in the first place.  

5 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

I'm a Jew with a Jesuit University Education.  So what?

Religion has nothing to do with their overcharging me.  If they were true Christians, they wouldn't dare do it in the first place.  

Troll thread.  Good bye.

I test you with quick fire questions and you don't pass.  I live in Thailand to long and no you not right.  1000% troll.

Edited by GuiseppeD